The Oo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Oo.

Stopped at a light. I had The Who playing in the car. A cop came up and asked me whybit was so loud. I tried to explain that it was The Who. The WHO and that the only way to listen to the Who was loud. He looked at me in a rather nonplussed way and left.

Love it. Do you remember which song got the cop's attention?

Live at Leeds is my favorite live album.

I cranked this one a couple of days ago.

I miss Keith Moon and the Ox.

Comment

I Can't Explain would've been appropriate...

Comment

I think it was "My Generation".

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
          I Can't Explain would've been appropriate...
          Or I Can Hear for Miles...

Comment

Big fan of the Who but, over recent years, have increasingly become a massive fan of Entwhistle. Obviously, got into them from an early-ish age and they are the foundation of much of my favourite music by other artists. Of course, it was all about Townsend, Moon and, to lesser extent, Daltrey. However, in the recent decade, I have come to love Entwhistle more and more. This is, of course, because I have been playing bass mainly for that time and, as such, been much more attention to bass-playing and Entwhistle is one of the best. He can be as fancy as you like but not so much that it detracts from the song. Indeed, you often have to give the song one or two more listens to hear exactly what he is doing. On occasion, it is much more than that.

For example, I love the Pistols' version of "Substitute" and they did it in their usual way (pre-internet guitar tabs) of just playing what they thought the song was and, where necessary, jettisoning the bits they couldn't work out, couldn't play or didn't need - see also their version of "Stepping Stone" for this. When it came to my teenage band doing a cover of 'Substitute' , we just nicked the Pistols version and the bas player playing the same root notes as the guitar chords. Anyway, for my 50th, I thought it would be fun to revive it with my current band. Fuck me, I had a surprise when I tried to work out the actual bass line and play it. I actually made it harder for myself as I was singing it as well which, to be fair, Entwhistle didn't have to do. It was great fun to do in the end but I am not sure that I wold have suggested it if I had known how difficult the bass line was. Perhaps presciently, I got our guitarist to sing "Start" by the Jam which we also covered and also had a fairly intricate bass line.

Comment

Working...
            X