Camp Covers of Songs that were already Camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camp Covers of Songs that were already Camp

Pet Shop Boys' "Go West" is 'camp' in the sense of having 'knowing', ironic value but so is the original. Any other examples?

Is the Shatner stuff “camp” or just shit?

Mike Flowers turned shit into camp shit. But then I reread the title.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
      Pet Shop Boys' "Go West" is 'camp' in the sense of having 'knowing', ironic value but so is the original.
      I dunno, if anything the Boys' version is more straightforwardly emotional than the original. It is always in their live set and generates a genuinely moving sense of aspiration and community.

Comment

yeah, also I don't know how Camp PSB are. Neil Tennant seems to be far too cool to be properly camp.

Comment

Generally speaking, perhaps, but that moment absolutely was. It was so overblown and ridiculous that I almost liked them for a moment.

One or more of Erasure's Abba covers might well fit here, but I'm not sure I want to revisit them to confirm it.

Comment

Bowies's version of "Let's spend the night together"? Although, if anything, The Stones original was a bit camper.

Comment

Divine's version of Walk Like A Man is certainly campier than the Frankie Valli original, but a bit more 'manly' at the same time.

Comment

Not sure of its campness, but A Camp - a side project of The Cardigans - covered Bowie's 'Boys Keep Swinging'. Hirsute Pursuit also covered it, but that version is incredibly uncamp.

Comment

Working...
                X