• Show
Clear All

The Beach Boys
    Nina Simone
    Louis Armstrong

And again, ask me tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
      One interim conclusion is that it’s music by white men.
      Specifically British middle-aged white men.

No love for Hendrix, Chuck Berry, Elvis, Aretha...

Comment

The Fall

The Smiths

(Fuck, it's easy for the first two, like most I suspect really difficult to find a third from so many...)

Today, it's The Cramps

Comment

Updated again...keep em coming...

Comment

Tom Waits
            Bruce Springsteen
            The Jam

All time list, so many others to sadly leave out...

Comment

Tangerine Dream
              Joy Division
              Metallica

Comment

Excellent work Sporting, and us. As someone (DG?) said, lots to investigate.

Two picks for Sparklehorse is an interesting one; I'd never even heard of them until I joined Spotify a few months back and they started coming up on my "Discover Weekly" playlists. A 100% hit rate for the two songs I've been provided so far.

Comment

Hanoi Rocks
                  Turbonegro
                  Hevisaurus

Judging by my most played

Comment

Three more completely new to me. I couldn't even begin to guess the genre of music, but I will toddle off to investigate (well, when I say toddle off I mean go a googling).

Comment

Near my old gaff in Kent was some graffiti on a railway bridge that read HANOI ROCKS IS THE BEST.

Comment

In the early days of music video, City TV's New Music always managed to feature Hanoi Rocks, Tenpole Tudor (yay!) and an outfit called Huang Chung who went on to more mainstream success with their slightly altered moniker. Lene Lovich, Nina Hagen and Eva Everything also made frequent appearances.

Comment

Millie Jackson
                          Jimmie Dale Gilmore
                          Mamas and Papas

Probably different tomorrow.

Comment

Added.

Comment

U2, Matt Monro, Pet Shop Boys.*

*Not enough. It will change in the next 5 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
                                Mamas and Papas.
                                Ever seen the movie "Beautiful thing"?

Comment

Rolling Stones
                                  Replacements
                                  Echo and the Bunnymen

But that was not easy. A top 10-15 would probably leave me more confident in the choices. The Stones would be top for sure but I could easily see the other two being replaced by The Clash, JAMC, Springsteen, or New Order. But I'll stay with those 3.
                                  Last edited by danielmak; 22-12-2018, 20:20.

Comment

David Sylvian
                                    Kraftwerk
                                    The The

First two are unshakeable and would be on any list at any time, but there's about 5 or so who I could say were my third choice depending on the mood of the day...

Comment

Where would Japan rank Andrew?

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                        I'm going to guess they'd have him at 7,610th.

Comment

Boom boom tish!

Comment

Bowie
                                            Joy Division
                                            Associates

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                              Three more completely new to me. I couldn't even begin to guess the genre of music, but I will toddle off to investigate (well, when I say toddle off I mean go a googling).
                                              Hevisaurus are an all dinosaur power metal band for the under 10s from Finland. My eldest controls the music in the car hence them appearing as my most played artist. Their concerts have a pretty brutal pit.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                                I'm cheating and basically counting anything with his vocals in here, so Japan, Rain Tree Crow, Nine Horses and guest appearances all count as David Sylvian for me. I'd listen to him reading a phone book. Mrs7610 on the other hand finds him to be a thoroughly depressing bastard and never misses an opportunity to voice this opinion.

Comment

This has been surprisingly hard. Motorhead at number one, obviously, but, after that, it is harder. It's between AC/DC, Sex Pistols, Elvis, ABBA, Ramones, Johnny Cash, the Manics. Oooh, and Public Enemy and a band that no-one knows apart from Ray called The Wigs (featuring the main potter from The Great Pottery Throwdown).

Comment

Originally posted by gavc23 View Post
                                                    Hevisaurus are an all dinosaur power metal band for the under 10s from Finland. .
                                                    That sounds amazing. I'm going to have to check them out.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X