Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So... Drab Majesty, then (and the Goth / Wave songs they're the legacy of)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So... Drab Majesty, then (and the Goth / Wave songs they're the legacy of)

As you know, I'm only an occasional visitor in these parts, nowadays. Thus, forgive me if this is a topic that's been covered at some length elsewhere, but...

Drab Majesty

Just the name was enough to put me off, frankly. Then I heard snippets of their tracks and saw what they looked like. I thought "Nah! They're just taking the piss, and exploiting gullible fellow Millennials by regurgitating stuff from their parents' mixtapes while they're at it!"

Basically...

WRONNNGGG!!!

With this new album of theirs, they've seemingly come of age. It has at least 3 absolutely fantastic tracks on it and is pretty solid throughout, I have to say. I was listening to it in the car on the way to and from work, today, and at points it is so good that I was actually laughing and punching the steering wheel! It's achieved the remarkable feat of - essentially - getting me excited about Goth again!

And here it is.

Head straight for tracks 7, 6 and 4 - in that order, probably - if you want the abridged version.

Frankly, even though they're pretty much a knowing homage, they're so fucking good at it, I don't care! I'm (hopefully) going to see them, a week on Monday, even. (What kind of a day is Monday to be having a London gig? I don't care if you *are* from L.A. - your jetlag can't be *that* bad!)

So, anyway... It's time to 'get your Goth' on! What are the Goth / Cold Wave (if you're from Europe) / New Wave tracks that are in the spirit of Drab Majesty (i.e. lots of reverbed guitar and gated drums) that you love and would even possibly offer up as influences on these (gloriously) precocious upstarts?
    Last edited by evilC; 02-02-2018, 20:08.

Personally, I'd say that Asylum Party (from France) - whon I have a particular soft spot for - must be one of their biggest sonic influences:

'Julia'

'Love Or Madness'

However, I'd also like to tip a hat towards forgotten miserabilists The Lucy Show, who themselves pretty much had a boner for The Cure:

'White Space'

'Ephemeral (This Is No Heaven)'

Being Statesiders, they have to have heard Modern English and This Mortal Coil, surely? :

'Gathering Dust'

And - on 'Not Just A Name' the influence of Cocteau Twins seems to loom large as well:

'Sigh's Smell Of Farewell'
    Last edited by evilC; 02-02-2018, 20:09.

Comment

Never mind this shit, Clive, more posting pls. I've put beak on warning and now I've put you on warning too. Sort it. <winkything>

Comment

Working...
      X