John Maus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Maus

I'm as late as you can possibly be on this guy, seeing as his last album, "Love is Real" was released in 2007, but he is utterly fantastic. A one time collaborator with Ariel Pink and Panda Bear, I guess you'd describe his music as a more synth inspired variation of Ariel Pink's music on "House Arrest".

I went to see him play live the other night and I sort of knew what to expect from clips on Youtube. He doesn't play with a band nor any live instruments, he just presses play on a sampler, which plays a song of his choosing in its entirety, vocals included. Over this, he sings fairly muffled vocals which are fed through a delay pedal and whilst he sings, he dances like an utter maniac in a complete trance. How much of this is for show and how much is real is questionable, but I don't have any problem with someone getting into character, as he did at the beginning of the show by constantly screaming until his face went red.

Anyway, care a share time: John Maus - Do Your Best. I think it is impossible not to like this song.

John Maus

I may be wrong here but wasn't John Maus the name of obe of the Walker Brothers? Same guy?

Comment

John Maus

I find a whole album too much in one go but I do like playing 'My Whole World Is Falling Apart' when I'm DJing.

Comment

A decade on, I've just been turned onto this guy by a cool gal at work. Listening to his recent Addendum on heavy rotation. Screen Memories is also very catchy.

Is Steveeeeeee still around?

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
          John Maus

I may be wrong here but wasn't John Maus the name of obe of the Walker Brothers? Same guy?
          No, 'this' John Maus was born in 1980, so a bit too young for the Walkers. (The other John Maus - aka John Walker - passed on eight years ago anyway.)

(Edit: Ha - just seen how long ago that was posted! Apologies...)
          Last edited by Jah Womble; 09-02-2019, 17:17.

Comment

I think he's pretty good, but an album at a sitting is enough John Maus for me. My favourites are Bennington and his cover of Molly Nilsson's Hey Moon.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
              A decade on, I've just been turned onto this guy by a cool gal at work. Listening to his recent Addendum on heavy rotation. Screen Memories is also very catchy.

Is Steveeeeeee still around?
              He pops in now and again WOM.

Comment

I really like Outer Space and Middle Ages from Addendum. Screen Memories, his previous album, has some outstanding tracks too - The Combine, Touchdown.

Comment

Working...
                X