No announcement yet.

Elvis Costello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I'm not happy with him not simply saying the one thing that would clearly state his level of knowledge. And frankly, he doesnt say it because it wouldn't be true. So kudos to him. It's you that believes otherwise...not him.
    Last edited by WOM; 20-11-2019, 13:05.

Comment

But about this whole 'member of the uk media thing' you're so hung up on. I'm not saying he's a reporter or a researcher or a presenter on BBC. But he's clearly an active radio personality and has been for a very long time. As such, no matter what you believe based on the content of his show, we can maybe agree that he's a bit more plugged in than the cabbie that drove him to the station that morning. And you know what...even the cabbie knew that Megan Markle was pregnant.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

... but I'll accept it's implied rather than explicitly stated.
        But why??? Because that's what you want to believe? That's insane.

Comment

And in next week's edition of Guess What's In Someone's Head, Richard Dawkins and Slavoj Zizek argue about why Greg Carpenter of 23 Wordsworth Close, Skipton, put a red T-shirt in his weekly whites wash.

Comment

I might tune in for that.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
              But about this whole 'member of the uk media thing' you're so hung up on. I'm not saying he's a reporter or a researcher or a presenter on BBC. But he's clearly an active radio personality and has been for a very long time. As such, no matter what you believe based on the content of his show, we can maybe agree that he's a bit more plugged in than the cabbie that drove him to the station that morning. And you know what...even the cabbie knew that Megan Markle was pregnant.
              Yer average London cabbie probably cares more about - and certainly discusses more about - the royals than the majority of us, I'd wager.

(Not that I'm for making huge generalisations, or owt like that.)

Comment

You keep skirting the crux of my point, which is that you don't need to care about something to know about something. Like, you can know that Donald Trump is President with being 'into' politics. You can know it's Super Bowl weekend without being into football. There's a baseline of common knowledge that's in the ether. There's not, of course, but I'm hoping you take my point. ie, you don't need to be a royals watch to know the broad strokes around Diana's death, if you see what I mean.

Anyway....

Comment

WOM, the problem a lot of us are having with your certainty on this is that you have very little personal experience of Britain in general and its strange relationship with the "royals" in particular, and yet you keep telling several of those of us who do that you know better.

Baker doesn't live in London, Ontario

Comment

That's an extremely condescending way to stifle my point of view on this. If you're only 'right' if you're local here, what's the point of discussing anything?

Comment

It has nothing to do with location or nationality and everything to do with actual knowledge

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                        You keep skirting the crux of my point, which is that you don't need to care about something to know about something. Like, you can know that Donald Trump is President with being 'into' politics. You can know it's Super Bowl weekend without being into football. There's a baseline of common knowledge that's in the ether. There's not, of course, but I'm hoping you take my point. ie, you don't need to be a royals watch to know the broad strokes around Diana's death, if you see what I mean.

Anyway....
                        I'm not skirting it at all - that aspect of what you say is undoubtedly correct.

However, since the exact opposite can equally be the case - ie, not knowing something that might exist in the general consciousness - I don't see it as the basis for any kind of absolute truth within this debate. Therefore, it remains a moot point - and repeating it isn't going to alter that.

Comment

I don't think Markle's parentage was foregrounded in British reports of the marriage in ways that made it impossible to notice for someone who only browses the news at a glance, which is my understanding of Baker's daily routine (focused on trivia, football miscellany, old musicals, PG Wodehouse and the like).

It's impossible to judge him from the perspective of someone is on OTF pretty much daily. Our 'bubble' is the stuff of these forums; Baker's "bubble" is the above and I don't think they intersect that much.
                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 21-11-2019, 17:35.

Comment

I only realised Markle was mixed race very belatedly, prob before she was married but. If you stay away from the tabloids I think it would be very possible for someone in the U.K. to remain ignorant of her heritage.

Comment

Elvis Costello's dad, Ross McManus
                              https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4w5j9d

Comment

The apple certainly didn't fall far from the tree that's for sure.

Comment

You’re not wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                    Elvis Costello's dad, Ross McManus
                                    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4w5j9d
                                    Love that, and especially love the totally pointless revolving circular stage.

Comment

You know what's wrong with that clip? Not enough percussionists.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                        The apple certainly didn't fall far from the tree that's for sure.
                                        Indeed

Comment

Love that video. I've seen other clips of him but don't recall seeing this one.

Comment

Working...
                                          X