Artists you like that hardly anyone else on OTF does

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Max Payne View Post
    I'll see all you Garbage fans and raise you Curve.

I don't see Free mentioned on here a lot either, any love for them?
    I like Curve. Doppelganger and Cuckoo were great albums. I think Turkey Crossing is my favourite song.

Comment

I didn't mind Curve, but they always sounded a bit too 'route one' for me to go as overboard on them as a lot of folk did at the time. (By comparison, that first Garbage album seemed brimming with sardonic lyric writing.)

One of my friends was (probably still is?) a massive fan of Cranes, who are often overlooked in these discussions. Again, I thought they had their moments, but a whole album of her voice didn't entirely work for me, at least back then. Maybe a revisit? (For 'nineties indie minimalism with female vocal', my first stop tended to be Stereolab or Broadcast.)

As for the other recent entries into this pantheon, I own albums by Elliot Smith, the Wolfgang Press, Clinic (one of my favourite acts of the era) and even have a soft spot for Groop Dogdrill, whose Lovely Skin reminds me of a good time in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
        I...even have a soft spot for Groop Dogdrill, whose Lovely Skin reminds me of a good time in my life.
        Yes, I am a fan of the first album but it is far more cartoonish and straightforward. It is the "Ill Communication" to "Half Nelson"s "Paul's Boutique"...or something. I assume you have seen the video for 'Lovely Skin' which is, well, ho you'd expect really. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49qU4hnNj8Y

Have you heard any of Pete Spilby's other stuff - Future Ex-Wife and the very metal Black Spiders? I think he has a solo project now as well.

Comment

Hmm...that promo doesn't exactly assist my memories of the song! The fledgling Xfm played it loads on their 1997 launch and I think also b-listed Oily Rag, the 1998 follow-up. (Capitol took over soon after, so nothing else got a sniff.)

I'll be honest, I didn't really follow Pete Spiby's post-Dogdrill career (although I recall that he was in Boneyard prior to GD). But I quite enjoyed their pub-rock-ish energy, so if there's anything you'd especially recommend, then do of course post.

Comment

Count me in with the Elliot Smith fan club. Lucky enough to see him with Grandaddy at an open air show in Tempe, Arizona (right under the flight-path for Sky Harbour airport). One of my top 10 or so shows.

Imagine there's some affection for him here but Wreckless Eric's pretty much my favourite artist these days.

Comment

Think someone (ahc?) shared my tlc love. Dunno if anyone else rates Shannon's Let the Music Play above Bambaataa or whatever as the greatest electro track evah.

Comment

Let The Music Play has strong claims for being the greatest record ever made, IMO.

Comment

Testify.

Comment

First time I heard it on a live mix on Radio 1 Vicar Westwood mid 90s I got a backgasm. Electric spine chills.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Payne View Post
                      I'll see all you Garbage fans and raise you Curve.

I don't see Free mentioned on here a lot either, any love for them?
                      Ah, the band Garbage ripped their entire act from.

Comment

I think G-Man likes them too, but I’m pretty sure I’m the only non-South African who knows the Springbok Nude Girls exist, much less likes them.

If if I had to characterise them in a sentence, it would probably be a poor man’s Faith No More, but they are truly one of the strangest bands you’ll ever hear. Their most trod-upon territory was metal tinged hard rock with keyboardist, but they would play almost anything and most of their hits were sentimental power pop. It’s difficult to see them outside their milieu, as white South Africans trying to make up for the lost time of isolation. No South African band did ska, so we’ll do ska (the keyboardist could play the trumpet). No South African band did punk, so we’ll do punk. No South African band did bluesy country-rock, so we’ll do that.

Just an odd band, and their lack of concrete direction probably made them impossible to sell outside SA - what could you market them as? - but they were pretty good at every genre they did.

Comment

Historically I don't think that either James Taylor or Zero 7 are very popular on here but I like them.

Comment

Early JT was fine. Sweet Baby James stands up really well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                              Think someone (ahc?) shared my tlc love. Dunno if anyone else rates Shannon's Let the Music Play above Bambaataa or whatever as the greatest electro track evah.
                              TLC are great. Got their best of for something like a quid in a Fopp sale years ago. Full of tunes.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                Early JT was fine. Sweet Baby James stands up really well.
                                It's great, and so is 'Mud Slide Slim' and several albums of the 70's and even the later 'Hourglass' but my experience on here has been that very few people share my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post

Ah, the band Garbage ripped their entire act from.
                                  This reads as though Curve's entire sound was something we'd never heard before. I mean, they were okay - but they weren't original.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

This reads as though Curve's entire sound was something we'd never heard before. I mean, they were okay - but they weren't original.
                                    Maybe, but “Garbage succeeded with Curve’s template” is one of those truisms that I’ve seen all over the internet to the point no one disputes it. I haven’t listened to Doppelgänger in a while, so I put it on Spotify. Curve’s bio mentions Garbage in the first paragraph.

Comment

When i was 'working' in the upstairs bar in the stags head circa 2003 someone had brought the lead singer from the levellers over to some do in college and brought him to the upstairs bar afterwards. He struck me as a prick so i asked him what kind of music did they play and what decade were they active in, oh and were they any good. He didn't like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                        Let The Music Play has strong claims for being the greatest record ever made, IMO.
                                        In that milieu I think I narrowly favour Jocelyn Brown's 'Somebody Else's Guy', but not so much that I'd have an argument about it, like. Probably I'd just put both of them on one after another and dance.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post

Maybe, but “Garbage succeeded with Curve’s template” is one of those truisms that I’ve seen all over the internet to the point no one disputes it. I haven’t listened to Doppelgänger in a while, so I put it on Spotify. Curve’s bio mentions Garbage in the first paragraph.
                                          I'd accept that they'd likely be a primary influence, but I think that Garbage - certainly on that debut album - added a layer of dark cynicism that didn't really exist in Curve's earlier output.

Comment

Are there any other Steeleye Span fans out there?

Comment

Hell yeah! Of all the British folk rock bands, they are definitely my favourite (although I have a very soft spot for Mr Fox). Seen them live, nearly twenty years ago mind you.

Are there any other Brandy fans out there? Surely G-Man will come to my aid.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                                                Hell yeah! Of all the British folk rock bands, they are definitely my favourite (although I have a very soft spot for Mr Fox). Seen them live, nearly twenty years ago mind you.

Are there any other Brandy fans out there? Surely G-Man will come to my aid.
                                                Excellent, Jon. I got into them in the '70s at about the same time that punk took off. I'm not sure how many teenagers were listening to Folkweave on Radio 2 at that time but I was one of them.

I'm not too keen on the bouncy bit in the middle but I adore Long Lankin:

Comment

Oh yes, it's tracks like that that bring out the best in the Span. See also Thomas the Rhymer. I got into them about twenty years ago, early on in my discovery of folk music. like i said, i liked quite a few folk rock bands from that era. I then went on to listen to more traditional folk stuff and went to a few festivals too but nothing else i listened to affected me quite as much as steeleye span's stuff.

Comment

Thomas the Rhymer really reminds me of early days at secondary school - it was given a lot of airplay by R1 but for some reason wasn't a hit (despite being the follow-up to Gaudete, which obviously had been).

I recall being a bit snooty about the Span, but they definitely had their moments. Fighting for Strangers (1976) was a very haunting single.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X