X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuff You Just Don't Get.

I don't think we have had this in Music so -

Foo Fighters

In so many ways, they tick all the boxes for me and, certainly, Dave Grohl seems like a nice guy with some interesting ideas. I loved "Sonic Highways" until Foo Fighters did their invariably over-wrought song at the end.

Cheap Trick

So many bands that I like name-check them but, like Kiss (who I do get but am not the hugest fan of), I think that they are more of an American interest. I heard their "Surrender" tonight and it was just 'meh'. They had the sort of commercial hook but nothing compared to, say, The New York Dolls or Ramones.

Obviously, there is lots of music that I don't get like, say, The Smiths but this thread is more for stuff that, on paper, you should love but just doesn't it for you.

I think Cheap Trick were at their hugest in Japan. I remember I Want You To Want Me — which was everywhere — and Surrender which wasn't even top 40 in the US, but that's it. They appear to have disappeared for almost a decade (79–88) and then returned with a short string of hits including their only US #1 The Flame (no idea) and a cover of Don't Be Cruel. Also something called Ghost Town, but I don't think it can be that one can it?

Comment

The only things I really know about Cheap Trick are the take offs of them; Big Black posing as them and covering He's a Whore, ...At Budokan becoming a kind of running joke for unlikely hugeness in Japan. I haven't got the foggiest about their music per se, which is almost another thread in itself; bands you have a strong sense of at some level without being able to hum a bar of their work.

Prominent among bands that on paper would appear to have been designed specifically with me in mind but just don't do it for me would be Hot Chip and LCD Soundsystem. There's no point telling me that I'm a cloth eared fool; that's the point, I'm completely aware that all the form suggests that I should love them, but I don't. If I had to analyse why, not being fond of either lead singer's voice would be a big factor, which is perhaps the most subjective connection with any band.

Comment

You're not gonna tick more boxes for me than having Chris Cornell and Tom Morello in the same band but I was so disappointed with Audioslave.

Comment

Deacon Blue. I should have liked them but could never shake off a feeling they were a bit fake. Still can't.

Very unfair on them, but as Bored said, this isn't necessarily a logical thing.

Comment

I know a guy who absolutely loves Deacon Blue, books to see them as soon as tickets go on sale and looks forward to it all year. It has kind of affected how I think of them in that they're not my thing, but because of him I can see them as a possible object of fandom and devotion, rather than the slightly MOR wallpaper band of my prejudices.

Comment

Wasn't much of a fan at the time, but Cheap Trick were great fun when they played ATP in 2002. Self-effacing guys who couldn't 'quite' believe they were headlining at a holiday camp.

As for Deacon Blue, give them all the stick you like. Poor man's Prefab Sprout without the tunes or ideas.

Comment

I don't mind Deacon Blue's singles (dons tin hat). Never understood how a band as middle of the road as they were became so hated in certain quarters.

Comment

I could listen to Cheap Trick's At Budokan any day of the week. To me, it's everything a live album should be, which is 'sound of the crowd + eager band + fair bit of live sloppiness'. Also, in its original form, it's tight through editing. It's a great live set. After that high point in (I think) '77, a whole lot of 'meh'. See also "Up The Creek" for terrible '80sness.

Deacon Blue never bothered us on these shores, so I'm not sure what's what with them.

As for Audioslave, it kind of feels like all of those 'supergroups' sucked in one way or another. I mean, Velvet Revolver...Audioslave...talk about trying too hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                    Foo Fighters Dave Grohl seems like a nice guy with some interesting ideas. I loved "Sonic Highways" until Foo Fighters did their invariably over-wrought song at the end.
                    All of this. Great show. Really interesting. Shit music. Foo Fighters now are just Nickelback with more cred. They're well out of ideas at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                      Wasn't much of a fan at the time, but Cheap Trick were great fun when they played ATP in 2002. Self-effacing guys who couldn't 'quite' believe they were headlining at a holiday camp.
                      To be fair, that is completely the impression I get of them as people but just don't get it musically.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                        Deacon Blue. I should have liked them but could never shake off a feeling they were a bit fake. Still can't.
                        I am absolutely fascinated by the idea that they, on paper, tick all your boxes. What other stuff are you into?

Comment

Love Deacon Blue. First saw them live in Aberdeen in 1987. Going to see them next month in Liverpool.
                          Their first album Raintown in a cracker.

Their drummer, Dougie Vipond, was also a sports presenter and has been the presenter on Landward (a Scottish version of Countryfile) for years.

Comment

Ricky Ross presents a fair bit on Scottish radio as well, doesn't he? To be fair, I have enjoyed what I have heard.

Comment

Clothes. I don't get clothes. Or rather, the attention people pay to them, the fashion thing, the excitement, all that. And I mostly have no idea what people are going on about when they talk clothes. It could be a brand name or an item of clothing I've not heard of. Or some method of wearing one or the other.

Totally over my head. Always has been.

Comment

Also, commercial advertising.

Comment

Felt, My Bloody Valentine and Belle & Sebastian are all closed books to me, which in Indiepop City marks me down as distinctly eccentric.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                    Clothes. I don't get clothes. Or rather, the attention people pay to them, the fashion thing, the excitement, all that. And I mostly have no idea what people are going on about when they talk clothes. It could be a brand name or an item of clothing I've not heard of. Or some method of wearing one or the other.

Totally over my head. Always has been.
                                    You might be like me, TonTon, someone who surfs these boards using only the New Posts page so doesn't pay attention to what comes from what forum – but this thread is Bored's new variant specifically for the Music forum. Unfortunately it has the exact same title as the more general version, I believe.

Edit: Er, which I see is technically Film, TV and Radio only, not 'general'. I'd forgotten that.
                                    Last edited by Various Artist; 13-10-2018, 21:59.

Comment

Was just about to point that out.

If you like “New Posts”, you will love “Activity Stream”.

TonTon speaks sense on both counts, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                        I am absolutely fascinated by the idea that they, on paper, tick all your boxes. What other stuff are you into?
                                        It’s not that they’re right up my alley but I really like Prefab Sprout, like XTC almost as much and always enjoyed what I heard of Aztec Camera. In my head I bracket these bands in a category of “slightly too clever to be massively successful” and felt it’s what Deacon Blue aspired to.

Comment

And yet they’ve been more successful.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                            You might be like me, TonTon, someone who surfs these boards using only the New Posts page so doesn't pay attention to what comes from what forum – but this thread is Bored's new variant specifically for the Music forum. Unfortunately it has the exact same title as the more general version, I believe.

Edit: Er, which I see is technically Film, TV and Radio only, not 'general'. I'd forgotten that.
                                            Oh. Well that's really silly, isn't it?

Comment

So much is these days.

And the rest is so often shit.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                                All of this. Great show. Really interesting. Shit music. Foo Fighters now are just Nickelback with more cred. They're well out of ideas at this point.
                                                Yeah, this, absolutely. The first pair of albums were definitely worthwhile - and Dave G remains music's Dr Good - but the FF sound has long gone 'generawk'. But what do they care? They've been raking in the mainstream dollar for yonks now.

Agree also with the 'supergroup' reservation. Blame Asia. (I mean, Jesus...) Apart from Prophets Of Rage, which works well.
                                                Last edited by Jah Womble; 14-10-2018, 08:47.

Comment

I’m a big Cheap Trick fan but they do suffer from not really being anything, they’re not alternative, not rock as such, not metal and tend to fall between the cracks. That they also don’t have a look that works with any genre doesn’t help either.

They do claim to be more peoples’ third favourite band than anyone else, which might not be far wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X