Use of "pie" in song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
    Honey Pie on the White Album is the third McCartney pie reference so far.
    and Wild Honey Pie, also on The White Album is the fourth one.

Comment

Up to 27 songs now I think...

https://open.spotify.com/user/q5c5dz...lvQQmmGVih7Fjs

Comment

Oh, great work Kev!

Comment

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds - Where rocking horse people eat marshmallow pies
          Not the least likely item in that particular line. Not going to work in reality, though. Horribly sticky, 2/10.

Comment

I'm hesitant even to submit this, but back in 2001 the then-WWF released one of a series of successful albums collecting its then-current wrestlers' theme songs, WWF The Music, Vol. 5, which inexplicably also included an original song as a sort of 'bonus track'. Said track was credited to The Rock, featuring rapper Slick Ric, and was entitled merely Pie:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKsT7msbuBY

In character, Mr Johnson was known to occasionally espouse his love of "pie", which we could perhaps describe as the distaff equivalent to Rock's own "The People's Strudel". Ahem. 1/10

Comment

Ha, well it's not on Spotify as far as I can see, so it's safe from the playlist at least.

Edit - but yes, I'm sure we all know we're walking along a metaphorical tightrope here, which is fine - the top marks are fully reserved for songs with references to, or glorification of, baked dishes of fruit, meat, fish or vegetables encased in pastry.

I've just heard the version of Anything You Can Do that I added and I'm a bit disappointed in the way the pie is smuggled out - though she does say it very hopefully. 7/10
              Last edited by Kevin S; 09-05-2018, 13:52.

Comment

'Cherry pie' emerges frequently in pop lyrics - from artists as wide-ranging as the Detroit Emeralds (Feel the Need in Me - which also mentions the 'apple' variety) and Eton Crop (Noisy Town).

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                "Look Dean, it's pizza pie because it rhymes with eye. We don't care if nobody says that, you try coming up with rhymes for pizza, OK?"
                When pizza* first became popular in the UK during the early seventies, it was widely called 'pizza pie'. (*By which of course I mean the crappy frozen equivalent.)

Comment

'America' by Paul Simon:

So we bought a pack of cigarettes and Mrs. Wagner's pies
                  Mel Blanc: 'I Taut I Taw A Puddy Tat'

I am a little, tiny, bird. My name is Tweety Pie
                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 09-05-2018, 14:37.

Comment

High Hopes - Frank Sinatra. He had 'high apple pie in the sky hopes"

Comment

And 3.14159 is a Magic Number by De La soul.

Comment

Hair Pie is baked twice on Trout Mask Replica.

Do first lines get much better than "Sugar pie honey bunch, you know that I love you"?

Comment

No, absolutely not.

Custard Pie Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee

Comment

And, of course, there's Sugar Pie Desanto:

Comment

A couple more that are almost certainly euphemistic:

D'Angelo - Devil's Pie
                              Stephen Malkmus - Dragonfly Pie

And an honourable mention for the Weebl and Bob cartoons, where the former will adapt lyrics so that he's singing about wanting some pie.

Comment

REM celebrating the downfall of Mr Richards on their penultimate album :

Mr. Richards, your conviction
                                Had us cheering in the kitchen,
                                Now the jury's eating pigeon pie.

Comment

Pretty sure this was a rejected track from the Happy Mondays' Yes Please!

Comment

Mötley Crüe - Slice Of Your Pie

With all due apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                      Are we unwittingly constructing the background playlist for a new pie shop that you're opening?

Comment

Haha, what a good idea. I think a fair amount of this would make customers run for the hills, mind.

3CR, yes, Weebl and Bob have been in my thoughts today, too. The jazzy song, the J-Lo tribute, the donkey song, the Ladytron tribute... it's a whole other level of pie songs.

Comment

Cherry Pies Ought to Be You by Cole Porter has this great verse:

Columbine ought to be you,
                                          (Sparkling wine ought to be you)
                                          All of Beethoven's Nine ought to be you
                                          (Every Will Shakespeare line ought to be you.)
                                          There are several songs called Sweetie Pie according to a Google search, but none seem worth hearing.
                                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 09-05-2018, 21:34.

Comment

"Dennis! Come back with my apple pie!"

So begins "Youth of Today", the title track of Musical Youth's debut album, and follow up single to "Pass the Dutchie" (which was a Jamaican cooking pot, not a joint, oh no).

I remember this as I later had a dog called Dennis and one of my dodgy acquaintances used to call it out to the dog when he paid a visit to bring round some Jamaican cooking accessories.

Dennis from Musical Youth is now 51.

Comment

"One fuh sah-rowooooo! Two fuh jooooy!"

Comment

"You'll Always Get A Guy With A Pie" - John Cooper Clarke

Comment

Working...
                                                X