Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What music do/did your parents listen to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dad was (and is) a bit of a prog and folk rock fan. So most long car journeys were soundtracked to Jethro Tull, Fairport Convention and Gentle Giant. Unless it was a weekend, then the car radio was tuned to whatever station had the football/rugby/cricket on.

My mum was banned from controlling the car stereo in about 1987. We were driving to Spain for a holiday and when stuck in traffic near Birmingham she put her Carpenters Greatest Hits tape on. Whether it was the heat, the poor Ford Sierra workmanship or a problem with the tape we don’t know but that tape was then irredeemably stuck in the player. It was the only thing we could listen to for a fortnight.

Comment

The Grateful fucking Dead. All the time.

Comment

Have really enjoyed re-reading this thread. Ian's post at the bottom of P3 makes me wonder if we should have an 'influenced by your siblings' thread too.

My sister (four years older) and I were avid Top 20 fans on a Sunday evening, placing our mum's radio next to our dad's portable tape player for an hour during a vow of mutual silence, then taping over the one C-60 cassette we owned the following week - no doubt a far from unusual scene in households across the nation. But a couple of years later, while I was still on Wings and ELO, she was spitting to the Buzzcocks and The Stranglers, and although I tried to take the piss out of The Stranglers in particular for posing as hard men, I borrowed and taped all her punk records. Then she got more into spending her cash on fags and booze rather than records, which was a big shame.

Later, she sold me Rattus Norvegicus and Live (X Cert) for four quid in total. Later still, she took them back, claiming I'd nicked them off her without asking. Much, much later, she threw all her records into the bin to make more space in a cupboard. Recently, she told me she wished she hadn't done that. "Yeah," I said, "especially not those two Stranglers LPs which were rightfully mine." Still waiting for my four quid back.

Comment

Working...
        X