Golf in London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golf in London

Anyone here play golf and live in London? I am a keen golfer, but find it hard to play a nice course here what with my lack of car and all that jazz. Any recommendations?

I have played up at Oakwood, and that was beautiful. I live saaaahf of the river so somewhere closer is preferable.

Golf in London

Couple of nice ones in the Kent part of London, down by Coulsden.

Silvermere over by Cobham/Byfleet is very nice.

Comment

Golf in London

The easiest in Sarf London is the Central London Golf Club in Wandsworth. But it's a rubbish 9 hole course with fairways that feel like they're made of concrete and very close holes so you often need a tin helmet.

Silvermere is quite nice, but not that cheap - the 17th where you have to hit a long way over the water (where they tested the bouncing bomb, I think) is a hard, hard hole for someone as bad as me.

I really like Surrey National down by Coulsden. I don't know any others over that way, but there are a few. And Leatherhead Golf Club is really friendly and an enjoyable course with lots of variety. But often quite slow because there are, for some reason, lots of Japanese who play there, and they sometimes take a long time over their putts.

Last Saturday I played a place called Traditions, just outside the M25, off the A3, on a dirt, dirt cheap twilight rate.

I have no idea, unfortunately, how you'd get to any of these without a car - apart from CLGC which is on the peripatetic G1 bus route - Leatherhead might be easiest, because it's only a little way past Chessington World of Adventures, so there's probably a bus.

Comment

Golf in London

Cheers chaps. The Coulsden one looks promising. I sometimes play with my brother who usually goes with a friend with a car.

Comment

Golf in London

Depends where in south London you are, but if you're south east then you could try any of the following.

Without a car you can play Beckenham Place Park, which is close to both Beckenham Hill and Beckenham Junction stations. You can turn up without pre-booking a tee off time here if you don't mind hanging around a while.

With a car I'd recommend High Elms (out Bromley way) which is a fine course.

A bit further out into Kent is Darenth Valley which is lovely.

Also, there's Pedham Place, which although not the most exciting course, is always in good condition - the greens are superb even in deepest winter - and is playable all the year round.

Comment

Golf in London

I played High Elms not long ago. A nice course, and you'll probably find about 50 of my balls lost in the woods.

Comment

Golf in London

There are/were a couple of public course over in Richmond, but this was about 20 years ago, so you may have to Google 'em.

Comment

Golf in London

http://www.dulwichgolf.co.uk/

Worth it for the views of London as much as anything and only half a mile from Sydenham Hill rail station.

Comment

Golf in London

Also a few round Croydon area - Shirley Park (good), Addington (not played it but looks good) and Addington Court (short but OK) and a couple of others in the same area.

There's also Mitcham, which is shit.

Comment

Golf in London

Oh, and don't forget there are at least three courses in Wimbledon.

Comment

Golf in London

... and, still reachable on public transport but North this time, there are a couple in the Finchley area. Finchley is a nice, well established and interesting course five minutes from Mill Hill East station and there's another which I can't remember the name of nearby.

Comment

Golf in London

As for the recommendations further South, I'd bypass Leatherhead if you're going that far out and head for Gatton Manor, it's much better. Might be a bit tricky to get to on public transport though.

Comment

Golf in London

Thinking about this... I cant remember ever seeing anyone with a golf bag and clubs on London public transport in my 19 years living there.

Of course, it is a big place.

Comment

Golf in London

The island green they've made in Hyde Park in homage to the TPC at Sawgrass would be a nice hole, if they could keep the bloody walkers out of the water hazard. Still, that's municipal courses for you...

Comment

Golf in London

Gerontophile wrote:
                              Thinking about this... I cant remember ever seeing anyone with a golf bag and clubs on London public transport in my 19 years living there.

Of course, it is a big place.
                              When I have, it's been on tubes or trains out in the 'burbs, typically around the start of the am. rush-hour.

Comment

Golf in London

Twilight Johnny Atom wrote:
                                http://www.dulwichgolf.co.uk/

Worth it for the views of London as much as anything and only half a mile from Sydenham Hill rail station.
                                Until I clicked on the link I'd always assumed this was a private course and had never thought of playing here. Thanks for the recommendation. This is pretty close to where I live.

Has anyone ever played the Aquarius? It's a funny-looking, featureless 9-hole course built on top of a Thames Water reservoir close to Peckham Rye. It was closed for years due to flooding as the membrane covering the reservoir had been pierced, but was re-opened a few years ago.

Comment

Golf in London

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. Dulwich looks very tempting. I live near Elephant btw.

Comment

Golf in London

I used to live in Epsom and the course up by Epsom Downs looked quite nice. Would be a bit of a walk from Epsom Downs Station, but just about doable. Epsom Station to there would be quite a hike.

Comment

Golf in London

Just round the corner from me then, El Nacud.

and, still reachable on public transport but North this time, there are a couple in the Finchley area
                                      Hendon Golf Club, 10 minutes or so walk from Mill Hill East is a cracking course and you can play as a non-member after 12.30 at the weekend. It's never busy, it was designed by Henry Colt who did Wentworth and Sunningdale as well as remodelling Muirfield and it's only about £35 a round.
                                      Played there a lot when my flat looked out over the 14th tee. The greens are the best I've ever played on.

Comment

Working...
                                      X