A new intros quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new intros quiz

The intros quiz is making its debut on the new board. This time it's 20 intros, 5-7 seconds each, of hits from 1978 (or released in 1978 and perhaps peaking in the charts in early 1979).

Don't put up the answers here. If you like, feel free to PM me your answers for a score (if you do, leave a note on this thread, seeing as the PM system here does not have a flashing notification thingy).

I'll put up the correct answers on Thursday or Friday.

Intros Quiz - 1978 Edition.mp3

A new intros quiz

Nice quiz, PT

pm winging its way to you this very instant

Comment

A new intros quiz

PM sent. I'm pretty sure I got 16/20.

I failed to get 4, 10, 15 and 17. I'm a little unsure about 12, but I've gone with my strongest hunch there.

Comment

A new intros quiz

Late 70's? Probably still a bit early for me to get very many, but I'll have a go tonight. Probably.

Comment

A new intros quiz

PM sent, G-Man. I think I got most of them, but had to guess on a few.

Of all the intros quizzes so far this has been the furthest up my alley. As far as I can recall, I didn't do anything else in 1978 apart from listen to Radio 1, watch Top of the Pops and swap football cards.

Comment

A new intros quiz

Had a listen... got 4, maybe 5. So no point PMing, really. Cheers for doing the quiz, though. Looking forward to the 80's ones.

Comment

A new intros quiz

Same here. I got a firm 5 and an iffy sixth. No point clogging your box.

Comment

A new intros quiz

Got between 10 and 12. A lot of very frustrating ones which I'll kick myself when seeing the answers. Won't trouble your PM Box either but thanks for doing the quiz, PT.

Comment

A new intros quiz

Number 4 seems to be especially vexing, and it's a real, proper yourself-kicker.

The acoustic guitar intro one (13 or 15) is the most obscure, placed there to balance the British charts bias.

Comment

A new intros quiz

THE ANSWERS:

1. Cheryl Lynn - Got To Be Real
                    2. Clout - Substitute
                    3. The Undertones - Teenage Kicks
                    4. Village People - YMCA
                    5. Tom Robinson Band - 2-4-6-8 Motorway
                    6. Warren Zevon - Werewolves Of London
                    7. The Jacksons - Blame It On The Boogie
                    8. John Paul Young - Love Is In The Air
                    9. Plastic Bertrand - Ça Plane Pour Moi
                    10. Samantha Sang - Emotion
                    11. The Motors - Airport
                    12. The Wings - With A Little Luck
                    13. Dr Hook & the Medicine Show - When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman
                    14. Blondie - Denis
                    15. Kansas - Dust In The Wind
                    16. Rod Stewart - Do You Think I'm Sexy
                    17. Lene Lovich - Lucky Number
                    18. Donna Summer - MacArthur Park
                    19. Toto - Hold The Line
                    20. The Buzzcocks - Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've)

Comment

A new intros quiz

Got 10.5 ... (half for McCarthur Park - I thought Richard Harris might have re-released it about that time). There were one or two others that I was convinced I'd got (e.g. 3. New Rose - The Damned).

Good fun, though. Thanks, PT!

Comment

A new intros quiz

Number 4 was a problem (for me, anyway) because I think it must be a different version of YMCA. The single version starts with the brass straight away, no?

But a great quiz, thanks PT - Cheryl Lynn was the real annoying one for me - could have sworn it was Best of My Love by the Emotions until I checked and that was 1977.

Comment

A new intros quiz

missed this....like to think would have got 14 but dont even now recall the Cheryl Lynn Samantha Sang or Kansas titles...

Comment

A new intros quiz

The funny thing is, "YMCA" flitted through my mind when I heard no.4, but you've used some sort of album version or twelve-inch version there, right? That's not fair. The hit single just starts with one drumbeat then baaa-baaa-baaa....

I don't feel too bad about not getting Samantha Sang or Kansas, because I wouldn't know what the hell those songs were if I heard them all the way through. Turns out I got no.12 wrong too, but the same applies there. I don't know that Wings song.

I should have got Lene Lovich, though.

Comment

A new intros quiz

Hmmm, strange thing with the Village People song. It's not an extended version or remix. Having said that, I still think it is recognisably YMCA (but perhaps only if you know it's YMCA?).

Samantha Sang's song was #11 in the UK charts in 1978, so it's not an obscurity. A very fine song it is, too. Written by Barry Gibb, who does backing vocals. Destiny's Child covered it on, I think, their last album. A redundant cover.

The Wings track was a top 5 hit, the follow-up single to "Mull Of Kinyre".

As I said, Kansas was there to balance the British bias, seeing as the quizzes go up also on my blog. It was a top 10 hit there.

Comment

A new intros quiz

Having said that, I still think it is recognisably YMCA (but perhaps only if you know it's YMCA?).
                                Oh yes, it's very recognisable as YMCA - it must be one of the most recognisable intros in the world - but I just thought you were trying to fool us.

Still kicking myself about that Cheryl Lynn tune though, not least because it was on Vol. 1 of your funk compilation which I listened to a lot in the gym only a couple of months ago or so. have now just started listening to vol. 2 - it's great!

Comment

Working...
                                X