The Fifth Dimension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Fifth Dimension

I really like the Fifth Dimension. They never became trendy. They were never 'rediscovered'. But, they made a lot of gorgeous records and are perhaps due a reassessment, What say you?

Most certainly, Yes!

I love this one, penned by Neil Sedaka

Comment

They — or someone close to them — had a real knack for finding material by, then, relatively unknown but excellent songwriters such as Laura Nyro and Jim Webb. I probably originally heard both through Fifth Dimension songs. Otherwise they were just too mainstream for this, very particular, pretentious teenager.

Comment

I like them.

They've acquired a certain amount of retrospective credibility over the years because of the Jimmy Webb connection, as his reputation as one of the greats has become more widely acknowledged.

As a touring act over the years, they seem to have burned through members at a rate that would make The Temptations blush.

Comment

It was the Fifth Dimension that steered me towards Laura Nyro. I came to Jim Webb through Glen Campbell.

Comment

Ed Sullivan devoted an entire episode of his top-rated variety show to their fifth anniversary
            Last edited by ursus arctos; 27-10-2018, 15:09.

Comment

Didn't know that ursus. Love to have seen that.

It may have been forgotten that some/many of their songs addressed the Civil Rights movement. A universe (dimension?) away from, say, The Last Poets but none the less valid.

Comment

Here are seven and half minutes of it

Comment

Webb, Nyro and Bacharach songs.

My Fifth Dimension Top 5:

Stoned Soul Picnic
                  One Less Bell To Answer
                  Working On A Groovy Thing
                  Up, Up And Away
                  Never Gonna Be The Same

Comment

Pretty much the same only I would have to find a way in for "Wedding Bell Blues".

Comment

Knew noting about them, ever, but Age of Aquarius and Up Up and Away where part of the soundtrack to our childhoods in the early 70s.

Comment

Love them. Played their whole greatest hits in the car about two weeks back and L complained that it sounded like one long Coke jingle. But she hates that ‘60s sunshine pop/Aquarius sound, so I knew the comment was coming.

Comment

DJ turned soundtrack composer/curator David Holmes is a fan and used their stuff quite a bit in the late '90s and '00s.

Comment

Up, Up and Away was one of the earliest pop hits I recall being used for an advertising campaign (for TWA)

Comment

Up, Up and Away is one of the first times that I discovered that a song that I only knew from a TV advertising parody was actually a real song.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                Up, Up and Away was one of the earliest pop hits I recall being used for an advertising campaign (for TWA)
                                Interesting. It was used in Canada for Labatt's Blue beer when I was a kid.

Comment

TWA rhymes a bit better.

Comment

The hot air balloon was a big promo device for Blue for years.

Comment

I find them a bit similar to The Third Wave.

Comment

Working...
                                      X