Music in TV-series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music in TV-series

Is it my imagination, or has this Netflix era not only brought us a new high level of TV productions where a Hollywood star can as easily be seen in a series, as in a movie, where a TV production can be financed in the vicinity of movie, but also the music in the series is of a very different better quality?

I don’t know how many times I’ve stopped in the midst of an episode to find the tune playing in the background and save it in my playlist. I think over the past years, TV-series is where I’ve found 90% of music new to me, not seldom has it been when the credits start rolling at the end.

Say what you will about Quenting Tarantino but he really upped this game giving us some brilliant music to go along with the films, and I sense there’s a Quentin inspiration going on where a lot of series they go out of their way to find the exact right song, which hasn’t been played to death on the radio.

Who wants to hear Elvis sing A little less conversation during yet another heist? The now cliché song played in almost every heist movie during the segment when they run in and perfectly score with their perfect plan during the first third of the movie?

In a lot of TV-series, they seem to go out of their way to find really good music. Not just something fluffing about in the background. I don’t know how many episodes I’ve seen where the tune in the background was almost as much a character and as important in the scene, as the actor or actress is.

This is only one example of song I would have never come across if it wasn’t for it being played in a TV-series.

Same with this which was played during the rolling end of an episode of Fargo season three, I think.

It's true that Tarantino took a fresh approach to scoring his movies by including lesser known songs. He did introduce music to people who might otherwise never heard it. My quibble is that there was an idea that Tarantino truffled out totally obscure tracks that only a music savant could know. Truth is, almost none of the tracks on Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown, well chosen though they were, were particularly rare grooves.

I don't know if Netflix has started anything new. There have been various series where songs, rather than musical scores, have been used consistently to great effect. In The Wonder Years they often were devices to drive the narrative. In The Sopranos, which had no musical score whatsoever, the music was almost like another character (as it was, perhaps not coincidentally, also in GoodFellas). The same can be said for Mad Men. And many other shows (even going back to the 1990s, such as Ally McBeal or Dawson's Creek, and in 2000, Freaks And Geeks).

Lately, I've absolutely loved the music in The Deuce, which has been curated with astonishing attention to detail.

No surprise, there are mixes of songs from four of the above-mentioned shows...

Comment

Working...
    X