No announcement yet.

HMV RIP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I understand the need to declutter and not drown in shit that you don't want or need, but some stuff does bring pleasure to have and use, and living with a constant eye on being the least inconvenient possible when you die doesn't sound super pleasant to me. CDs and DVDs and records and books are not clutter if they're reasonably organised, and you can buy houses around here for £1 so space isn't exactly at a premium.

Also in the brief days when I had a Spotify account (years ago to be fair), there was an absolute ton of stuff that I looked for and that wasn't available, or not in the version I wanted, but I guess their catalogue might have expanded since then. In any case, I'm not going to rejoin to find out as I found that I just didn't enjoy streaming music (I just ended up playing music all the time and stopped paying attention to it.)
    Last edited by Fussbudget; 31-12-2018, 11:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
      ...I found that I just didn't enjoy streaming music (I just ended up playing music all the time and stopped paying attention to it.)
      It's undoubtedly conditioning and habit rather than higher moral purpose, but I'm quite happy with playing CDs (or, less frequently, records) when actively listening to music and having the radio on for background entertainment at other times. Not wanting to reduce a limited concentration span even further is a factor too; I skip and change too much even with physical media.

Comment

I'm using Spotify to listen to things I've always meant to and not got round to, artists I want to investigate further, and just get music played at me which I have chance of liking.

Comment

Morning all. What does the panel think on the legality/ morality of downloading music, film and TV from YouTube, then saving it in a 5mm card?

Comment

Sits, there may well be a connection between maintaining retro listening habits and a reduced urge to keep abreast of everything that is currently going on in my case.

Comment

Yes, that's what I've been doing for years. Spotify is dragging me to wider, newer horizons.

Comment

I tried that once, in my thirties.

<shudders>

Comment

I don’t listen to CDs anymore, but would be lost without DVDs. About 80% of the ones I own aren’t available for streaming. And I find I have to keep buying loads. I have to watch a load of Rumpole episodes for work - DVD’s the only format for that, unless I want to rip off the makers by watching it illegally, which I don’t.

And streaming is not great for films. There’s hardly any choice at all, unless you want to watch millions of low budget horror titles. Just tried the Sight and Sound Top 10 - none of them is available for free streaming through my subs (Netflix and Amazon Prime). I could pay around seven quid to “buy” each title, but why would I do that when I already own versions with superior sound and picture quality?

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                    Morning all. What does the panel think on the legality/ morality of downloading music, film and TV from YouTube, then saving it in a 5mm card?
                    I kind of think that if you think the content has no value, why waste your time engaging with it? Other than that, workers should get their fruits of their labours etc.

(But I’m not militant about it.)
                    Last edited by Lucy Waterman; 31-12-2018, 11:14.

Comment

Lucy- I do think it has a value, however small and/ or fleeting. For which I'd readily offer (micro)payment. Rumpole to me is just nostalgic entertainment. If YT disappears or charges for all content then I will probably (price) ration my viewing

Comment

https://twitter.com/robertrotifer/status/1079359429294854145

Comment

I'd rather my space was empty than full, tbh. It's kind of as if different people have different things that make them happy. Who knew?

Comment

Funny how often these threads up there, innit?

Comment

There are two elephants in the room with Spotify - firstly, it’s one of many lost making businesses that the music industry has come to rely on. If the owners pull the plug, we’re all stuffed.

But the main problem with Spotify is that you’re not really supporting the artists. They get absoltely peanuts. If you want the artists to make a living wage, buy an album, or go to Bandcamp.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                I'd rather my space was empty than full, tbh. It's kind of as if different people have different things that make them happy. Who knew?
                                There's a version of glass half empty half full in there somewhere to ponder.

I have lost a lot of items three times. Once in a separation 30 years ago, once in a separation over 10 years ago, almost identical both times. They moved in with me, most of it was already there, once we separated I come home one day from work and a lot of it is gone with them. Didn’t bother me much that utensils or gadgets were gone. More so that the present my aunt had given me for my confirmation or the kitchen table my mother had given me as a moving in present when I was a single 20 year old, that stuff like that was gone.

The second time I said to myself “fuck it”, and started to get rid of things. Gave away/sold my pretty large DVD and CD collection, crystal glasses and carafes tucked away like museum artifacts never used because they were “too expensive” to drink £7 wine from. A lot of things left the home over a few months either as gifts or sold on the Internet as some sort of protest and emotional reaction combined.

Third time was a burglary where I was stripped of a great deal of whatever was remaining. Among it my set of kitchen knives, which I probably valued most because they were expensive and there are few things more useful and brilliant and actually worth spending money on than really good kitchen knives.

After the third time, being halfway already there, I stopped giving a shit about all the shit one gathers. A calm entered as far as stuff and gadgets and things goes, a very liberating sensation. I was very much the collector type previously. If I had three of the Peter Gabriel CDs, I had to get the rest of them to complete the collection. If I had the OXO potato peeler and can opener, I had to get the OXO ice cream scooper and pizza slicer.

Today, I don’t own a tenth of the stuff I used to but my space feels much fuller simply for the fact that I don’t care anymore if it’s all gone tomorrow. I’ve detached myself from all of it. It’s only stuff. The only thing I really don’t want to lose is my wallet, my passport and the work I have on my computer. I have the work backed up on an external hard drive so don’t even give a shit anymore when yet another computer will crash and die on me.
                                Last edited by Pietro Paolo Virdis; 31-12-2018, 16:52.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post

But the main problem with Spotify is that you’re not really supporting the artists. They get absoltely peanuts. If you want the artists to make a living wage, buy an album, or go to Bandcamp.
                                  +100%

Comment

They don’t have to put their music on there. If they want more money, they should band together and demand more. Spotify would still be a bargain at three times the price.

Bands don’t usually make much from album sales either. They make it from live shows, which is why tickets are often prohibitively expensive.

Either way, that’s no reason to bring another unnecessary bit of plastic into the world.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                      But the main problem with Spotify is that you’re not really supporting the artists.
                                      I find this an interesting question not simple to answer. I agree that the creator of excellence should get his/her fair share, but….

…J S Bach and Vivaldi are dead. I love listening to a classical orchestra but in a sense they’re only cover bands. Are they entitled to royalties for music Bach composed, exactly as much as Blur is for their own music?

…Jimi Hendrix, George Michael, Prince and thousands more on Spotify are dead. Who’s getting their royalties and is it the artist getting it if it’s someone else taking it on the artist’s behalf simply because they happen to be family, or own the rights?

…Elton John, Metallica, Paul McCartney etc have net worth’s exceeding triple figure millions. Is there a limit where we think “enough is enough, it’s getting ridiculous now”, like we do with football players being signed for 100 million?

…I've found loads and loads of artists which I would never have heard of if it wasn’t for Spotify. Much thanks to the excellent “fans also like” feature which lists a dozen other artists for you similar to the one you’re listening to, and then you can make jump after jump from artist to artist, this has taken me to some really great surprises and great finds. Like JD McPherson or Zaz. And no, it doesn’t feel right that I have their songs on Spotify but didn’t buy their CD when I know they're clocking in 9 to 5 with their touring of minor venues and selling limited number of CDs. Yet, in the same folder I have 30 of Paul Simon’s best songs and I couldn’t care less if he doesn’t get another dime from me to add to his $50 something million. It’s a slight dilemma.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                        Bands don’t usually make much from album sales either. They make it from live shows
                                        Yes. And isn't this only a step back to how it used to be?
                                        I've always wondered how much in a given year the artists made from each component back in the 50's and early 60's. How much did for instance Paul McCartney pocket from the album Twist and Shout in 64-65, and how much did he pocket from touring? Did most of it come from either, was it 50/50? Same with Elvis 56-57?

The classical composers, from the limited I know, were either sponsored by some posh bastard, gave lessons, toured the royal courts etc. There was no system with royalties (even though this period might be where the word comes from) like there is today and was that the reason Mozart died young, or would he have died Jimi Hendrix-like even sooner if there was a system where the money was pouring in like it is for U2 and Beyonce?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post
                                          I don’t listen to CDs anymore, but would be lost without DVDs. About 80% of the ones I own aren’t available for streaming. And I find I have to keep buying loads. I have to watch a load of Rumpole episodes for work - DVD’s the only format for that, unless I want to rip off the makers by watching it illegally, which I don’t.

And streaming is not great for films. There’s hardly any choice at all, unless you want to watch millions of low budget horror titles. Just tried the Sight and Sound Top 10 - none of them is available for free streaming through my subs (Netflix and Amazon Prime). I could pay around seven quid to “buy” each title, but why would I do that when I already own versions with superior sound and picture quality?
                                          Does Amazon not do streaming "rentals" in the UK? Usually about a third or less of the cost of "owning" it. Though sometimes you have to buy it to get the special features, if there are any. I've never noticed a problem with quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
                                            There's a version of glass half empty half full in there somewhere to ponder.

I have lost a lot of items three times. Once in a separation 30 years ago, once in a separation over 10 years ago, almost identical both times. They moved in with me, most of it was already there, once we separated I come home one day from work and a lot of it is gone with them. Didn’t bother me much that utensils or gadgets were gone. More so that the present my aunt had given me for my confirmation or the kitchen table my mother had given me as a moving in present when I was a single 20 year old, that stuff like that was gone.

The second time I said to myself “fuck it”, and started to get rid of things. Gave away/sold my pretty large DVD and CD collection, crystal glasses and carafes tucked away like museum artifacts never used because they were “too expensive” to drink £7 wine from. A lot of things left the home over a few months either as gifts or sold on the Internet as some sort of protest and reaction combined.

Third time was a burglary where I was stripped of a great deal of whatever was remaining. Among it my set of kitchen knives, which I probably valued most because they were expensive and there are few things more useful and brilliant and actually worth spending money on than really good kitchen knives.

After the third time, being halfway already there, I stopped giving a shit about all the shit one gathers. A calm entered as far as stuff and gadgets and things goes, a very liberating sensation. I was very much the collector type previously. If I had three of the Peter Gabriel CDs, I had to get the rest of them to complete the collection. If I had the OXO potato peeler and can opener, I had to get the OXO ice cream scooper and pizza slicer.

Today, I don’t own a tenth of the stuff I used to but my space feels much fuller simply for the fact that I don’t care anymore if it’s all gone tomorrow. I’ve detached myself from all of it. It’s only stuff. The only thing I really don’t want to lose is my wallet, my passport and the work I have on my computer. I have the work backed up on an external hard drive so don’t even give a shit anymore when yet another computer will crash and die on me.
                                            This is a remarkable story. Thanks for sharing it.

Comment

Cheers.

Wish to point out that I don't hold any grudge towards any of the ex's. Both times was I having mine settled and they basically nothing to move in with beyond clothes and it was very clear from the beginning that once we lived together, everything was "ours" and not "mine/yours". Was only for a while after both times I was a bit disappointed how the move and gathering of stuff was sneakily prepared/performed.

Main point though, it turned out great and was valuable for me. In how I learned to not give a shit about stuff, any stuff. It's a great feeling.
                                              Now, other people's stuff, that's an entirely different matter.

Comment

Comment

He nails it. Probably my all time favorite comedian.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                                    Does Amazon not do streaming "rentals" in the UK? Usually about a third or less of the cost of "owning" it. Though sometimes you have to buy it to get the special features, if there are any. I've never noticed a problem with quality.
                                                    I've used the YouTube movies service a few times, which is the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X