Two-Hit Wonders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two-Hit Wonders

We've done one-hit wonders several times, but who were the notable artists who managed it twice?

I'll start us off with Electric Six (Gay Bar and Danger! High Voltage).

A lot of the acts thought of as one hit wonders had one big hit and a lesser, but still charting follow up.

e.g. Peter Sarstedt "Where do you go to?" and "Frozen Orange Juice"
    Christie "Yellow River" and "San Bernadino"
    Thunderclap Newman "Something in the Air" and "Accidents"

Comment

A Flock of Seagulls sprung to mind, with I Ran and Wishing, though on checking they did have some other minor hits in both the UK and US.

Comment

Yello - Oh Yeah and The Race, but nothing else of note.

Comment

Red Box - Lean On Me and For America

Comment

Originally posted by andrew7610 View Post
            Yello - Oh Yeah and The Race, but nothing else of note.
            Over here, I think it was Oh Yeah and I Love You.

Comment

I'll go with Falco for Der Kommissar and Rock Me Amadeus.

Possibly Vienna Calling, but it was a bit shite.

Comment

Not a two hit wonder, but Don McLean had an 8 year gap between his second hit, Vincent, and third, Crying, with just a minor hit in between. His peaks are 2, 1, 38, 1, 47 all by 1981, then a reissue of American Pie peaking at 12.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_McLean_discography

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                  I'll go with Falco for Der Kommissar and Rock Me Amadeus.

Possibly Vienna Calling, but it was a bit shite.
                  "Jeannie" was a #1 hit in four countries. He had 10 Top Ten hits in Germany, Europe's second-biggest market. It would take a narrow view to reduce him to a two-hit wonder.

Comment

If we are using the criteria of a UK top 40 hit then: -

Baccara - Yes Sir I Can Boogie & Sorry I'm A Lady

The Tubes - White Punks On Dope & Prime Time

Comment

It all depends upon one's definition of a 'hit'. I'd say Top 40 - either UK or US - although these vary somewhat.

This criteria can conceal a few duffers, of course: for example, JoBoxers had the two major 1983 hits with Boxer Beat and Just Got Lucky, but the largely-forgotten Johnny Friendly also made the Top 40.

I'll pitch The Piranhas - Tom Hark (1980, UK #6) and Zambezi (1982, UK #17).

Comment

The Members - "Sound of the Suburbs" and "Offshore Banking Business"

Comment

Katrina and the waves "walking on sunshine " and "love shine a light "

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                            It all depends upon one's definition of a 'hit'. I'd say Top 40 - either UK or US - although these vary somewhat.
                            And why limit it to those two? That's quite Anglocentric. By that definition, you'll have to regard Edith Piaf with the condescension of chart failure.

Comment

Midnight Oil had Beds are Burning and Trugani.

Comment

Originally posted by wittoner View Post
                                A lot of the acts thought of as one hit wonders had one big hit and a lesser, but still charting follow up.

e.g. Peter Sarstedt "Where do you go to?" and "Frozen Orange Juice"
                                Christie "Yellow River" and "San Bernadino"
                                Thunderclap Newman "Something in the Air" and "Accidents"
                                This is why the original post is such a good example, the singles had a similar level of success (in the UK at least - both top 5) and then nothing to match. Even Men at Work had a near Top 20 follow up to Down Under, but it would have sold less than 10% as much as its predecessor.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                  This is why the original post is such a good example, the singles had a similar level of success (in the UK at least - both top 5) and then nothing to match.
                                  I've heard Dick Valentine say that the video for their cover of Radio Gaga was a mis-step in relation to their UK fanbase, as it could be seen as disrespectful to Freddie Mercury.

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                  Even Men at Work had a near Top 20 follow up to Down Under, but it would have sold less than 10% as much as its predecessor.
                                  I just want to say that Overkill is an absolutely bloody brilliant song.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                    And why limit it to those two? That's quite Anglocentric. By that definition, you'll have to regard Edith Piaf with the condescension of chart failure.
                                    Because if you don't place any kind of restriction on an artist's performances then you'd probably struggle to find a two-hit-wonder limit anywhere.

The US and UK charts have generally been considered the most significant in terms of global influence over the decades (largely because most of the most-significant artists have been of either nationality), but if anyone wishes to include the Norwegian indie dance listings within their findings, then, fine.

If it were me, however, I'd probably start a specific thread.
                                    Last edited by Jah Womble; 16-06-2018, 21:42.

Comment

Jona Lewie had two Top 20 hits and nothing else under his own name; his previous hit had been as a member of Terry Dactyl and the Dinosoars.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jona_Lewie

Percy Sledge had a #34 follow up to When A Man Loves A Woman in 1966 so technically qualifies if we only count the UK. He had more success on Billboard

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Sledge
                                      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 17-06-2018, 01:27.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                        No offence meant - I used the UK criteria because I have more knowledge of our charts (without using search engines) than other countries.

Anyway another one from UK

Patrice Rushen - Forget Me Nots & I Was Tired Of Being Alone

Comment

Sticking with the UK charts (disregarding any backlash) and the 'Top 40' cut-off point, Vanessa Paradis qualifies with Joe le Taxi (1988, #3) and Be My Baby (1992, #6). (Clearly, she had other hits in other markets.)

Notably, in many of these cases, is that there tends to be a significant gap between said pair of hits. (And you heard that right, missus.)

Comment

The late Laura Branigan - there's another: Gloria (1983, UK #6); Self Control (1984, UK #5). (She managed five Top 40 hits in the USA, however.)

Comment

Elguapo4 beat me to Katrina and the Waves. My immediate first thought when I saw the thread.

I'd also offer Republica for Ready To Go and Drop Dead Gorgeous.

Comment

Scatman John. In the UK, 'Scatman' and 'Scatman's World' were both top ten, then nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                                  I'd also offer Republica for Ready To Go and Drop Dead Gorgeous.
                                                  'Fraid not - From Rush Hour with Love also went Top 20 in the autumn of 1998.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X