The fish swam out of the ocean...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do we think of (nearly) chart-topping, God-bothering, Australio-American homosexual electro-funker Sam Sparro, then?

I've seen him live and played his album twice, and I'm coming round to thinking he's rather fine (even though I could live without the Gnarls Barkley vocal inflections).

I expect him to be hated by the same people who can't get along with Calvin Harris, but there you go...

His voice is really meh. I'd like it otherwise.

He reminds me of Jay Kay for some reason.

Comment

'That single' is ace, is all I am qualified to say. Far better then anything I've heard by Calvin Harris. Is 'black and gold' some kind of sexual euphemism?

Comment

King Mob wrote:
        'That single' is ace, is all I am qualified to say. Far better then anything I've heard by Calvin Harris. Is 'black and gold' some kind of sexual euphemism?
        No, it's about losing your religion, and fear of an empty cosmos. (Sparro is a doubting Christian.)

Comment

Right. A bit of metaphorical dentistry for the creationists, then.

I'll tell you what else - in 2002, techno boffin Luke Slater made an album, 'Alright On Top', with ex-Aloof singer Ricky Barrow, and 'Black and Gold' would fit absolutely seamlessly between any of the tracks. In fact, I'm willing to bet you could fool almost anyone who'd heard 'Black and Gold' into thinking that 'Alright On Top' was the Sam Sparro album.

Comment

So when Sam Sparro looks at her (or a chihuahua looks at an alsatian, and indeed vice-versa), do you think he thinks "I'm one of those, that's a bit like me, give or take the scale and a few superficial details", or does he think of her as completely alien species?

Comment

Working...
            X