Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David Shepherd Dies

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/oct/28/david-shepherd-obituary

A sad die for sport, the hops on Nelsons made cricket worth watching.

David Shepherd Dies

The worst thing about neutral umpires was the vanishing of Shepherd from our screens. (Before Sky, obviously...)

Comment

David Shepherd Dies

Aye, an appropriate suggested tribute to him on the Cricinfo Facebook group.

Comment

David Shepherd Dies

Does anyone know what the longest he had to stand on one leg was?

Comment

David Shepherd Dies

It would have been appropriate if he'd lived to be 111.

Comment

David Shepherd Dies

Sad indeed. The best English umpire, I think.

I'm not sure what the fact he played for my county for 14 years says about the standard of cricket in the seventies, mind.

Comment

David Shepherd Dies

The latest issue of the Wisden Cricketer contains a fantastic photo of Shepherd batting for Gloucester in the Seventies. Everything about his demeanour - the overweight stooping over the bat, the obvious absence of any backlift in his stance, the long-sleeved shirt untidily rolled up a little bit, the lack of helmet or cap or any sort of logo anywhere other than on his bat - encapsulates, in its way, everything that's changed about professional cricket in the last 30-40 years. It's a cracking image.

I don't know if Robin Carmody follows cricket but if he did, he'd probably say something about it with reference to Heath, Wilson and the Beatles singing in American accents.

Comment

David Shepherd Dies

I'm currently ploughing manfully through the quiz from this month's 'Wisden Cricketer'.

Great prizes, but they make you work for them.

Comment

Working...
                X