Box Frenzy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Box Frenzy

What are your favourite box sets? They seem to fall into two categories; the big macro-career document and the exhaustive, every fart'n'burp, treatment of a particular album or passage of work. I much prefer the former, but with acts you like, often you'll have it all anyway.

What has brought this to mind is that I picked up copies of the Kraftwerk 3D Catalogue and Bill Withers complete albums sets for £30 apiece recently and I'm loving them. The 'Werk in particular is extremely moreish, even though I have the more lavishly packaged Catalogue remaster set from a few years back and have always carried on playing my old CDs in preference to that, perhaps because the artefactual element is too strong with that one.

All time favourites:

1. Velvet Underground - Peel Slowly And See
    2. Joy Division - Heart And Soul
    3. The Fall - Complete Peel Sessions

What are yours?

Don't buy a lot of them but the most played was Buzzcocks' Product which I bought on vinyl with my first wage from a student job in a factory. I later bought it again on CD and yes, gave the vinyl one away.

I've bought them for 'classic albums' (in my own terms) like London Calling and Grace, and the most extensive was the one for Fishermans Blues which was something of a slog to get through but it did have rare versions of the elusive great lost Waterboys song Higher Bound.

Comment

I can see how Fisherman's Blues might suit the treatment; it was quite a change of direction and it'd be interesting to see how much effort went into making it sound effortless and natural.

B-sides and rarities are often good to have, the live sets that pad out a lot of bumper re-releases I can usually take or leave.

Comment

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds Sessions (1997), but it's my all-time favourite album so a no-brainer

Beach Boys - Good Vibrations (1993 5 CD career retrospective) https://www.amazon.com/Good-Vibratio.../dp/B000002UR4

Beach Boys - Smile Sessions (2011) - the great "lost album" https://www.amazon.com/Smile-Session.../dp/B004RFYEEC

The Beatles had 'mono' and 'stereo' box sets in 2009 but I did not invest
        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 29-07-2018, 13:32.

Comment

Me too for 'Heart and Soiul'. Also Bunnymen's 'Crystal Days' and the Costello/Nieve five-CD live set

Comment

Yes, Peel Slowly & See for me as well, plus The Beatles in Mono.

Comment

Working...
            X