Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alleged shit songs

SamLKelly wrote:
    Blimey. Just done it and that's not the 'Midnight At The Oasis' I know. Compare and contrast...

The original

The Heavies funkin' it up (suddenly the line 'you won't need no camel / when I take you for a ride' makes sense)

Annoyingly I've not been able to find the Pleasure version (which is better than either of these) on YouTube or Imeem. If anyone wants it I can care & share tomorrow night...
    Having been to see the Brand New Heavies in London on Wednesday night, and seen them do this live, I got back to my best mate Nick's flat (he went with me) and proceeded to look up the Pleasure version. He knows of them but hadn't heard that song before.

And it's gone up on YouTube. So, without further ado...

The squelchiest, deepest-groovey version of 'Midnight At The Oasis' you could ever hope to hear. The Heavies version is definitely based on the original whereas this - released only 2 years after Muldaur's song - is a different direction entirely. And I love it.

Comment

Alleged shit songs

Sounds like Earth Wind & Fire......

Very nice, though I still prefer Muldaur's version.

Comment

Alleged shit songs

Speaking of midnight at the oasis, Toward the end of gross out teen flick American pie (no, stay with me a minute) during the prom scene, there is a band that sings that very song, and up to now, having listened to all of the various versions, Maria Mulduars, brand new heavies, Ramsey lewis trio, Hubert laws and now the pleasure version, (I went on a mission to find the American pie version a while back with no success) this remains the one that I prefer, as the singer in that film sings it with just the right amount of silkiness in his voice, man it so smoooooth.

All of the other versions are too showy for me, whereas this one is nicely subtle, and I wish I could get hold of it.
        It Isn't on the American pie soundtrack which doesn't help.
        Unless any of you know any different regarding it's existence...

Comment

Alleged shit songs

That'll be a no then.
          Ta.

Comment

Alleged shit songs

MsD wrote: Well, it's of its time, there were lots of songs like that lyrically. Hal David penned a fair few doormat-friendly lyrics with Burt Bacharach songs like Wives and Lovers and Waitin', Wishin' and Hopin' but they have such great tunes no-one really minds.
            It's nice to see that I'm consistent, also nice to read

G.Man wants a hyphen wrote:
            MsD is spot-on about "I've Never Been To Me" (and about pretty much everything ...

Comment

Alleged shit songs

Like a prize prune, I click on the opening-post link and sink into deep frustration that I cannot see what it is about which everyone's so up-in-arms here. Only then do I observe the date(s) on this five-year-old thread...

Ten minutes I'll never get back, eh?

It's no Ventura Highway, granted, but there's nowt wrong with Horse With No Name in my book.

Comment

Alleged shit songs

[quote]MsD wrote:
                Originally posted by G.Man wants a hyphen
                MsD is spot-on about "I've Never Been To Me" (and about pretty much everything ...
                When I got my hyphen I lost my love for you.

Comment

Alleged shit songs

tactictoe wrote: That'll be a no then.
                  Ta.
                  This bloke, David Kuhn.

http://www.thekuhnbrothers.com/david/

Comment

Alleged shit songs

MsD wrote:
                    Originally posted by tactictoe
                    That'll be a no then.
                    Ta.
                    This bloke, David Kuhn.

http://www.thekuhnbrothers.com/david/
                    Oh gawd, look at my pissy-pants bump post. The shame.

MsD, you absolute bloody beauty! High-five!

Comment

Working...
                    X