A Belated Phoenix Coyotes Apocalypse Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Shinpeelers is my all-time favourite hockey team name. It hasn't been used in over a hundred years but the glorious new Winnipeg franchise will wear it proudly I'm sure.

Mosquitoes (the official provincial bird)

Riels (nah)

Prairie Oysters

Last Gas Before Wawa

Comment

I'm still partial to the Rat-Portage Thistles. Other favorites include the Flin-Flon Bombers and Trail Smokeeaters, but all of those names owe as much to the name of the town as the nickname.

What's a Shinpeeler?

Minnesota's NLL indoor lacrosse franchise is the only team of any kind that I know of that has taken the mosquito as a mascot. But they're called The Minnesota Swarm.

Comment

The Edmonton Trappers were a AAA team for about 20 years; they kept changing major league affiliation (including the Angels, White Sox and Expos).

Did Voyageurs ever make it to Winnipeg? I guess they must have given the Metis, but I always associated them with points east.

How about the Golden Boys?

Comment

The Festival du Voyageur is held in Winnipeg. The Northwest Company had a fort there.

Comment

What's a Shinpeeler?

Someone wielding a stick with a curved blade, that's swung very hard at somebody else's legs (and a rubber puck occasionally.)

Comment

I have a feeling the City and the Province own the name "The Jets". It's what they got to keep after all the tens of millions they poured down the tube trying to kep the franchise afloat in the 90s.

If I'm wrong about this, then the most likely owner is the league itself. Either way, if a team comes back to Winnipeg, it's going to be called the Jets. There Is No Alternative.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote:
                Did Voyageurs ever make it to Winnipeg? I guess they must have given the Metis, but I always associated them with points east.
                Absolutely! Manitoba is simply covered in voyageur posts. Portage La Prairie, Dauphin, The Pas, Lac Du Bonnet, etc.

The route, if you can picture it, is that they would head west up to the great lakes and then up the watershed to the very peak. then over into the Lake of the Woods basin, through Lake of the Woods, and up the Winnipeg River into Lake Winnipeg. If they wanted to go trade with Nishnaabe or plains cree, they'd probably head south down the red River towards Winnipeg; if they were off in search of furs and trade with the northern cree, they'd head to the north of Lake Winnipeg and go west up the North Saskatchewan river and into shield country towards what is now Prince Albert that way. That's how you got metis communities in Saskatchewan such as the ones that begat the Batoche rebellion in 1885 and, much later, Bryan Trottier.

Comment

This is like some hand of poker where everyone is bluffing. Reinsdorf says he's out, and Ice Edge are seemingly having trouble stumping up the cash.

Comment

If Ice Edge really have to supply proof of funding in ten days, the trucks will be on the road to Winnipeg within two weeks.

That said, my bet would be on Glendale giving them more time due to "market turmoil".

Comment

Working...
                    X