Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper Record Collectors' Shops

Can you recommend any?

Basically there's this one record I badly need on vinyl, and I need it by Friday. I've pretty much squeezed Brighton's shops dry, the Notting Hill M&VE didn't have it, and I've got a couple of possible leads on eBay but it's not looking very promising.

Do any of you chaps know of any particularly good record collectors' shops in London, or reliable and prompt UK-based dealers online?

It needs to be the sort of shop where they'll know quickly whether or not they have it in stock (I don't have the time to go 'grazing' through unsorted crates).

The record, by the way, is "Send Me A Postcard" by Shocking Blue. It can be LP or single, but it has to be vinyl (not CD). Categories: 60s/70s, psych-pop, freakbeat, Dutch, etc.

I'll try to have a look in the local shops for you tomorrow..we have a couple of second hand vinyl places nearby :-)

Comment

Good man!

Comment

http://www.netsoundsmusic.com/nsudsii/1/367061233/789/2/1/shocking%20blue/1/5.html

Based in Durham.

Comment

Heroic work, sir.

Comment

you sorted now? I'm going to OldHitz tomorrow if not

Comment

Hard To Find Records (htfr.com) is usually pretty good as well.

I just looked shocking blue up on their site and although I didn't find 'Postcard', I did find this - surely one of the strangest compilations I've ever seen!

Comment

I'm outta luck. The place linked to on this thread had already sold their copy last week, and I couldn't get anyone else to send it to me quickly enough. Ah well, that's one song I won't be playing on Friday.

Comment

I'm curious to understand the ways of the DJ. Why did you have to have this on vinyl? We're you going to scratch?

Surely with today's modern technology, you can do just about anything you want with a digital format - mix, mash, remix, etc.

Comment

does it have to be on vinyl SR? We've got it on CD.

oh, it's for Friday. Chris & Simon wouldn't approve. I see.

Comment

He's doing a vinyl only set, fauna.

I have found it in the US for about $90, but that pretty much busts all requirements I would guess.

Comment

What's the point of all vinyl? Is it the DJ equivalent of organic gardening?

Comment

It's more like the Dj's version of a good workout. Lifting wax is hard work.

Comment

hissing fauna wrote:
                            does it have to be on vinyl SR? We've got it on CD.

oh, it's for Friday. Chris & Simon wouldn't approve. I see.
                            Indeed.

I've had the song on mp3 for years, but that's not a lot of use, unfortunately. (If only mp3-to-vinyl burners were as easily available as the reverse...)

I really respect Da Doo Ron Ron's vinyl-only policy, and I only gave up using vinyl at Stay Beautiful with much reluctance (after moving to Brighton made it impractical to carry crates all that way), but it's just a bugger that it's preventing me from playing such a perfect song.

Comment

You could buy one of those Numark lathes for making your own dubplates, but I would consider that a touch excessive (and from what I have heard, they are a bit crap - as you might expect from a home lathe)

Comment

It turns out that one of the Da Doo Ron Ron chaps has got a copy he can lend me for the night. I was a bit embarrassed to ask, but hey, all's well that ends well.

Comment

I tried Altvinyl and Oldhitz in Newcastle today for you SR..no luck..Oldhitz had "Venus" and checked just in case,but the b-side wasn't your track

Comment

No worries, thanks for looking!

Comment

Maybe you should have a wax cylinder night.

Comment

I thought the lead article on this week's issue of Earplug might be of interest to SR (and others). It's 'Record Store Day' - a day that promotes visiting your local record stores as a social event ...which it is, really, isn't it ...at least for some of us.

If I hadn't been in a certain record shop on a certain day, I wouldn't have got chatting with a chap who asked my advice on a certain electronic album but who, in return, pointed out that the store had earlier that day got hold of a batch of The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu's '1987 - What The Fuck Is Going On?' that had been discovered languishing in a box in a corner of a warehouse for some years!

Now, although that experience does have its online equivalents, to actually lay one's hands on an artefact like that is an irreplaceable experience ...even if the album does end up not being much kop!

Maybe we should partake in some kind of 'Record Store Day' sometime next year? It'd be a nice and different kind of OTFathon, I feel.

Comment

I have to admit, I'm uneasy with human interaction of that sort (most sorts, indeed). I prefer to go into a record shop where everything is neatly labelled and organised, and only speak to the shopkeeper if I'm really struggling.

The other week I went into one of those collectors' places in Brighton and got engaged in conversation with the owner, and before you know it I'd spent £60 on stuff I didn't even want.

Comment

My local independent record store of choice closed down last week, and I wasn't even in the country to see it happen - I was in Amsterdam, discovering that Boudisque has also closed.

What a load of shit.

Comment

I could swear there was a more general thread in Music where we talked about buying music or shifting exclusively to streaming, but I could be mis-remembering or Google's advanced search could be letting me down. Anyway, I read this article today. The main thesis: "My argument is simply that what we have gained through convenience, we have lost in the experience."

I have historically tended to agree with that thesis and the argument that unfolds in the piece: we value things that we own over things we don't own. And streaming music reduces our engagement with music as an art form in many ways. Most notably, for me, listening to playlists or bouncing around from song to song means the sequencing of an album becomes less impactful when people don't listen to albums in order. With that said, the explosion of live music accounts for the shift in people's engagement with recorded music. Streaming music through a phone and earbuds lacks the physical connection of listening to a LP or CD, looking at the art work and reading the liner notes while listening. But that engagement is shifted to more people wanting to see artists in person and a willingness to pay higher prices to have that experience.

The timing on this article is good. I have thousands of CDs and am in the process of cataloguing them with Discogs and shifting to aesthetically more pleasing boxes. But during this process I am finding that I have a lot of shit that were free promos or people gave me that I might have listened to once or twice and will never listen to again. Owning these CDs doesn't create any more connection for me to the music.

Comment

Working...
                                              X