"we had to rename ourselves...The New Originals"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The comment on The Pipettes thread set me thinking about acts with none of the original members involved (not that I'd know any of the former or current members of that act, to be honest).

My first two thoughts of Deep Purple and Fleetwood Mac were scuppered by their drumers (predictably in the latter's case I suppose but I thought he had left them at some point) but I am sure there is someone obvious I am missing, the mention of whom will have me slapping my forehead.

I'm discounting Svengali-formed creations like Menudo or Boney M.

Mickey Finn out of T. Rex formed his own Mickey Finn's T. Rex some years after Marc Bolan's death (having traded as X-Ert for a while, see what he did there?). Then Mickey Finn died too, and the longhaired chancers he'd been in a band with carried on as T. Rex, and can still be found playing the Butlin's circuit.

Comment

Soft Machine ended up with none of their four original members, though one of the long-term replacements, Hugh Hopper, had at least been the roadie for the first version of the band. Did The Supremes continue without Mary Wilson? Also The Drifters might count as there were at least a couple of versions on tour simultaneously at one time.

Comment

I believe there's several versions of The Drifters doing the rounds, many of which contain no original members.

Comment

The Drifters or someone like them were in my mind though when you're effectively in cabaret/cruise ship mode like they are I suppose there might be multiple examples. That must simply be a case of passing off as opposed to still being the recognised band.

I forgot about the post-Ross Supremes though.

While I am on the subject who was it that replaced all the parts of their typewriter over time and then pondered the question of it it was still the same typewriter?

Comment

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band may have most of the originals, but they've got no Alex...

Didn't someone say that the latest version of Dr. Feelgood is void of Canvey Island's finest?

Comment

I also read an article on the re-release of The Zombies' Odessey and Oracle, an album originally relased after the band had split up. Cue several knock-off groups forming to tour under the band's name.

Comment

Actually, the final line-up of The Velvet Underground (which recorded the Squeeze album, often ignored by VU fans) contained no original members.

Comment

All of Fairport Convention's original members had left* by 1972, although Simon Nicol rejoined a few years later.

Similarly, in a career with many comings and goings, Steeley Span have existed in incarnations without any original members

(* Perhaps a bit of a euphemism. Martin Lamble, who had a bit of a claim to being the original drummer, left through being the victim of a fatal motorway accident. A drummer called Shaun Frater had played one gig before Lamble replaced him, though.)

Comment

Andy, you'll know this, how many original Beach Boys are there?

Comment

Just Mike Love, according to wiki.

Comment

Mike Love is such an arse: According to that wiki site, he sued Brian Wilson for releasing his Smile album, for "...damage to the band's reputation...".

Whereas his last Beach Boys release was a single called "Santa Goes to Kokomo"...

Comment

The Supremes released some amazing stuff after Diana Ross left ("Stoned Love", "Up The Ladder To The Roof", "Automatically Sunshine", "Floy Joy", "Nathan Jones", and a whole album with Jimmy Webb, the one with dandelions on the front). Mary Wilson, who has a hell of a voice, continued as lead singer until they officially disbanded in 1977.

A thing called FLOS (Former Ladies Of The Supremes) has toured since, but that doesn't really count.

Comment

Mitch wrote:
                            Mike Love is such an arse: According to that wiki site, he sued Brian Wilson for releasing his Smile album, for "...damage to the band's reputation...".

Whereas his last Beach Boys release was a single called "Santa Goes to Kokomo"...
                            Still, rather him that those funkers who made "Low Rider"...

Comment

Listen while I tell this tale of woe
                              The worm in the bacon of BB
                              His name was Love
                              But how were they to know
                              Mike's gift was only poison

So hoist the cats away
                              And the mouse he did play
                              The plots came thick and fast
                              Satanic meditations, shadow emissions
                              So hoist his music on the mast
                              So look at the worm in the bacon
                              Good vibrations, man

Like all Beach Boys fans, I fucking HATE Mike Love.

Comment

The Mike Love-only 'Beach Boys' played a gig at Liverpool Albert Dock about three years ago and Love took plenty of opportunities to slag Brian Wilson off apparently.

I think Al Jardine's son was in the band, too.

Comment

So, this thread title doesn't come up on the message board main page. It's just "Re: "

Something to do with the quote-marks, maybe? Who knows.

Comment

Works fine on my PC. I think your computer has been tampered with.

Comment

Napalm Death

Comment

Working...
                                      X