I just don't get the FedEx Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mean to say, I "get" it - the 4 richest sponsors of USPGA Tour events get together, and badger the tour to bunch their events in a "season finale" series that will lead to the crowning of a "FedEx Cup Champion", along with $10m, in an effort to keep golf on at least the inside back pages at a time when most US sports fans are now more interested in the impending MLB playoffs, the US Open tennis and even the pre-season NFL games.

But the format of it is so contrived - pretty much everyone on tour got to play in the first "playoff" event, the Barclays at New Jersey, so that it was won by Heath Slocum, who until last week was ranked 124th on tour. Because everyone's season-long points tally was "revalued" going into the playoffs, Slocum suddenly jumps from 124th to 3rd in the "FedEx Cup" standings with that one victory.

After another couple of weeks of this, the top 30 will go to the Tour Championship, where everyone's season-long points will yet again be revalued in a way that will probably but only probably mean the winner of the Tour Championship winning the FedEx Cup and the $10m with it, but in such a complicated system that no-one might know what the hell's going on if all the top seeds are halfway down the field. Why not just stick with the fact of what it is, and have a single Tour Championship event worth $10m to the winner, a bit like the tennis end-of-season Masters event?

And so here it is, the richest single sporting event for individuals to be held this year. As expected, Tiger Woods is "number one seed", which means he can win with just, er, 2nd place, unless one of the other top 5 seeds wins. Simple! Actually he might be champion with 4th place, if the 10th seed wins and ... oh, it's simple, really, the PGA Tour website explains it all really clearly:

If No. 1 TIGER WOODS wins THE TOUR Championship : Guaranteed to win FedExCup

If No. 2 STEVE STRICKER wins THE TOUR Championship: Guaranteed to win FedExCup

If No. 3 JIM FURYK wins THE TOUR Championship: Guaranteed to win FedExCup

If No. 4 ZACH JOHNSON wins THE TOUR Championship: Guaranteed to win FedExCup

If No. 5 HEATH SLOCUM wins THE TOUR Championship: Guaranteed to win FedExCup

If No. 6 PADRAIG HARRINGTON wins THE TOUR Championship: Tiger Woods must finish third or worse

If No. 7 SEAN O'HAIR wins THE TOUR Championship : Tiger Woods must finish third or worse; Steve Stricker must finish third or worse

If No. 8 SCOTT VERPLANK wins THE TOUR Championship: Tiger Woods must finish fourth or worse; Steve Stricker must finish third or worse

If No. 9 KENNY PERRY wins THE TOUR Championship: Tiger Woods must finish fourth or worse; Steve Stricker must finish third or worse; Jim Furyk must finish third or worse

If No. 10 JASON DUFNER wins THE TOUR Championship: Tiger Woods must finish fifth or worse; Steve Stricker must finish fourth or worse; Jim Furyk must finish third or worse; Zach Johnson must finish third or worse

If No. 11 DUSTIN JOHNSON wins THE TOUR Championship: Tiger Woods must finish seventh or worse; Steve Stricker must finish fifth or worse; Jim Furyk must finish fourth or worse; Zach Johnson must finish third or worse; Heath Slocum must finish third or worse

If No. 12 NICK WATNEY wins THE TOUR Championship: Tiger Woods must finish seventh or worse; Steve Stricker must finish fifth or worse; Jim Furyk must finish fourth or worse; Zach Johnson must finish third or worse; Heath Slocum must finish third or worse

And so on and so on, down to

If No. 29 JERRY KELLY wins THE TOUR Championship: Tiger Woods must finish 28th or worse; Steve Stricker must finish seventh or worse; Jim Furyk must finish fifth or worse; Zach Johnson must finish fourth or worse; Heath Slocum must finish third or worse; Padraig Harrington must finish third or worse

If No. 30 JOHN SENDEN wins THE TOUR Championship: Tiger Woods must finish last; Steve Stricker must finish seventh or worse; Jim Furyk must finish fifth or worse; Zach Johnson must finish fourth or worse; Heath Slocum must finish third or worse; Padraig Harrington must finish third or worse

Comment

It must be important for Geoff Ogilvy to get his priorities so wrong:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/geoff-ogilvy-barracks-for-saints-from-afar/story-e6frf9if-1225779061636

Comment

Given that I've never even fucking heard of Jason Dufner, and I like to consider myself a golf fan, I'm going to put £5 on him with Willy Hills to win this Fed Ex Cup shindig. He would appear to only need the top five seeds all to finish out of the top five, as well.

I'm going by GO's maxim that in any major golfing event, "an unknown journeyman US pro will more likely win it as not".

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
          Given that I've never even fucking heard of Jason Dufner...
          Well I'm glad it's not just me.

Comment

Working...
          X