Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spotify

Ginger Yellow wrote:
    And presumably the more people listen, the more they get in advertising and/or subscription fees.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they've worked out how much they need to charge to cover their royalties (in the long run, anyway).
    Well, according to another article in The Register in June, their earnings per user per month are 14p. That's not covering their royalty obligations.

Crackers if you ask me.

Comment

Spotify

Well, that's advertising only. The Register article says they also have 17,000 premium subscriptions, so that's another £170k. And then there's the revenue sharing they have with whatever music download service it is they've hooked up with. I doubt they're making enough to cover their start-up costs yet, but that's hardly unusual.

Edit: actually ,the article is a bit ambiguous. It's not 100% clear whether they mean the service added 17,000 subscribers in May, or if that's the total.

Comment

Spotify

I think 17,000 is the total.

Comment

Spotify

My friend recently returned to Luxembourg from the UK and can no longer use Spotify. I sent them an invite from the UK and they can't use that either. Marke, would one of your invites work for them?

Comment

Spotify

I love Spotify.
            Currently soothing a hangover by listening to Eno's ambient albums. Probably wouldn't have given them a go without Spotify.

BTW i'm not an advert.

Comment

Spotify

The thing is, with those kind of figures, Spotify's turnover is in the same ballpark as the petrol station around the corner from my flat.

Except the petrol station has a coherent business model.

Comment

Spotify

I'm not seeing how this live-in-the-UK-don't-need-an-invite thing for Spotify is working at all. So... has anyone got a spare invite, please?

Comment

Spotify

They recently changed it back to invite-only for all. Trying to get more subscribers, basically.

I'll send you one when I get up in a bit Furtho (I'm on my ubuntu laptop in bed right now)

Comment

Spotify

Ah, cheers CTT.

Comment

The age of this thread - last post two years before I joined OTF - shows what a late adopter I am. I've been on Spotify for around three months after clinging stubbornly to my iPod Classic, buying CDs etc.

I have to say it's been an unqualified success for me. At my daughter's suggestion I spent a fair amount of time and effort building a library to educate the system on my likes, then began listening to things I'd always wanted to, or hadn't for a long time, making sure to Save and Not Like as much as possible. I've also searched for playlists with likely sounding names, "Jangle Pop", "Fuzzy Guitars", "Old Funk"...

I now look forward to the Discover Weekly playlist; some weeks it seems way wide of the mark, but others I feel I'm enjoying most of what it's throwing my way. Spotify has attempted one track with Autotune to date, and it gave me great pleasure to say I Don't Like This Song. What's been great is that I was struggling to hear new music. Australian music radio is horrendous generally, and it's hard to know where to go beyond artists I already liked. So I had a gradually ageing roster of music, which much as I liked it wasn't helping me break new ground.

So today I had a listen to all the new songs I've learned and liked since signing up, and thought I would celebrate with my first playlist. I will add to it in future: Songs Spotify Gave Me

Edit: not that this is all new by any means. Clearly.
                      Last edited by Sits; 25-11-2018, 05:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

I have to say it's been an unqualified success for me.

What's been great is that I was struggling to hear new music.
                        A success for me too. I used to be the sort of person who listened to music only through expensive headphones, or sitting in the middle of a room between two 'equidistant speakers', as Partridge would say.

But my life has changed, and most of my music is consumed on the go, either at home or out and about. Most car stereos have mp3 sockets now which is great for listening through your phone.

And yes, I listen to more new music now at 46 than I ever did at my CD purchasing peak 20 to 25 years ago.

Comment

Spotify only came to Romania a few months ago. In the meantime, tired of waiting I started using Deezer, which seems to do roughly the same thing. Now I've built up my music-self-profile on one I don't feel the inclination to start again and go over to Spotify. But I presume there are advantages that I'm not familiar with

Comment

Another recent sign up here. I only use it for podcasts I can't get anywhere else.

My reluctance to use streaming is that my internet is far too flaky to rely on it, I'd much rather download something.

Comment

Working...
                            X