Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gibson Firesale Custom

Gibson files for bankruptcy

I'm a Fender man myself, but this is rather depressing. Although I'm sure Gibson is too iconic a manufacturer to disappear.

This is extraordinary. I have a 1911 A type mandolin, and a 1936 banjo whose model I can't remember, and they're beautiful instruments to play. Getting into a mess like this takes some doing.

Comment

I think they diversified into several areas beyond musical instruments.

Comment

Yeah. Bought Philips consumer electronics division after investing heavily in Onkyo and Teac.

Shoulda just kept to making massively overrated and overpriced guitars.

Comment

This is a good example of the mandolin I have. It's a thing of beauty.

Comment

Bloody hell, that must be worth a fair whack.

Hobbes is obviously wrong. Standard issue Gibsons are fairly good value for what they are but they do fucking stupidly expensive special models (as do Fender). Having said that, I have never been enamoured with Les Pauls. I have seen some ridiculously expensive guitars that are nowhere near the build quality of or as good-looking as Gibsons or even lesser guitars like Epiphones or even Ibanezes. That said, I am more than happy with Squiers and Epiphones. However, a fair few guitar collecting colleagues of mine swear by Gibsons or, at least, put them up there with Fenders.
            Last edited by Bored Of Education; 03-05-2018, 17:32.

Comment

That mandolin in the picture sold for €700 so apparently it has barely appreciated in value over 20 years.

Comment

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't like Fenders either.
                That whole cheesy white pickboard thing makes them look so dated and while I'm sure they play alright there are countless cheap Chinese knockoffs that play equally well for a third of the money.
                At least they don't weigh as much as a Les Paul, mind.

Comment

I think my problem with (most) Gibson's is their lack of versatility. A Les Paul is good for hard rock and heavy metal and not much else. And yes, they're too heavy.

Comment

Gibson neck drop is a very real thing.

Comment

Also: pickboard?

No snark, I just don't know what you mean.

Comment

Yeah, I am not a fan of Les Pauls. There aren't many guitars that are particularly versatile. I have a Squier Strat that has a humbucker at the bridge which means I can get a fair range out of it. Apparently, those Yamaha Pacificas are the dogs bollocks for versatility and you can pick up a decent new one for £200. They are the only non Fender/Gibson (or cheaper versions) guitars that I fancied but then I got the Strat for a steal.

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Christ

Otherwise known as a sratch plate or a pick guard.

Sad news. Was never a fan of the Les Paul, for the reasons Stumpy mentioned, but the ES-355 is an iconic instrument that's sounded brilliant almost any time I've heard it played.
                          Ah, right. I thought it was some weird pickguard / fretboard hybrid and got a bit confuzzled. Soz, hobbes.

I too have a Strat with a humbucker at the bridge and with some amp fiddling you can get some convincing rock tones out of it. That said the middle and neck pups are still unmistakably Strat in tone, and a bit thin.

The good thing - in that sense - about an LP is that you get great tone from both pickups, in rhythm and lead positions.

Comment

True but Jimmy Page played a Telecaster on Led Zeppelin I.

Comment

Yeah, sorry all. Pickguard is probably a better name than pickboard. It's just what we used to call it as kids.

With the proviso that it's harder to get lefty guitars and most companies limit what models they do, the best guitars I've ever played have been Jackson and Charvel.
                              The funnest guitar I ever owned was a Hohner G3T which was a copy of a Steinberger. Super light, super responsive and the pickups were amazing. A bit 80s, mind. But I did buy it in the 80s, so that's fine.

Current lecky guitar is a cheap-ass Ibanez which is lots of fun. And a 12 string Tanglewood accoustic which sounds great but is a total cunt to play, even in 6 string mode.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                A bit 80s, mind.
                                a little, aye.

anyway. i always sneered at gibson for having a pricetag way beyond what you get, but last year was offered a custom firebird for an absolutely lunatic knockdown price, and it turns out it is an absolutely delightful musical instrument.

still no time for all this self-tuning guitar type nonsense, but then neither have they anymore by the looks of things.

Comment

@hobbes

Do you have to roll up your jacket sleeves to your elbows before playing that?

Comment

Heathens the lot of yous, hard rock and heavy metal my arse.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                      @hobbes

Do you have to roll up your jacket sleeves to your elbows before playing that?
                                      No. But I do need a headband.
                                      Anyway, if it was good enough for Bowie it's good enough for me

Last edited by hobbes; 04-05-2018, 14:01.

Comment

I love weird guitars. Steinbergers are great, and I've coveted one for years. Ditto the Parker Fly.

I'd settle for a Strandberg these days, though.

Comment

Originally posted by dogbeak View Post
                                          a little, aye.

anyway. i always sneered at gibson for having a pricetag way beyond what you get, but last year was offered a custom firebird for an absolutely lunatic knockdown price, and it turns out it is an absolutely delightful musical instrument.

still no time for all this self-tuning guitar type nonsense, but then neither have they anymore by the looks of things.
                                          Not since the patent action, no.

Comment

Anyway. If we're doing current roster then I have an HSS Strat and Vox amp, and a PRS Alex Lifeson signature acoustic. Neither of which I am remotely good enough for, frankly.

Comment

Working...
                                            X