Over-emoting in music.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over-emoting in music.

When did this trend start - usually in covers - where singers can't sing the song without stretching the note up and down the octaves in order to show their extra mournfulness, sincerity or some such through their vocal dexterity. Whitney's "I will always love you" seems to be a marker especially as far as cover versions are concerned. Mariah Carey's another one. I listened to some "Private Dancer" era Tina Turner thinking that may be the origin but, to be fair, those are delivered reasonably straight.

Jennifer Rush?

Kids from Fame?

Comment

We had my daughter's Christmas playlist on earlier in the week featuring an absolutely horrific version of Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas. This reminded me that the formerly mulleted one is a master at this art.

And to be fair to Mariah she's nowhere near as bad as Celine Dion or Leoma Lewis.

But (and I fear many will disagree) I find some of Otis Redding's work miles over the top, emoting-wise.

Comment

The multi-noted syllable singing is called melisma, and has its roots in Gospel music. That's where singers like Otis Redding and Aretha Franklin got it from.

Patti LaBelle in the 1980s overcooked the old melisma to such an extent that people thought this was soulful singing. Aretha also did that. So the singers who came in their wake -- your Mariahs and Whitneys and Boyz II Mens, and the Beyonces and Alicias -- picked up on that. A well-placed dramatic melisama can earn you a Grammy, or at least a standing ovation, so it has been encouraged by people who mistake it for great singing. Which it can be, but you don't have to prove that you're a good driver by always going 160 miles an hour.

Comment

Johnnie Ray was overemoting back in 1951 (hence "Nabob of Sob") but you could also go back to Al Jolson, which has Jewish elements as well as being a parody of black music.

Puccini opera has been accused of overemoting.

Comment

Actually, I think that the main target of my ire is what G-Man describes as melisma which can be matched up with over-emoting. The sort of vocal gymnastics that is supposed to stand as brilliant singing but is actually the vocal version of a perfunctory drum solo.

Comment

"Mariah Carey went for advice from a singing coach. I've got a piece of advice for her that she can have for free. Pick a note, fucking stick to it."

Comment

Working...
              X