Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can feel it going in the air tonight...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

+1, every time I see that video I want to kill everyone involved,the song is so shit it's unbelievable and as for the "behind the scenes banter " just thinking about it puts up my blood pressure.
    It is a very shit song, but there's a fine reverse paradiddle flam on the snare/toms to bring in the first breakdown. I was reminded of this when I heard it in B&Q the other day.

Comment

Well, I went to the third-last night of the final Genesis shows, and that was something. To my genuine surprise (cos I don't like a lot of their later stuff) it was fucking magical - a meditation on aging, and what music means in the living of a life, performed with incredible power and sensitivity over 2.5 hours straight-through; complemented by visuals which subtly illuminated the technical virtousity at its heart whilst never losing sight of the impact that time as had on its protagonists - there were a lot of songs/snippets of songs used (eg Fading Lights, and the very end of Throwing it All Away, with Collins in close focus singing 'I don't wanna go'; I Know What I Like where he couldn't stand up, and just hit the tambourine on to his head a couple of times, then put it down) to emphasise that that was it. It was very moving. I cried twice.

Collins' vocals were occasionally flat/out, but the effort he was putting in won out over that. It was great to see the cameras focus on things that yer average listener might not notice, like Rutherford's relentless guitar picking of the melody all through Carpet Crawlers, right at the end of the 2.5 hour set. It's here, for those here (vanishingly small, I appreciate) who might like it. That's all, as they say. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzXMiYo9Z5Q

Comment

Thanks for that. That's great to read.

Comment

I think King Crimson have hinted that their last show, in Japan, might have literally been their last, which is quite a landmark if true.

Comment

Just read this thread for the first time from start to finish. Some great posts, especially from johnr, that I've learnt stuff about music from reading. Those final Genesis concerts sound very emotional. Christ, what a sad life Phil Collins has had, really. Exhibit #1 in the "money can't buy you happiness" exhibition, bad health obviously being a big part of it.

LOL at the hostility towards Easy Lover. I mean, I would get very bored of it quite quickly, but I've heard plenty worse and more irritating or grating pop songs.

As for Peter Gabriel, I don't think anyone mentioned Steam, which is my favourite song of his.

All these celebs with their multiple marriages and divorces make me feel very steady being only on wife #2 (and hopefully not getting a second divorce any time soon) in my late 50s!

Comment

Easy Lover is a very good record. It swings and has a great transition into the chorus. I think it gets swept unfairly into the dissing of Collins' other singles around that time, like the pale copy of 'You Can't Hurry Love'.

Comment

like the pale copy of 'You Can't Hurry Love'.
                An entry in the long tradition of cover versions which inspire two questions: 1. Why the hell did you think a cover version was needed and 2. and why by you?

Comment

Easy lover is a great song. Its use in The Assassination of Gianni Versace is incredible.

Comment

Just so you know, you said that on page 2, LS.

Comment

Ha

Comment

10/10 for consistency, Spoony

Thanks for the thread and the updates johnr - I now know a lot more than I did previously.

Comment

Just came across this, I saw that tour earlier on, but this 'outtake' wasn't on the official video. That's some drumming there (the switch from 9/8 to 4/4-plus-singing does my head in), and - if you can get to the end amongst all the technical histrionics - with the EWF Horns joining in it shows a man living his best life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OqICdai-Hs

Comment

It's possibly a sign of middle age that I'm becoming less hostile to the music of Genesis these days. They did a lot of rubbish but there are some gems in there if you look, including this which may be the best lyric that Collins ever came up with
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9SuH_6uWQU

'Misunderstanding' is a banging tune as well.

Comment

I always thought that some of the songs on Duke were great, and I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anyone say something positive about it until DCB’s post. I’m a bit taken aback to discover that my two favourites are Rutherford compositions! Alone Tonight and Man Of Our Times.

Comment

Originally posted by Disco Child Ballads View Post
                                It's possibly a sign of middle age that I'm becoming less hostile to the music of Genesis these days.
                                I had Genesis as per the And Then There Were Three album cover sewn onto the back of my demin jacket as a 13 year old. As Dylan sang, I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.

Calling it one of the finest songs ever written might be stretching it a bit but I do still love The Musical Box though.

Comment

I owned "Follow You, Follow Me" and is still sounds like no other pop single of the time. But "Mama" etc just sounded like overwrought bollocks, like "The Wall".

Collins could write a decent ballad and "Easy Lover" is just great fun.

Drums on some of John Martyn's best work.

Comment

I quite enjoyed Mama - had no idea it was Genesis the first couple of times I heard it.

That was probably why.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                      "Mama" etc just sounded like overwrought bollocks, like "The Wall".
                                      This, totally. Never understood the fuss about Another Brick In The Wall. Those bloody kids.

Comment

Working...
                                      X