Hip Hop me up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hip Hop me up.

Iceberg Slim's Pimp was probably the greatest book ever written on American Corporation Management. You look at how the pimp game is run, then see how corporations are run, then you realize we're all hos.

The only problem is he puts quotes around just about every 5th word, and that gets fucking annoying and distracting real quick.

Neil K - great list. Where's that old Ted DiBiase when we need him, because you need to hook up with him.

TG - You need to start a hiphop tour company. There's still parts of the Calliope and Magnolia projects up in New Orleans (where No Limit and Cash Money Records came from,) along with Master P's and C-murder's alma mater high school. (It's now an 7th-8th grade alternative school that my crazy friend works at. Apparently last year the kids were screaming out the window at C-Murder. They were soon scrambling back to their seats when C-Murder and B-Stupid and the rest of his crew actually tried to come into the school.)

Comment

Hip Hop me up.

Heh heh 'Childmo' . . . I've never heard that before.(concrete allegations and general sleaze will be welcomed by pm - I'll add it to the dossier).
      Oh, and whilst we're here, forgot these one-off 12s/tracks/albums too good to forget .

MOP - How About Some Hardcore
      Craig Mack - Flava In Ya Ear
      Group Home - Livin Proof
      Lord Finesse - The Awakening
      Special Ed - Freaky Deaky
      ODB - Shimmy Shimmy Ya
      Luniz - 5 On It
      N.O.R.E - Oh No!
      Leaders Of New School - A Future Without A Past
      Onyx - Bacdafukup (AtakOvDaBalhedz!!!)
      Masta Ace - I Got Ta
      RZA as Bobby Digital - My Lovin' Is Digi
      Goodie Mob - Soul Food
      Dr. Octagon - Blue Flowers
      Kool Keith - Slide We Fly
      VA - Soundbombing 2
      Goats - Tricks Of The Shade
      Xzibit - Speed Of Life
      Juvenile - Ha
      J-Kwon - Tipsy
      Channel Live - Mad Izm
      Missy Elliot - Rain, Get Ur Freak On, Work It
      Boogiemonsters - Riders On The Storm
      The Juice Crew All-Stars - Symphony
      JVC Force - Strong Island
      Young Black Teenagers - Tap The Bottle
      oh fuck I've got to stop this is seriously doing my head in . . .

Comment

Hip Hop me up.

Hip hop being global and not purely anglophone, I'd like to add the following francophone exponents to an 'essentials' list:

IAM (especially "l'école du micro d'argent")
        solo albums by IAM members:
        Akhenaton
        Shurik'N
        Imhotep are also very good-the latter an instrumental album using 'found sounds' and music recorded in Morocco

MC Solaar has certainly had his moments, esp Prose Combat and Paradisiaque

Fabe -one track 'ça fait partie de mon passé' on the album 'Béfa surprend ses frères' is sublime

Assassin, bit harder edged, had some good stuff late 90s
        Supreme NTM matured into solid performers
        Saian Supa Crew - interesting vocal styles
        113 '2nd generation' hip hop a la française

and I'm sure there's been plenty more since I lost track about 5 years ago

Comment

Hip Hop me up.

Second most of the above, especially Quasimoto, but also the Handsome Boy Modelling School LPs, full of thoughtful hip-hop with a sense of humour plus much much more - like everything connected to Prince Paul (especially his Pschoanalysis - What is it? LP) and the Quannum Project LP from 2001 or so, hip-hop plus a celebration of all kinds of "Black" music.

Maybe even try New Kingdom's "Heavy Load", from the mid-late 90s, kind of psychedelic (but not in a bad way), stoner hippy Hendrix-hop (I'm stopping there, I'm making it sound dreadful & it's class).

I wrote this a little while before I posted it, I see someone's done a whopper of a list.

Comment

Hip Hop me up.

This has rocked my year:
            Product Description
            THE COMPLETE B-BOY RECORDS CATALOG 4 Discs 262 super high quality 320 kbps stereo MP3s Over 19 hours and 2.5 GB of music "B-Boy Records - The Masterworks" is a first of its kind. From start to finish, inception to curtain call, every release from B-Boy Records is included in one deluxe package. Spanning four MP3 data discs, "The Masterworks" includes 262 recordings, all meticulously restored from the original master reels and encoded as super high quality 320 kbps stereo MP3s. Over 19 hours and 2.52 GB of music, each track is IDd, sequenced and includes linked digital cover art and labels. This release is completely organized for your digital music library or vinyl emulation software. Packaged with a massive 40 page source book, which includes never before seen photos, scans of original master reels, 8x10s press shots, original cover and label artwork as well as credits for each release. Artists include: Boogie Down Productions, J.V.C. F.O.R.C.E., Cold Crush Brothers, Spyder D, Paul C, Sparky D, The Brothers, and countless others.

Comment

Hip Hop me up.

Oh, a really fantastic hiphop album from 2007 (not something you type all that often) is Turf Talk’s West Coast Vaccine (The Cure).

One time is walking around Greenford in pouring, freezing rain looking for a football match which had been called off, and its tales of rolling through sun bleached No Cal in a Hummer were just enough to stop my body temperature from plummeting.

Comment

Hip Hop me up.

Instead of one of those phony '100 books you must read before you die' lists, now I've got a '100 hip hop albums...'. I'm sorted if I ever have to do a 3-5 stretch for tax evasion or something.
                Kulkarni....I have no idea what to say or where to begin.
                Thanks again all.
                And Simon's title would have been better than mine.

Comment

Hip Hop me up.

Did any of you London-based types catch Nas, Pharcyde and EPMD last month? They cancelled their Birmingham gig and I was well pissed off.

And is there any way of getting those podcasts that jv metioned without having itunes?

Comment

Hip Hop me up.

This is very strange reading the reccomendations for WOM.
                    For a start he seems to be asking for recent stuff, wheras most of the reccommendations have been for old school stuff.

Plus he seemed not to be a fan of bling guns and ho's (which probably removes about 80% of hip-hop).

Yet people still recommend NWA, Jay Z etc.

Nas aint as good as he used to be.
                    He puts in two good tunes an albumn for the last decade, compare to Rick Ross and Lil Wayne who put a an albumn of 8 great songs plus numerous mixtapes.

JV, you know me, when i visit a city, i gotta check out the hood to see where these rappers be from.

You can show me around N.O when i get there.
                    For AtL, i was in Bankhead, College Park, Decatur sampling the same air Shortly Lo, Ludacris, TI, Young Jeezy etc.

For MIA it is all about Dade County and DJ Khaled.
                    We the best.

Comment

Hip Hop me up.

Great stuff on this thread.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm91erdsLKY

My boy Chino XL with the greatest couplet I have ever heard;

Fuck Your Lexus/ Iwascreatingmetaphorsthismorningwhileyouwereselect ingcreditcardstopayforthatbitch'sbreakfast.

High/low art summarised and examplified in one sentence, and he makes it scan.

Comment

Hip Hop me up.

Jon - http://www.maddecent.libsyn.com/

Again, I'd highly suggest (other than all of them
                        #39 South Rakkas Good Life mix
                        #36 Dutch Antillies
                        #31 Dirty South Joe "Told Not Sold" (history of Baltimore club music - the shit you heard on The Wire.)
                        #30 Emyd "Bounce It" (New Orleans Bounce music)
                        #21 Soy Cumbia (you'll have to search for it. Probably my favorite mix of them all.)
                        #16 Israel is also real good.

Comment

Hip Hop me up.

Thanks JV, very decent of you.

Comment

Interesting piece about DOOM on Stereogum. The article is set up as a consideration of Doomsday 20 years after its release, but really the piece is more about what led to that release. Good stuff.

Comment

In a strange coincidence with the reappearance of this thread, I went to see GZA last night. My brother had a spare ticket at the last minute. The crowd seemed to be enjoying it but the show didn't bust a gut to dispel traditional reservations about the execution of live hip hop shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                In a strange coincidence with the reappearance of this thread, I went to see GZA last night. My brother had a spare ticket at the last minute. The crowd seemed to be enjoying it but the show didn't bust a gut to dispel traditional reservations about the execution of live hip hop shows.
                                I have not seen a lot of live hip hop shows. Most have been in larger spaces (4,000 +/- old ballrooms or amphitheater spaces for smaller touring festivals back in the day). None were very impressive. The moves were repetitive and cliche (throw your hands in the air kind of stuff) and the sound couldn't come close to the records. But I did got to a hip hop showcase a few years back in a small club where beatmakers were playing new beats through their phones and guys were rapping over those beats. That was kind of cool. I think because these were small, local artists they couldn't make the same "throw your hands" demands of the audience. Also, the rappers would step up, do their thing over the beat, and step off. There was more of a dancehall reggae vibe from that perspective. With all that said, I didn't have any interest in making note of any specific rapper or beatmaker. I figured I would find them again if I found them again. One guy had his beats on floppy discs (the old ones that truly were floppy). That was kind of interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X