More GOATS...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More GOATS...

Thinking more about the Usain Bolt phenomenon, we've now got three - perhaps four - current athletes who can plausibly claim to be the greatest in the history of a "major" sport. Bolt, Tiger Woods, Roger Federer, maybe Michael Phelps?

Has this happened before? And why can't I think of any comparable women?

More GOATS...

Toro: Count On It wrote:
    any comparable women?
    Martina Navratalova?

Comment

More GOATS...

Marta?

Comment

More GOATS...

Marta, perhaps, yeah.

Jamie, what I mean is currently active ones who are unquestionably, or very likely, the best who've ever done what they do.

Comment

More GOATS...

Funnily enough, a very similar thought occurred to me earlier this week. You could arguably have added Schumacher to the list if he'd made his comeback.

I think to settle this we'd have to draw up a list of 'major sports' and then work out plausible candidates for the greatest ever in all of them, and see what era comes out best.

Also, are we confining this to individual pursuits?

I totally agree with you about Woods and Federer, but I'd imagine there will be advocates for Nicklaus, Laver and Borg at least.

Comment

More GOATS...

Add Phil 'The Power' Taylor to the list an all.

Although a bit rich to describe him as an 'athelete'

As for women? Um, yeah, got me stumped....

My missis has invented the ultimate spare ribs marinade if that counts?

Comment

More GOATS...

In the early 70s, you would have had Nicklaus, Pele, Laver, Eddie Merckx, Muhammad Ali, Billie Jean King and Mark Spitz, with honorable mentions to people like Willie Mays and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Athletics is difficult, as I don't really think that you can compare sprinters with middle distance runners, let alone long distance runners and field athletes.

Comment

More GOATS...

Well if we're having Phil Taylor then we can have Stephen Hendry too.

Comment

More GOATS...

Except Hendry today isn't the GOAT, even though he is still active. Just like Navratilova couldn't have claimed this three years ago, despite her still playing slam singles tournaments. Though I wouldn't argue that his 90's incarnation deserves the title.

And anyway, we can't have Phil Taylor as darts fails the major sports criterion. So Hendry is out as well.

Comment

More GOATS...

How can darts not be a sport if golf is?

Comment

Working...
                    X