Spotify

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spotify

I have a few Spotify invites left if anyone wants one ...

Spotify

isn't it now open access for all in the uk ?
    sure i read that somewhere this week ..

Comment

Spotify

of course, if there non uk residents wanting access, just let me know, i have some spare as well.

Comment

Spotify

I post this only because I just went to Wiki to learn what this Spotify thing is:

"As of February 10, 2009 Spotify is available to anyone in the UK without the need for an invitation."

[beaten to it, it seems]

Comment

Spotify

marke wrote:
          isn't it now open access for all in the uk ?
          sure i read that somewhere this week ..
          Aye, that's what I mean ... that's why I've got some left!

EDIT: so as marke says - any non-UK residents who want an invite, drop me a PM with your email address

Comment

Spotify

From what I could tell, it would be a pain in the ass for me to get onto it - it tracks IP addresses and won't let me in from the US.

If you think it could work, I would appreciate access.

Comment

Spotify

As someone who already gets all their music from Soulseek, do I need this thing?

I'd be interested, for example, if I could set up what would effectively be 'Stay Beautiful radio', but if that's not how it works, it's probably of no use to me.

Comment

Spotify

It's actually quite good SR. Initially I dismissed it as 'another bloody music thing' but it's a bit like the missing link between Last.Fm and things like HypeMachine or Blip.fm.

It's more focussed on music and its playability over community. You search for artist/track and can play the whole track with full controls...e.g. pause/rewind/timeline scrubbing etc. It's also very quick...I've never experienced any sort of buffering.

That said you've probably got a pretty comprehensive knowledge of music so I doubt it's going to help you discover new music.

If by Stay Beautiful radio you want to create playlists of specific songs e.g. replicate a SB setlist, then it's pretty good but it does have large gaps in the records that its licence allows you (as a UK user) to play. However Carcass has just managed it with his funeral themed playlist on The Quietus.

An option for creating an exact playlist is http://8tracks.com/ where you can upload your own tracks and then share this on the web. However that obviously takes a lot longer and you might only have the tracks on vinyl.

If you simply want to create a Stay Beautiful radio station playing music based on tags and genres like Glam or Electro then Last.Fm is probably your best bet but you'll not have any control over what tracks get picked.

While on this topic can anyone familiar with Spotify explain its quirky Radio. e.g how it allows me to select HipHop when my timeline is set pre 1950's. Even more extraordinary is that it still plays music based on this selection!

Comment

Spotify

Cheers amp, I'll chew that over. Sounds like 8track might be the way forward.

Comment

Spotify

OK I've just realised you're limited to the number of tracks per playlist...although there's no reason you couldn't create the full set over multiple playlists. Here's the lowdown on the full limitations

To publish your mix choose at least 8 tracks and no more than 2 tracks by the same artist.

Our license requires randomized playback the 2nd time a person listens to your mix.

Comment

Spotify

I've just tried to sign up and it still insisted on an invitation code...

Actually now that I click on their homepage it is unavailable-anyone know what's up?

Comment

Spotify

I mentioned this site on the Youtube thread. I don't know if it might help in IP-hiding in this context. (I haven't tried it.)

Comment

Spotify

And here's our 'influenced by Kraftwerk Spotify playlist.

Comment

Spotify

The guy from the Sweepingthenation blog has excellently added the 432 available tracks from Garry Mulholland's splendid "500 Greatest Singles Since Punk And Disco", as a playlist/ Link from here:

http://www.sharemyplaylists.com/this-is-uncool-
                            the-500-greatest-singles-since-punk-and-disco/

Comment

Spotify

Thanks Nico. I love Spotify to bits. Been hammering Beyonce's first 2 albums these past few weeks.

Rose Royce's Car Wash is the second track on that playlist but it sounds to me like a Top of the Pops LP version, that is not done by the original artists.

Comment

Spotify

Is it just me, or has Spotify seriously jumped the shark lately? The adverts (both visual and audio) have become more frequent and intrusive, meanwhile the range of music available shows no sign of improving. I still can't get "Swords Of A Thousand Men" by Tenpole Tudor, "Wot?" by Captain Sensible, or anything whatsoever by New Musik, Danielle Dax or Jimmy The Hoover. It's no wonder we turn to crime.

Comment

Spotify

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                                  Is it just me, or has Spotify seriously jumped the shark lately? The adverts (both visual and audio) have become more frequent and intrusive, meanwhile the range of music available shows no sign of improving. I still can't get "Swords Of A Thousand Men" by Tenpole Tudor, "Wot?" by Captain Sensible, or anything whatsoever by New Musik, Danielle Dax or Jimmy The Hoover. It's no wonder we turn to crime.
                                  "Tell them... I was a victim of Spotify! "

-

Comment

Spotify

Yeah, they haven't even got the proper version of The Modern Lovers' 'Roadrunner' on there, among other things I needed it for a Quietus playlist not so long ago.

Thing is, if Spotify was going to take off properly they'd have to have pretty much every song ever recorded and almost no adverts; I think it's going to fall over long before they get anywhere near that stage. I want everything for free and I want it now. And I want to get paid for writing about it. I can see where this whole internet thing's not working for me. . . .

Comment

Spotify

There's a Spotify iPhone app now, to be used with a premium subscription, only available in countries where Spotify is licensed.

Comment

Spotify

The thing is, they're not going to get the licences for more music without more ads or more subscription revenues. This may sound strange coming from me, but I'm actually quite pleased about the fact that there are more ads. I was quite worried when it was just a house-ad every half an hour, as I couldn't see how they would make money.

Comment

Spotify

Is it just me, or has Spotify seriously jumped the shark lately?
                                          Spotify is a weird one. (I'll add at this point that I haven't used it as it's not available where I live.)

Giving away streamed music for free is obviously not a viable business model, if the record companies want royalties. And putting in the odd advert doesn't raise much revenue. (I doubt putting in loads of adverts will either.) Yet it has major label backing.

I do see streamed music on a subscription basis as the only viable future for the record industry and I can only guess that Spotify is trying to amass a group of committed users before it goes subscription-only. But free, legal music on demand isn't going to be around for much longer.

There was an interesting article in The Register about this.

Comment

Spotify

Giving away streamed music for free is obviously not a viable business model, if the record companies want royalties. And putting in the odd advert doesn't raise much revenue. (I doubt putting in loads of adverts will either.)
                                            It seems to work fairly well for radio.

Comment

Spotify

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                                              Giving away streamed music for free is obviously not a viable business model, if the record companies want royalties. And putting in the odd advert doesn't raise much revenue. (I doubt putting in loads of adverts will either.)
                                              It seems to work fairly well for radio.
                                              Yes, but as I understand, if a radio broadcaster plays a record to 50,000 listeners, it pays a single fee.

Spotify is paying royalties per listen. The more people listen, the more it has to pay.

Comment

Spotify

And presumably the more people listen, the more they get in advertising and/or subscription fees.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they've worked out how much they need to charge to cover their royalties (in the long run, anyway).

Comment

Working...
                                                X