Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use of "pie" in song

Oasis - Magic Pie
    I don't think Noel was truly feeling the pie-ness in this effort. I've no idea what he's on about and it sounds like it's there just to rhyme and make an easy song title. 1/10

Eels - A Daisy Through Concrete
    Much better, this one. You don't expect the pie here because it's assonance rather than full rhyme, and being the last word of the verse, E really punches it through and the pie hits you in the face. 8/10

Girls Aloud - Love Machine
    No surprises with this pie (... as easy as ...) but the way it's delivered is top notch. Does the pie get extended with a few extra syllables, or is it the start of the chorus? 7/10

Don McLean - American Pie
    So what's this pie all about then? Does she bake? The song never justifies its pie for me, and then repeats it over and over for the sake of an easy rhyme. Gallagher-esque, but more catchy. 3/10

Irving Berlin - Anything You Can Do (from Annie Get Your Gun)
    Brilliant. Annie goes hitting the big note with a bang - "Can you bake a PIE?" - a little 'no' from Frank and the sad "Neither can I" reply. Of course she's sad; she wants a pie and nether of them has the ability to make one. 10/10
    Last edited by Kevin S; 09-05-2018, 07:55.

Penny Lane
    "Four of fish and finger pies." Not sure a 'finger pie' was referring to a real pie.

Comment

Traditional - Sing a Song of Sixpence
      Look, I've seen blackbirds. And 24 of them would need a bloody big pie, a real table-filler. Still, up to that point, we're ok. But then they sing, so let's assume they're alive - part-baked? Do they fly out so the king has 24 hot blackbirds flapping around? Terrifying image. 6/10

Comment

Pie Jesu
        (I think Holland's discontinued them in the 90s.)

Comment

Charles Mingus - Goodbye Pork Pie Hat. Although it's an instrumental and he doesn't actually use the word.

Comment

Charles Mingus/Joni Mitchell - Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
            The original Mingus word-free version of this is utterly sublime, but unfortunately for this exercise we have to take the one that has pie in the lyrics and not just the title. First verse, Joni claims that Lester Young (about who Mingus wrote the piece) wears a "Porkie Pig Hat", but aside from Loony Tunes nobody even knows what that could possibly be, so she instantly loses 3 marks. In the last verse she finally gets to talking about the titular titfer, even though it just appears as an awning. Today it would be difficult for Joni to get away with these lyrics, but we have give her the same benefit of the doubt that Lou Reed gets for Walk on the Wild Side.
            "So the sidewalk leads us with music
            To two little dancers
            Dancing outside a black bar
            There's a sign up on the awning
            It says "Pork Pie Hat Bar"
            And there's black babies dancing
            Tonight!"

4/10 (11/10 for Mingus's original)

EDIT: Damn, took too long to type and I was beaten to the punch

Comment

"Look Dean, it's pizza pie because it rhymes with eye. We don't care if nobody says that, you try coming up with rhymes for pizza, OK?"

Comment

Warrant - Cherry Pie. Another song that doesn't appear to be talking about a real fruit and pastry pie.

Comment

I don't care much for the Joni Mitchell version, by the way.

Comment

Traditional - Simple Simon
                    The possibility of pie cruelly snatched away from the eponymous hero, by dint of him not having any cash on him. Probably scarred a lot of childhoods, this one, for people called Simon. I definitely remember 'Simple Simon' or 'Simon the Pieman' names being bandied around back at primary school. 5/10

Comment

Prefab Sprout - Blueberry Pies
                      Not so much eating here either, seems to be more Durham rhyming slang for telling porkies.

Natalie Merchant - Calico Pie
                      A complete load of nonsense (via Edward Lear).

See also: Humble Pie

Comment

Not a song, but the US group Mom's Apple Pie is best remembered for its notorious album cover.

Comment

Who ate all the Pies? - Some witty blokes on a terrace.

Definitely about proper food pies. Simple and easy to understand. Has been caaght up in the fat-shaming row and sadly has now been discontinued on Spotify. 7/1-

Comment

It has a wiki page, too, which mentions Shane Warne and Wayne Shaw in close proximity. But not the RL coach Shaun Wane.
                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Ate_All_the_Pies%3F

Comment

Paul McCartney – Flaming Pie
                              Title track of McCartney's well-received 1995 album, harking back to Lennon's facetious 1961 comment about the origin of The Beatles' name: "It came in a vision – a man appeared on a flaming pie and said unto them, 'From this day on you are Beatles with an A.'" In the song, Macca claims to be this man, "shooting stars from a purple sky". He also rhymes the title with "zip my fly", which has to lose marks. 6/10

Per Mr Cogito's comment above, there's also a song on the Flaming Pie album called Calico Skies, coincidentally enough. Probably less coincidental is the Oasis song title mentioned in Kev's OP, which almost certainly nods to this same bit of Beatles lore.

Comment

Check out the ingredients of Bob Dylan's" Country Pie"

"Raspberry, strawberry, lemon and lime
                                What do I care
                                Blueberry, apple, cherry, pumpkin and plum
                                Call me for dinner
                                Honey, I'll be there"

Not sure that I entirely trust his assertion in a later verse that "I won't throw it up in anybody's face"

Comment

Closing lines of the Beta Band's Eclipse, the last track on Hot Shots II :

'Some people with a pizza pie made me very high
                                  The people with the questions smile
                                  And the people with the answers lie
                                  They lie
                                  So no pizza for them'

Comment

Somewhere over the rainbow,
                                    Weigh a pie

Comment

The Monkees too fell into the ridiculous failure of suggesting that a pizza is a pie. And pineapple pie, though perhaps possible, appears improbable

Peter Percival Patterson had a pet pig named Porky
                                      This Pet Pig named Porky loved pie
                                      He loved pizza pie, pumpkin pie, pineapple pie, pizza pie

Comment

Jimmy Cliff knew exactly what he wanted and when

We want our piece of the pie
                                        Right here, right now
                                        We want our piece of the pie
                                        Right here, right now

Comment

Kate Bush - Pi

The lyrics are decent enough for a while, she does drift into reading out barcodes from her Postman Pat VHS collection a couple of times. 3.14/10
                                          Last edited by Auntie Beryl; 09-05-2018, 15:30.

Comment

David Wilcox's Bad Apple
                                            "You need to eat a slice of humble pie, and the longer you wait the worse it's gonna taste."

Comment

The Four Tops' sugar pie was quite possibly not a real pie and would have been extremely unhealthy if it was.

Comment

Honey Pie on the White Album is the third McCartney pie reference so far.

Comment

Custard Pie-Led Zep Side one, track one.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X