Bros.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bros.

Watched the BBC4 documentary about them. Hasn't changed my opinion that they're a pair of monumental wankers. Just saying like.

Haven't seen it, and don't really want to. I assume 'Ken' isn't in it?

(I quite liked them!)

Comment

Their manager is a right fucking piece of work isn't he?

Comment

All I know is that even as a mere 5-year-old, I found the Brosettes scary and cultish. My sister was one. I can still hear the cassette being played constantly in my grandad's Montego to this day.

That and they burned through their cash so quickly, they made 5 Star look fiscally prudent.

Comment

They were among the instigators of 'histrionic vocal gymnastics as replacement for singing' - and for that alone should be killed alive.

They were also the epitome of late-eighties 'don't you know who I am?'-self-entitlement. I mean, note how many of their song titles featured the word 'I'. There's your problem, right there.
          Last edited by Jah Womble; 26-12-2018, 09:01.

Comment

Saw them at Hammersmith Odeon and they were definitely entertaining but the Brosettes were quite frightening - quite a feat considering I was a fair foot taller and a fair few years older than them. Oddly, my guitarist - who is wedded to punk rock (and Alice Cooper) - has said how much he enjoyed the documentary and warmed to them, while still hating the music.

Comment

I liked the doc and am now a bit smitten with the lovely Luke. Matt seems to have a bad case of lead singeritis. They’ve both got more handsome with age, and in cheekbone terms are in the same league as you-know-who.

I was looking out for their manager, as I was introduced to one of their former ? managers at the Sunset Marquise about 3 years ago, and he did indeed seem a bit of a tosser, but I didn’t pay much attention and didn’t recognise anyone in the doc.

It was all quite emotional and I felt for them both, but mainly for Luke, as Matt just doesn’t bloody listen. He has a voice on him, though, and it was lovely to see the sheer joyousness of their gig and appreciate the craft of their songs.

Comment

One thing I remember from reading Smash Hits back in the day was one of the Gosses talking about their 'love rock' - they'd melted down all the gold jewellery fans had sent them and just had a 'rock' (lump) of gold.

Do they mention the love rock in the doc?

Comment

I don’t know, didn’t hear it. They were very broke at one point so maybe had to sell it.

There were quite a few of their former fans interviewed.

Comment

I loved their stuff, back in the day. Really good fun.

Comment

I just remembered that Matt went out with someone I knew, back in the day. He saw her standing at a bus stop and screeched to a halt (he was driving a car).

Comment

On iPlayer here.

Comment

I have a VPN, and the Beeb STILL doesn't work.

Comment

Half way through at the moment. Matt's a bit of a cock, really.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                              I have a VPN, and the Beeb STILL doesn't work.
                              Have you got a BBC account, Gero? Can't use iPlayer without one these days.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                I just remembered that Matt went out with someone I knew, back in the day. He saw her standing at a bus stop and screeched to a halt (he was driving a car).
                                Shame that. Would have been great to screech to a halt without a car.

Couldn't stand them. Not that I heard much but I did hear that their fans were actively dangerous.

Comment

There's not really all that much about the fans - it's mostly about Matt & Luke now.

Comment

I think Matt was attempting deadpan humour in places, but it didn't really work. I don't know, as I don't know him. Some of the things he came out with were so Spinal Tap, it's hard to believe he was playing it straight. Luke seems to have more of an ironic twinkle.

Comment

The overall feeling I get from the chart music crew over on FB is that this documentary was brilliantly Spinal Tap-ish

Comment

If anyone who doesn't have access to iPlayer wants a copy, drop me a PM.

Comment

Is it as good as the ramones movie from about a decade ago? I went to see it not knowing anything about the ramones, and it was way funnier than spinal tap.

Comment

What was that called, TAB? There appear to be a few online.

Comment

I watched the doc this afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed it. There's a good sprinkling of funny moments - men who have spent the last quarter century working in showbusiness in LA and Las Vegas somewhat flakey shocker - but it is also quite emotional in parts. They aren't entirely without emotional intelligence but can't stop their issues from flaring up, which applies to a lot of siblings. You'd have to come to it with strong pre-existing loathing not to warm to them even a little by the end. Matt does come across as harder work than Luke, as mentioned above.

Comment

I'd say it's this one.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                                  I can't drive, but if I could, I'd like to do that.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X