No announcement yet.

Stuff you don't get.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t get Kendrick Lamar or a lot of contemporary hip-hop. It just seems really slow and hook-less. But so many musicians and critics think it’s the greatest.

This is me, I suppose.

https://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/200...en-to-anymore/

Comment

I liked the Raconteurs second lp at the time, but it does all feel a simulacra of 70s FM rock.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
        This is a brilliant song.

Queen were primarily important in gently convincing a huge swathe of the UK public that not only was there no reason to fear butch gay men, but actually that they really like them.
        I think you're rewriting history there. I remember my mate going to see Queen and him telling me large numbers of people were chucking Bic razors on stage. Claiming Freddie was gay triggered many a playground fight.

Las Palabras de Amor is my underrated Queen song.

Comment

For me, the Queen cut-off is A Night at the Opera. They did some quite good stuff before then.

Originally posted by Serge Gainsbourg View Post
          'Horses' is an amazing album, and 'Dancing Barefoot' is my all-time favourite song.
          I'd like that song a whole lot more were it not for that awful, crow-barred 'like some heroin'-line. Jars with me every time I hear it.

Originally posted by Serge Gainsbourg View Post
          I first got into The Beatles via McCartney's 'Coming Up' single early 1980. I started secondary school in September 1980, and got more into the Beatles after John Lennon's death in December 1980. I left school in the summer of '85, having a reputation of the 'lad who likes the Beatles' and being seen a bit square because of it.
          It wasn't till '96, after I came back from travelling, that old school friends who had seen the 'Anthology' series, were finally saying to me 'oh, I get why you liked them now'.
          Sometimes, its tough for pioneers.
          Love the idea of somebody getting into the biggest band of all time ten years after they split considering himself a 'pioneer'! (I know, I know...)

Comment

On sort of topic.

I never "got" The Wildhearts. I love Terrorvision* and there was a lot of crossover in fandom between the two bands. "How can you love one but not the other?" was often asked of me But every time I picked a Wildhearts song at random I failed to see what the point was. They just seemed a good t-shirt band.

There was a gig the other week, The Wildhearts, Reef, Terrorvision. Rotating headliners, Wildhearts on first, TV on last. And they wandered on stage, the other guitarist wearing a pork pie hat and it clicked. It's punk circa 1977 and a bit of 1983 ska and played live is tight as hell. It takes some going to make Terrorvision seem complicated, but the Wildhearts managed it.

So yeah, I now get The Wildhearts. Not going to rush out and buy everything but they now make it to a Spotify playlist or two.

*So sue me

Comment

The Rome LP is probably the Jack White album for people who don't like Jack White.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                I don’t get Kendrick Lamar or a lot of contemporary hip-hop. It just seems really slow and hook-less. But so many musicians and critics think it’s the greatest.

This is me, I suppose.

https://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/200...en-to-anymore/
                I took myself on a tour of some contemporary hip hop - the weird kind, like Odd Future, Danny Brown, and that. I liked it.

Then I realised why I liked it is that it’s pretty much The Pharcyde. Which isn’t a bad thing.

Comment

I push myself to listen to hip hop because I realize I'm missing out if I don't. The neat side-effect is that, during some random dinner-chatter, my kids will go "Did you know Post Malone has a new tape out?" and I'll go "Beerbongs and Bentleys...it's solid. Nicki Minaj is on a track..." and keep eating as if of course I know that.

Comment

Good to be welcomed back Amor, WOM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                      I liked the Raconteurs second lp at the time, but it does all feel a simulacra of 70s FM rock.
                      I'd have put at least as much (if not more) 60s garage rock influence in there because Jack White is Jack White and can't help himself.
                      Mind you, it depends on your definition of 70s FM rock. That just makes me think of the likes of The Eagles and Boston.

Comment

Working...
                      X