Help my dad do his radio show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I stand by 'Criticize' for Alex O'Neal. For Tony, Tone, Toni (right order?) I'd go for 'Oakland Stroke'

You might suggest some Millie Jackson, thinking 'Lovin' Arms' or her excellent cover of 'Here You Come Again'.

Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes 'Satisfaction Guaranteed'

Correct about Will Downing *Stanley Turrentine plays sax on thaT track).

Also Richard 'Dimples' Smith - 'If It Ain't One Thing It's Another' - a sentiment that everyone will get.

Comment

Well, like I say, my dad doesn't need any 70s recommendations. He's pretty encyclopaedic about that stuff and was playing me Millie Jackson records when I was arguably too young to be exposed to such filth...

I should have said "Daisy Age onwards" or something.

Comment

I will also stand by "Going In Circles." It's the one Vandross song that's not overproduced, and the one that is his masterpiece. Absolutely soulful, and I defy anyone to say when he comes out of the chorus of "over youuu-oooooo-oooooooooo-oooooooo and right into "I'ma faceless clock...." is robotic 80s schmaltz.

Comment

Oh man, this thread is so up my street, I’m really annoyed I don’t have time to contribute to it in any meaningful way. Anyway, loads of good suggestions already. Alicia Keys song - maybe 'How come U don't call me?' - a cover of a Prince B-side so that'd be up your street too, SR. What about a bit of Jodeci? And has nobody seriously mentioned Mary J Blige? (Apologies if they have).

I saw Alexander O’Neal the other week. He’s still got it, you know.

Comment

Blackalicious 'A to Z'
            Jurassic 5 'Concrete Schoolyard'
            Quanuum 'I Changed My Mind'
            Del Tha Funkee Homosapien 'Why Do You Have To Get So Funky With Me?'
            Latyryx 'The Lady Don't Tek No'
            Blackalicious 'You Didn't Know That Though'
            Das FX 'They Want FX'
            Junior Reid 'One Blood'
            Barrington Levy 'Here I Come (Broader Than Broadway)'
            Buju Banton 'When They Lay Me Down'
            Ninjaman and Flourgon 'Zig It Up'

Comment

I will also stand by "Going In Circles." It's the one Vandross song that's not overproduced, and the one that is his masterpiece. Absolutely soulful, and I defy anyone to say when he comes out of the chorus of "over youuu-oooooo-oooooooooo-oooooooo and right into "I'ma faceless clock...." is robotic 80s schmaltz.
              Early '90s, I think (pedantic? Moi?). That was on his covers album, on which he did a pretty good version of Streisand's "Evergreen". I think Luther's "Going In Circles" stands up well to the original by the Friends Of Distinction (I have a link to the original if anyone wants it). Though I reckon Dad Rhino is more likely to play the original than anything by Luther.

If he wants Luther, I think he might be well served by the stupendous cover of "Superstar".

Rhino, one artists you absolutely have to recommend to your father is James Hunter. I think Hunter fulfills the criteria you set quite perfectly. Has a voice a lot like Sam Cooke's, does a great line in early '60s sounding soul and ska while still sounding contemporary. And his records have such wonderful warmth. People Gonna Talk is the album you'll want. It came out in, I think, 2006.

Comment

I thought part of the criteria was that actual black people had to like the music. Not just white people who have pretensions to liking black music.

;-)

Comment

Depends on the generation of such black people, doesn't it?

Are there many potential black listeners in Cardiff?

Comment

Yes. The oldest black community in Britain, according to some people.

It's where Shirley Bassey and Colin Jackson come from innit.

Comment

The historic black population in Cardiff is largely Somali, not sure how many of them listen to 60s, or 60s influenced Soul. Not the ones on my bus anyway.

There is a Carribean community too, which I guess is probably a more fertile listening base.

Butetown, where the station is based is predominantly black, in a largely white city.
                      Cardiff has a particularly good reputation of racial harmony, if more toleration than integration, but Butetown is probably the poorest area in the city (and doesn't yet seem to have benefitted from Bay development gentrification, unlike Grangetown and Splott). Still rather live there than Ely or Llanrumney though.

Comment

Has anyone mentioned Omar, 'There's Nothing Like This'?

"Ba-do-ba-weee-oooooh! Sip a glass of cold champagne wiiiine..."

Mmm. Big bath stuff.

Comment

Working...
                        X