Early draws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early draws

Has the cricket world cup 2011 just created some sort of record by drawing its finals groups a full sixteen months before the tournament even begins?

Not a draw for qualifying matches, which might have needed to be played between now and February 2011; they've already taken place. The finals groups themselves, 2 pools of 7.

I can't think of a single reason why they've done this draw already, unless everyone just thought "oh bollocks, might as well get it over with". Surely the point is to use the draw to re-generate interest in the forthcoming event, a little nearer the time?

Early draws

Isn't this all part of the apparently endless "negotiations" with the Ejaz Butt and those other lovely fellows on the Pakistan board over matches not being played in Pakistan? In this case, the bone being thrown by the ICC is that Pakistan won't play any group matches in India.

Incidentally, I was reading yesterday that rival Pakistani parlimentarians have accused a) the Pakistan team of throwing the matches against both Australia and New Zealand, and b) the Indians of having "influenced" the match officials in the NZ match.

Does cricket have the most inept administrators of any sport with global pretentions?

Comment

Early draws

Boxing might beat them for that title.

Comment

Early draws

Sadly, as a big fan, I'd have to go for rugby.

Comment

Early draws

The preliminary draw for the Rugby World Cup happened months ago, for an event still two years away. Nobody noticed.

I don't understand cricket's early draws. Why do captains shake hands and agree nobody can win a Test on a lifeless pitch, when there's still half an hour left to play and a couple of hat-tricks could win the game? Especially if England are batting.

Comment

Early draws

Because the bar's open?

Comment

Working...
            X