Picking a Winner for 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I don't get about the Rio decision is that I've been led to understand that there's a fair bit of nervousness in FIFA about how well preparations for 2014 are going - in particular the transportation infrastructure. The Olympics are much more complicated to run than a world cup - more venues in a smaller space over a shorter period of time. Forget all the geo-political BS about how it's South America's turn: if there's worries about 2014, how can one be confident about 2016 going off well?

Comment

Antonio Gramsci wrote:
      What I don't get about the Rio decision is that I've been led to understand that there's a fair bit of nervousness in FIFA about how well preparations for 2014 are going - in particular the transportation infrastructure. The Olympics are much more complicated to run than a world cup - more venues in a smaller space over a shorter period of time. Forget all the geo-political BS about how it's South America's turn: if there's worries about 2014, how can one be confident about 2016 going off well?
      They honestly had the worst plan out of the four cities, logistically.

It's basically 4 different sites spread out over ALL of Rio. I haven't been to Rio, but if it's anything at all like every other Latin American megacity, transversing it multiple times a day will not be pretty. But add closed lanes on the highways, because they will be dedicated to whisk athletes around the city and all the tourists. It's going to be a giant headache for a lot of people.

Comment

The bridge from Malmö to Copenhagen was closed twice on Friday for two hours, all because Barack Obama was using the airport nearby. Stupid Olympics.

Comment

Working...
        X