Bernard Dunne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bernard Dunne

Smashed to pieces tonight in the third round by an unheralded Thai.

Three knockdowns in that round -- the first one was the killer, and he looked a dead man after it. For the other two, the Thai barely had to breathe on him. He was gone already.

Dunne wasn't so out of it that he forgot to thank Hunky Dorys during his interview afterwards (heaven forfend), but surely this is the end of him as a credible world-class fighter. He's a decent boxer but he simply leaves his hands down too many times.

Bernard Dunne

Unheralded? Come off it.

Poonsawat has been the number one contender for a long time, and is a super puncher. Dunne got his title bout because Cordoba didn't want to fight him.

And while you're right that he was essentially a dead man walking after that first knockdown, he didn't do a terrible job of getting his rhythm back in the time and space available; the second and third knockdowns were every bit as hard.

I don't think this is the end of him at all, though we might well now see him move up a weight class. His problem certainly wasn't one of technique, because when he applied himself to it he won the first two rounds pretty comfortably. The error was to get suckered into coming in close and slugging the guy, a game he was always going to lose. The crowd probably didn't help. But it was a matter of losing the head, not dropping hands.

Comment

Bernard Dunne

Pollyanna Magee continues to be a national embarrassment, btw.

Comment

Bernard Dunne

Jimmy Magee is great.

Dunne got his title bout because Cordoba didn't want to fight him.

No, last night's fight happened because Dunne's people took too long to line up an alternative (weaker) opponent. The governing body then stepped in.

I don't think this is the end of him at all, though we might well now see him move up a weight class.

What would be the point of that? His chin isn't strong enough for him to beat bigger guys.

It's a pattern we've seen in his fights time and again. As well as the Martinez KO, he got away with it against Cordoba in a fight that should have been stopped in Cordoba's favour in the 5th, and he got away with it against the Russian, who almost killed him at the very end of that fight (Dunne was knocked down twice in the final round).

You can train and train all you like but, if you are as susceptible to a hard punch as he is, no amount of technical ability will save you. Dunne could have run away from the Thai a bit more last night, but let's face it, all he would have done was get a few extra rounds out of it.

Comment

Bernard Dunne

i have rarely seen such a mismatch. poonsawat bore down directly on dunne, whose flimsy punches seemed to bounce off his little bullet head. dunne's own head seemed outsized, balloonlike, an unmissable target for poonsawat's savagely chopping fists.

Comment

Bernard Dunne

Dunne got his title bout because Cordoba didn't want to fight him.

No, last night's fight happened because Dunne's people took too long to line up an alternative (weaker) opponent. The governing body then stepped in.
            Okay, see, that not only doesn't contradict what I saidat all about the circumstances in which Dunne got his shot at the title, it backs up my point about the nonsense of calling Poonsawat "unheralded".

Comment

Bernard Dunne

The apparent idea that a fight is over and should be stopped as soon as someone hits the ground is ludicrous as well.

I see you've discarded the "dropped hands" line.

Comment

Bernard Dunne

he apparent idea that a fight is over and should be stopped as soon as someone hits the ground is ludicrous as well.

Fucking hell, did you actually see that Dunne/Cordoba fight or are you just guessing? No way should it have been allowed to continue.

Comment

Bernard Dunne

He was knocked down badly, but recovered well, which is one of his strengths. And he was well on top by the time he won. The referee was quite right to let it continue, he was badly knocked but - quite evidently - not unrecoverably so. Cordoba should have pressed him much harder straight after the knockdown rather than letting him get his shit back together. That's a mistake Poonsawat didn't make.

Do I take it you've conceded all the other points you've made and haven't addressed my rebuttals of?

Comment

Bernard Dunne

Analogue Bubblebath wrote:
                    Jimmy Magee is great.
                    The man's a legend.

Grew up with him and George Hamilton. Along with the O'Hehir clan who were also great.

Comment

Bernard Dunne

You're a fuckwit. Are you going to explain what you meant by me "defending" the BNP on that other thread, or are you going to retract it?

Comment

Bernard Dunne

Whoever buys advertising space for O'Neills Sportswear certainly knows their boxing . . .

Comment

Bernard Dunne

Toro, you know Munchkin's a fuckwit, I know Munchkin's a fuckwit, everyone on the board knows Munchkin's a fuckwit.

One thing to know about fuckwits is that trying to reason with them, or expecting to extract any sort of reason from them, is a futile exercise. Best to just ignore them completely, surely? I mean, no one pays the remotest attention to what he says so it's not like anyone's going to have read his deranged gibberish and suddenly thought less of you.

Comment

Bernard Dunne

I didn't see this fight, but by no manner or means was poonswat thingy unheralded. Indeed the couple of foreign journalists (UK and US) I heard previewing this fight predicted that something like this could easily happen.

Comment

Bernard Dunne

Hofzinser wrote:
                              I know Munchkin's a fuckwit, everyone on the board knows Munchkin's a fuckwit.

One thing to know about fuckwits is that trying to reason with them, or expecting to extract any sort of reason from them, is a futile exercise. Best to just ignore them completely, surely? I mean, no one pays the remotest attention to what he says so it's not like anyone's going to have read his deranged gibberish and suddenly thought less of you.
                              Yeah, commenting on Jimmy Magee and Irish sports commentators in general, is of course 'f*ck-witted'.

Get over yourself.

Comment

Bernard Dunne

Hof - there's a lot to what you say, which is why I'm not going atomic over it. Still and all, I can't be doing with people accusing me of that, regardless of how seriously anybody likely to read it doesn't take them.

Comment

Working...
                                X