Your three fave bands/artists: maximum of three; a running survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Disco Child Ballads View Post
    This is a difficult one. My top 2, The Beatles and XTC, never change, but I guess the third one depends on whatever mood I'm in that week. This week I'm going for Stephen Sondheim.
    Bloody hell, a friend of mine swears by those two bands as his top two as well. I always thought it was the weirdest combination. He leant me countless XTC CDs, and I could never get into them. I also made the mistake of downloading them and, despite attempts to erase them, they seem to be eternally saved on my iPod and my soul sinks whenever they come up on shuffle and I sprint across the room to forward on to the next track. Their songs all seem to merely plod along.

Do you own the Fuzzy Warbles compilations? I'm always on the lookout for them because he doesn't have them and I think they'd make a good present, but they seem very rare.

[Edit - just checked on amazon and they seem to have been re-issued in 2016.]
    Last edited by imp; 19-12-2018, 17:09. Reason: Fuzzy Warbles update

Comment

Favourite bands/Artists I listen to all the time is different to my favourite musicians if that makes any sense?
      So my musical heroes are:-

Robert Smith
      David Bowie
      Prince

But for stuff I listen to a lot it would be:-

The Cure
      Lloyd Cole (+/- Commotions)
      Depeche Mode

So I'm not saying I think Lloyd Cole is better than Bowie or Prince, say. Or that I like his music more.
      But I do listen to him more often and I recieve more visceral pleasure from his music, in large part because of when I started listening to him. I came to Prince and Bowie as an adult whereas the Cure, Lloyd Cole and Depeche Mode were in my teens when it all just meant more.

Comment

1. The Bathers
        2. Friends Again
        3. The Orchids

Comment

If it's worth anything, XTC would be one of the three or four bands fighting for 3rd place, along with The Pogues and Joy Division.

Comment

That I listen to now....

- Alessandro Cortini
            - William Basinski
            - Mogwai

Comment

The Beatles
              The Cure
              The Jam / The Style Council / Paul Weller

Originally posted by imp View Post
              Bloody hell, a friend of mine swears by those two bands as his top two as well. I always thought it was the weirdest combination.
              When I was in Australia in late '95, there was a guy from Lancashire whose favourite band was XTC, and the thrill for him was treating the next release as if it was a release by The Beatles. Totally off-thread, this guy told me he was a quantity surveyor who traveled around the north-west, and in a bizzare coincidence just happened to be in north-wales when a girl was abducted and murdered from her tent in her garden, and was in the same part of Liverpool when Jamie Bulger was murdered. He said he was surprised to not get a call from the police, as he was using the same car.

Anyway, here's where The Beatles meet XTC;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-fL68DbcQ0

Comment

1. Rush
                2. Anthrax
                3. Super Furry Animals

The order has been known to be fluid.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                  If it's worth anything, XTC would be one of the three or four bands fighting for 3rd place
                  Yep. Supergrass, Teenage Fanclub and Slayer (and, indeed, XTC) might be up there.

Not sure if that's the first time they've been mentioned in the same sentence.

Comment

OK, erm …. (prevaricates for a bit):
                    1. Husker Du (do not listen to as much now, but opened my ears to a whole host of new music)
                    2. Love (just for Forever Changes)
                    3. The The

Comment

The Tragically Hip
                      Midnight Oil
                      George Ezra (very new to my play list compared to the other 2)

Comment

The Fall
                        Joy Division
                        Sisters Of Mercy

Comment

(4 to 6:
                          Theatre Of Hate
                          The Chameleons
                          Oma Hans)

Comment

The Smiths
                            Alison Moyet
                            Wham!

Leaving no place for They Might be Giants, The Housemartins, or Dylan. Which is unconscionable, but rules is rules.

Comment

I go through phases so for the past year or so I'd say my fave bands/artists have been:

1. Streetlight Manifesto
                              2. The Dead South
                              3. The Cure

This will probably change over the next 6 months as I'll probably hear a song from Arctic Monkeys or The Beatles or Doves or Fall Out Boy or even something completely new (as The Dead South and The Cure were to me this year) and listen to that until I can't take anymore.

Comment

The 3 that have spent longest on the top 3 list and often return though don't necessarily occupy the top 3 spots this week
                                The Smiths
                                Gil Scott Heron
                                The Waterboys

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                  Bob Dylan

Love

Teddy Grace
                                  If nothing else, Love deserve a lot of credit for taking the ideal name for a band of their ilk early in the 60s before anyone else got it. As it is, the other west coast hippy bands were forced to make do with silly names like the Electric Prunes or 13th Floor Elevators.
                                  Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 19-12-2018, 19:29.

Comment

Can, Funkadelic, the Fall. I might go years without listening to them then bore the tits of everyone around me with massive binges.

Comment

The Beatles
                                      The Temptations
                                      Otis Redding

Ask me again tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                        If nothing else, Love deserve a lot of credit for taking the ideal name for a band of their ilk early in the 60s before anyone else got it. As it is, the other west coast hippy bands were forced to make do with silly names like the Electric Prunes or 13th Floor Elevators.
                                        That's been noted several times over the years. Ironically most of their music had little to do with peace, love and flowers. They were pretty west-coast untypical really.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                          The 3 that have spent longest on the top 3 list and often return though don't necessarily occupy the top 3 spots this week
                                          The Smiths
                                          Gil Scott Heron
                                          The Waterboys
                                          I've said before and it remains true - The Waterboys are by far my 'most seen' live act, and today they've announced a tour so I'll be adding to that score next year. Most of the recent output has been too much of a slog for them to retain top three status though.

Bowie
                                          The Clash
                                          Lanterns on the Lake (not just to prove I'm not completely stuck in the past, but it helps).

Comment

Nowadays I'm quite happy with the unchalleging option of sticking on a greatest hits but the following are the three bands whose albums are still at the top of the pile and which I could quite happily play at any time.

The Wedding Present
                                            Half Man Half Biscuit
                                            New Order

Bubbling under - Heavenly and The Family Cat.

Comment

Joy Division
                                              Half Man Half Biscuit
                                              British Sea Power

Comment

I saw Hot Pepsi's list and it was definitely a "well, fuck, alright then" moment:

Joy Division
                                                Fugazi
                                                Jesus and Mary Chain

Comment

Bloody hell; that's around 77 artists mentioned already! Keep em coming, good fun.

Comment

Genesis

Magnetic Fields

The Blue Aeroplanes

Comment

Working...
                                                    X