I'm 'fessing up, I quite like a Nickelback song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not exactly blowing any cool quotient or a position as paragon of good taste on here but, er, I don't mind , even quite enjoy, that 'Rock Star' song and video when it comes on.

I think I realised this when I was in the barbers the other day and it was followed by that awful Arctic Monkeys' 'Scooomy Man' song and I thought "Bloody hell, that Nickelback one was 374 times better than this"

I wouldn't buy it, I obviously still think the band themselves are laughable crap but, you know, nearly every terrible act has their 'Sultans of Swing' or 'Living it Up (The Sun Goes Down)' don't they?

Oh dear God.

Quite apart from being thoroughly appalling, the popularity of that song has reopened the door for late 90s corporate grunge/soft metal. Nickelback are now big enough to play the 02, and their chosen support band is Staind.

Anyway, you've got the wrong Level 42 song. "Hot Water" is the one. (And the wrong Dire Straits song. Should've been "Romeo And Juliet".)

Comment

I considered 'Romeo & Juliet' but 'Sultans of Swing' seemed more apt in a mail about Nickelback.

Quite frankly, I will fight at a time and date of their choosing any man who claims 'Living it Up' is not Level 42's finest (nay, only listenable) work.

Comment

Pick on someone your own size.

Comment

Bot Hot Water and Living It Up are fine songs. And Romeo And Juliet trumps Sultans Of Swing (though I really like Tunnel Of Love as well).

Now, as carcass will attest, I have a deplorable weakness for the corporate grunge thing. I like the Goo Goo Dolls, for crying out loud. I even rather liked Nickelback's other hit, the This Is How You Remind Me song. But Rockstar is a terrible, appalling, revolting and intolerable song (I quite liked the video though).

Comment

I arrived too early for a movie once. The theatre sold ad space onscreen and over the speakers. One of the two...count 'em...two spots that rotated through was for that dreadfully dull 'Name' song off 'A Boy Named Goo'. Picture hearing the words Goo Goo Dolls, A Boy Named Goo, and the piss-thin chorus of 'Name' every minute or so for maybe 40 or 45 minutes. I hated them with a ferocity that has not been reached by Nickelback nor anyone else since then. Had I not been with others, I'd have gone to the lobby and wept openly.

Comment

My four year old son adores that Nickelback song. When we're in the car, he won't stop singing it. At least, until I put on 'Waving Flags', which is his other favourite.

'Lessons In Love' was Level 42's best single and, I'm afraid to say, 'Money For Nothing' was Dire Straits' finest 7" moment.

Comment

I'd go for Brothers in Arms (the song) as the acceptable Dire Straits one. That, and Romeo and Juliet, but that'll do.

There is, however, never ever an excuse or purpose for Nickelback - that whiney cunt's voice makes me feel physically ill.

Comment

Rockstar as a song is ok, though I'm sick of it by now. The video with the celebrities is awesome. Apart from that, they can go die in a fire. (Although the Kroeger's sister is a nice sort, though).

Comment

My "song of shame" is Alice Deejay's 'Better Off Alone'. As dance music it's entirely reprehensible, but if taken as electropop it's actually quite good in a minimal Vince Clarke kind of way. I'd love to hear someone like Lali Puna do a really slowed down blissed-out cover of it too.

Comment

Baxendale changed the line to 'Better off at home' in the middle of 'Summer of Hate (Fuck Ibiza)', if I'm thinking of the same song.

Comment

I think I've realised why I like it and it's because it isn't "corporate grunge/soft metal" but because it reminds me of Hank Williams Jnr's seminal work ( I realise this may not be a step up, taste-wise).

Comment

There's no need to pick just one - Sultans of Swing, Walk of Life and Romeo and Juliet are all great songs. Dire Straits may be Jeremy Clarkson rock but they could write a good tune or two.

And yes, Alice Deejay's Better Off Alone is indeed very good.

Comment

"Uptown Girl" is surely the winner in the category of tolerable stuff by the otherwise criminally poor.

I wouldn't agree that every rubbish act is redeemed like this, though. For example, that thing by the Housemartins that some have cited as being "great pop" actually makes me want to kill someone. ("Someone" here means "Paul Heaton".)

Comment

Which Housemartins thing?

Comment

'Uptown Girl' is appalling, 'Still Rock & Roll to Me', shirley?

The Housemartins had dozens of ace songs, 'Now that's what I call quite good' is one of my favourite all time compilations (to prove it fact fans, I have owned it on vinyl, tape and CD).

Comment

"Happy Hour". And I'd argue that it is indeed great pop (although I quite like the Housemartins in general anyway).

Comment

Nickelback are now big enough to play the 02, and their chosen support band is Staind.
                                    Jesus suffering Christ.

Comment

Oof. All we need now is Puddle Of Mudd to join in the fun.

Comment

Funny that that the one Billy Joel song (of the defensible era, up to 1983) I don't like at all is Wyatt's favourite.

Billy Joel's best songs were almost all album tracks. "Summer, Highland Falls" is the best of them.

And the Housemartins were great. It's just that some of the goofy lyrics annoy me (Me And The Farmer!).

Comment

What on earth is 'goofy' about the lyrics to Me And The Farmer?

"Me and the farmer get on fine,
                                          Through stormy weather and bottles of wine,
                                          If I pull my weight he'll treat me well
                                          But if I'm late he'll give me hell.

And though it's all hard work no play,
                                          Farmer is a happy crook,
                                          Jesus hates him everyday,
                                          'Cause Jesus gave and farmer took.

(Won't he let you go?) probably no
                                          (Won't he let you go?) probably no
                                          (Why does he treat you so?) I just don't know
                                          (Why does he treat you so?) I just don't know
                                          Me and farmer like brother, like sister,
                                          Getting on like hand and blister
                                          Me and farmer.

He's chopped down sheep, planted trees
                                          And helped the countryside to breathe
                                          Ripped up fields, bullied flocks
                                          And worked his workers right around the clock.

It may seem strange but he'd admit
                                          Intentions aren't exactly true
                                          And though God loves his wife a bit
                                          He hates the farmer through and through.

All things bright and beautiful,
                                          All creatures great and small,
                                          All we've got is London ZOO
                                          'Cause farmer owns them all"

Bitter, if you like; acerbic, even - but 'goofy'?

Comment

Nickleback are Satan's semen, and the best Dire Straits thing is Private Investigations, though I hate this only slightly less than everything they have ever done, ever.

Comment

1. Romeo & Juliet
                                              2. Leaving Me Now
                                              3. Micro Kid
                                              4. Sultans Of Swing
                                              5. Twisting By The Pool

Comment

I don't think I've heard this song, so I don't know what the melody sounds like, but when I got to this verse:
                                                He's chopped down sheep, planted trees
                                                And helped the countryside to breathe
                                                Ripped up fields, bullied flocks
                                                And worked his workers right around the clock.
                                                It became the Lumberjack song.

Comment

I'm a fan of the Housemartins (although overall I prefer the Beautiful South) but I have to admit the lyrics to Me and the Farmer are a bit crap.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X