Favorite German language tracks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite German language tracks?

I'm putting together a 2-hr playlist for an all-German radio show, wondering if anyone had some personal favorites that they'd want to share here...
    Last edited by linus; 23-07-2018, 03:58.

Oh man, where do you start?

Must include Karel Gott's version of Paint It Black.

If the playlist is accompanied by some narrative, the hegemony of Kölsch music throughout Germany in the 1980s is a great subject.

If you're looking for a few off-beat ideas -- assorted German curiosities, international stars singing in Germans, German covers of international hits, Third Reich-era classics etc. -- I know a good place for that.

Comment

All Kraftwerk's stuff sounds better in its original tongue. Especially Radioactivität.

Comment

Um, my German playlist consists of Rammstein, Eisbrecher and Megaherz. That isn't going to help.

Comment

For some reason, Bury's club video producers used to use Der Kommissar by Falco as the soundtrack to a brief montage of highlights at the start of every tape. Given that these were from the mid-90s when we had a sustained spell of success, i'll always think back fondly to that tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
            All Kraftwerk's stuff sounds better in its original tongue. Especially Radioactivität.
            Ach ja, put on Computerliebe to confuse the Coldplay crowd.

Comment

Cojdoj- the legendary Yiddish version

Die Lads auf Macc

In SanTropez steht ein Strandcafe

Punk's not dead- but Paul is alas
              Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 23-07-2018, 12:12.

Comment

Does it have to be modern music? Would Der Hölle Rache be allowed? Or Ode an die Freude...?

Last edited by Kevin S; 23-07-2018, 13:30.

Comment

Schoenberg 'A Survivor from Warsaw'

Comment

Some vintage Dietrich?

Comment

Always preferred this song as neun und neunzig...

Comment

Nicole's 1982 Eurovision winner

Kraftwerk 'Autobahn' obviously, and 'Tour de France'

The Beatles' German version of She Loves You'.

Comment

A bilingual effort from the Manics and Nina Hoss:

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                            Ach ja, put on Computerliebe to confuse the Coldplay crowd.
                            Hang on, the familiar tune's still the same, surely. So hearing Computerliebe wouldn't be that much more confusing to an unenlightened Coldplay fan than Computer Love would be, I'd have thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                              Hang on, the familiar tune's still the same, surely. So hearing Computerliebe wouldn't be that much more confusing to an unenlightened Coldplay fan than Computer Love would be, I'd have thought.
                              Nah, both would work for confusion's sake.

Comment

I can recommend the entire "Peggy" album by Oma Hans. "Kreisverkehr" and "Aus Stahl" are my favourite tracks.

Comment

Front 242 - Im Rhythmus Bleiben

Comment

May I suggest...

Xmal Deutschland - Geheimnis - the John Peel version is dirtier, in a good way, otherwise is on their first LP Fetisch - most tracks are sung in German.

DAF - Liebe Auf Den Ersten Blick - the LP track from Gold und Leibe (there's a few different versions that might sit well in a two hour session)

or

Comment

"Begrab Mein Herz" was a better Xmal Deutschland track, I always thought.

The Xmal Deutschland guitarist is a regular in my (German) local. She's so modest, it's not true.
                                      Last edited by treibeis; 23-07-2018, 16:51.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                        Oh man, where do you start?

Must include Karel Gott's version of Paint It Black.

If the playlist is accompanied by some narrative, the hegemony of Kölsch music throughout Germany in the 1980s is a great subject.

If you're looking for a few off-beat ideas -- assorted German curiosities, international stars singing in Germans, German covers of international hits, Third Reich-era classics etc. -- I know a good place for that.
                                        Loved your Hits aus Deutschland vintage series GMan, one of your best contributions to this board, it got me looking into the likes of Pola Negri and the Weintraub (brothers? aka Comedian Harmonists?). I got the first two instalments but haven't heard the 1938-45 edition yet (for some reason I haven't managed to DL it on the first attempt...)

Great recs all around, looking forward to checking them out tonight, danke!
                                        Last edited by linus; 23-07-2018, 16:54.

Comment

Ex-CDR singer Reinhard Lakomy's acerbic take on post-Wende attempts to rewrite one's personal part in GDR history "Alles Stasi ausser Mutti" is a personal favourite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ACeSScmt0U

Comment

Comment

I suppose fans of other clubs will be offended by Stern des Suedens but it's a cracking football anthem.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                                  Ex-CDR singer Reinhard Lakomy's acerbic take on post-Wende attempts to rewrite one's personal part in GDR history "Alles Stasi ausser Mutti" is a personal favourite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ACeSScmt0U
                                                  Interesting stuff EEG.

On the DDR front, I guess it starts with the anthem, which few of us remember:

Some great talent in the DDR film soundtrack realm, like Karl-Ernst Sasse, who scored a lot of films for DEFA:

Comment

Working...
                                                  X