Broaden my horizons, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at the 'Random...' thread, I find that the range of stuff I listen to is very limited.

There is a thing they do in one of the Sunday broadsheets, you say your faves, and they give you things you might like to listen to which you never have. So I would like to bring on the fizz and the fury of the otf music contingent and help me do what the thread says, please.

Top 10 bands/things/singists etc are (in no particular order):

U2
    The Strokes
    Catatonia
    Beatles
    Rossini
    Ute Lemper/Amy WInehouse
    early 80's synth stuff
    torch songs
    the Platters
    Burt Bacharach stuff

I welcome all suggestions (and links).

Recently, I like Glasvegas, and there is a song constantly on Radio 2 (which may be part of the problem) about Stuttering which I quite like (although its starting to get on my n-n-n-nerves).

Fado intrigues me, but I wouldnt know where to start, and I keep hearing elsewhere from another thread about something called the Gotan Project or something.

The Gotan Project are all over the adverts, but I can't for the life of me remember which ones. Oh, the power of advertising.

Here is one of their best-known tracks...

...and another.

I prefer their first album, La Revancha del Tango to the second, Lunatico, for what it's worth.

As for Fado, well I suppose you might start with Amália Rodriguez, who's widely recognised as the greatest diva of the genre. The most prominent modern star is Mariza, I guess. And fado styles have started to be mixed a little with other elements of popular music, as by the very wonderful Madredeus. (Teresa Salgueiro - what a singer.)

Comment

Thanks AC. Amalia of course rings a bell. I was in a restaurant with a Portuguese guy somewhere in the south (Albufiera or something), and apparently they were singing and playing Fado there (it was full of nationals, so it was non-tourist variety) and I got the sentiment, but no idea obviously of what they were on about. It sounded great, but I was working my way through a bin sized quantity of fish soup, so I was otherwise engaged.

Comment

Visit my blog.

Nicole Atkins you'd surely like.

Comment

You might like The Divine Comedy:
          Our Mutual Friend

Comment

I love Neil Hannon, but like everything else, havent heard enough. Thanks for reminding me matej.

Pan Tau, link please.

Comment

Pan Taus's blog

Comment

You might like the Cold War Kids, gerontophile.

"Hang Me Up To Dry"
                "We Used To Vacation

Comment

geronto, two Nicole Atkins tracks for your perusal. The first especially is a dangerous earwormer.

Nicole Atkins - Brooklyn's On Fire

Nicole Atkins - Maybe Tonight

Comment

I swear by Dusty Springfield. I also like to evangelise for Randy Newman, The Beach Boys and Histoire de Melody Nelson by Serge Gainsbourg, so I recommend people listen to these things too.

I have the opposite problem, I fear... I listen to scraps of this and that with the ultimate result that my entire cultural experience is scattershot.

Oh... from the classical side, Debussy.

Comment

You may also like the band I've been trying to suggest to everyone to no success, Pale Young Gentlemen:

http://www.myspace.com/paleyounggents

They have 4 songs to listen to there, and I've got another one here.

Comment

Working...
                      X