Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

They turn up every Xmas, fat and jolly ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bobby George: "Lets see where you went wrong lad"

Classic

Aint it time to pension off Tony Green now, he's all over the place

Comment

SSK, is Martin Adams a "cunt"? He seems like quite the gentleman geezer, to me. He reminds me a lot of my stepdad. But I've only ever seen him playing darts.

Comment

Those last few sets from Chisnall against O'Shea on Saturday is some of the most devastatingly brilliant darts I've ever seen. For a time it seemed that he simply couldn't miss whatever he was going for. There was nothing O'Shea could do about it. Just a shame he couldn't quite reproduce that form for the final.

Comment

It's his totally sanctimonious attitude towards the PDC that I can't stand. Well, the BDO's attitude generally, but Adams is the epitomy of it - refusing to even play in joint events like the Grand Slam of Darts, for example.

Ending the split would clearly be for the good of the game but the BDO lumbers on with the pretence of Lakeside being a world championship when not a single player averaged higher than 97 for a single match in tournament. It's pathetic.

I know people on here don't like Sky but the PDC were totally right in the split imo - this isn't whether 'JT' earns £150k or £100k a week, it's whether people can afford to make a living from the game or not.

Comment

Well, they were right from "their" point of view - of course the top players can now earn a living from playing regular, televised events. I think I said that up above.

But I'm still not sure I'd put Barry Hearn in charge of the whole of the current BDO set-up. Don't forget, that's the lifeblood of the sport - the organisation that runs the local leagues, the county leagues, the superleagues, the VERY events that produce the players Taylor's now beating in the PDC (like Barnevald and Webster).

Could Barry Hearn run that, like Olly Croft does out of (basically) his house in Muswell Hill? I fucking doubt it. It's beyond his capability sometimes to organise two blokes hitting each other in a hotel car park, let alone 20,000 people turning up to play darts all across the country every night of the week.

Definitely, some accord should be reached so that there is only "one" World Championship, but you could say that about boxing. In the meantime, if all Adams is doing is defending the "grassroots" of darts, while still being able to take home £103k a year for winning its championship, I don't see that makes him a "cunt", I actually think all the more of him for it.

Comment

Report on Five Live suggesting Croft will hold talks with Hearn as long as certain commitments will be met as regards the grass roots.
              Adams, I don't dislike him, it's up to him what tournos he plays him. Hankey can come under the "cunt" umbrella though.

Comment

I don't know much about Hankey beyond the usual banal sportman's interviews you see on TV, but he certainly has the look of a man you wouldn't ever want to be on the wrong side of.

Comment

I more put Hankey in the 'pantomime villain' category, although I do wish he'd button his shirt up a bit higher. All the snarling and stuff's just for show though and when the PDC crowd were booing him he showed he was actually quite sensitive.

It doesn't seem beyond the wit of man that you have one organisation where Hearn promotes the pro aspect and other people run the grassroots aspect. It's not like grassroots football has fallen apart since the EPL came in - the FA probably make more money to plow back into it.

Adams defending the grassroots is one way to look at it - another is that he stays in the BDO to make £100k from beating average players because he knows he'd be shown up in the PDC.

Great news though if Five Live is correct.

Comment

Phil Taylor shows off by winning the darts league, and scoring TWO 9 darters in 10 legs, beating James Wade 10-8 in the final.

Comment

I rather enjoy the darts, there's always something happening, if the current game is pish another will be along in ten minutes anyway, and as has been said, the weird juxtaposition of men who, at first sight, often seem incapable of completing a questionnaire with one question on it, and that question being "What is your name?", performing feats of mental arithmetic that I for one am left flundering with, coupled with what is a pretty impressive skill of getting the bloody darts in the right place (again, no chance with me, I settle for in the board) is a great spectacle.

I have a particular fondness for Ronnie Baxter, he seems extremely affable and quite pleased to be there even if he's taking a pounding.

Comment

Taylor just seems to be taking the piss now. Rather in the manner of a Sergei Bubka raising the pole vault world record by a centimetre every year for a decade, you get the sense that he could have been playing at this level all along, but has been keeping his powder dry in order to a) toy with his opponents or b) make it more "fun" for the fans.

If the latter, fair play to him. There's no doubt no-one would turn up to any major darts event if they knew Taylor was going to win every single match 10-0. And his mnoey depends as much on keeping it interesting as it does on simply watching him win (which he invariably does anyway).

I've never seen, before, a 9-darter that began with 2 treble 19s. I'm not sure anyone has, actually. If Taylor really is this good, it would kill the sport. It would be like men's tennis where one player could just go "bang, bang, bang, game" on both service games and in returning serve and not lose a point. At least in Athletics, where you have a surefire winner like Usain Bolt, there's the attraction of wondering if he'll beat his world records or something. In a matchplay sport, if someone just wins by smashing his opponents into dust, then that's it, really.

Comment

Have we covered this?;

"Bonnie Taylor"

Comment

Working...
                          X