No announcement yet.

The Big Gig Thread 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry backatcha, and thanks. It’s just happened a lot on here and is hurtful.

Ladytron were worth the journey tonight. I saw that Benjm (*CLANG*) from OTF from a distance.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
      I had a chat with Terry Hall late last year and he was perfectly lucid and charming. We have a mutual friend (Siobhan Fahey) so we talked about her and their work together (he sang on her album a few years ago) and he was looking forward to seeing Bananarama.

He’s had long-term problems with depression, but I wouldn’t say he’s losing it. Maybe he acts “weird” when he feels anxious, many people do. He moved to the country because he couldn’t cope with city life.
      Terry is my mate's dad. I went to the football with him a bit ago and he was fine.

Comment

Ladytron were worth the journey tonight. I saw that Benjm (*CLANG*) from OTF from a distance.
        Heh, the prospect of a mini 'Tron 'thon was scuppered by my failure to check my phone. As at DAF, there weren't too many other people wearing red jackets, or even desert boots. Ladytron were great and not overwhelmed by the space; by contrast it felt like support Stealing Sheep were having a private event in the corner of the room.

As I wanted to get home on the Overground, I had to leave before the encore of Seventeen and Destroy Everything You Touch (based on Glasgow). This shouldn't have been necessary, with doors at seven and one support band.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
          Ladytron were brilliant last night in Glasgow. Great set, not too heavy on the unreleased new album, bright and hypnotic visuals, the band looking relaxed and happy. Usually you expect pop stars to become more ordinary looking as they approach their forties. Helen Marnie seems to be going the other way, resembling an alien from a cool '60s sci-fi film more than ever.

Hoping to catch them again at the Roundhouse tomorrow. There's a glass of something effervescent on the bar for top OTFer and general good egg MsD should she want one.
          I was also at this, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Awkward moments at the start when after the rousing welcome and 'it's good to be back!' a keyboard failed and the start was delayed slightly, but they recovered quickly.

Parking round the QMU is a nightmare at weekends, I'm going again in a couple of weeks (Metric) but on a Sunday so hopefully it'll be a bit easier than a Friday or Saturday. It's come to this, judging gigs by how easy it is to park close by.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
            Awkward moments at the start when after the rousing welcome and 'it's good to be back!' a keyboard failed and the start was delayed slightly, but they recovered quickly.
            That was slightly worrying but didn't escalate into true Curse Of Ladytron territory. I went to see them at the Astoria ten or so years ago and the power failed and couldn't be recovered so the show had to be restaged a few months later. Naturally it was the one that they were recording for a live release.

Did you see the support, Bossy Love, WFG? I really enjoyed their set and a previous turn supporting Charlotte Church, whereas on paper wouldn't expect it to be my thing at all.

Comment

Did you see the support, Bossy Love, WFG? I really enjoyed their set and a previous turn supporting Charlotte Church, whereas on paper wouldn't expect it to be my thing at all.
              I caught most of their set and didn't realise that's who it was - now that you've said that I realise I've seen them before supporting Arab Strap. I did text my son afterwards to tell him I'd seen a support band do a cover of Blu Cantrell's Breathe and pretty much pull it off - I was quite impressed with that, as was he, from afar.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                ...I realise I've seen them before supporting Arab Strap.
                That sounds like a great pairing. Aidan Moffat's much more into commercial pop than a cursory look at his own work might suggest, isn't he?

Comment

That sounds like a great pairing. Aidan Moffat's much more into commercial pop than a cursory look at his own work might suggest, isn't he?
                  If The First Big Weekend is to be taken literally he was certainly partial to a bit of rave. He seems generally more upbeat than his music suggests, from my limited experience of seeing him away from his own shows (namely when, dressed as Santa, he introduced Mogwai onto the stage at their big Xmas show last year, and then stood chatting to punters outside the gents later on).

Comment

I did have a ticket for Ladytron at Roundhouse but had to give it up - would have had to drive to and from Nottingham on the night. Gutted.

Did see Killing Joke, with a childhood friend I hadn't seen for 20+ years, at Rock City on Friday night. Jaz looked a lot older and was less energetic than previous tours, but I guess that's to be expected. My only real complaint is that, as usual, it wasn't loud enough.

Comment

Ladytron looked like they were enjoying it, KJR, so hopefully another opportunity will present itself.

I've got KJ in two weeks with, in a similar vein, three friends of 30 odd years standing who it is very difficult to get in one place these days.

Comment

I had a chat with Terry Hall late last year and he was perfectly lucid and charming. We have a mutual friend (Siobhan Fahey) so we talked about her and their work together (he sang on her album a few years ago) and he was looking forward to seeing Bananarama.

He’s had long-term problems with depression, but I wouldn’t say he’s losing it. Maybe he acts “weird” when he feels anxious, many people do. He moved to the country because he couldn’t cope with city life.
                        Apologies if I have upset anyone, I was just relaying the chat I had with Dave Wakeling in Chicago, no intent to disrespect Terry Hall (someone I have always held in high regard). I certainly don't think Dave was calling him 'weird'; I obviously didn't convey it very well in my wording. I felt Dave had a lot of time and respect for Terry, was genuinely pleased to meet up with him in the US, and mentioned he was a 'little off colour' perhaps. Anxiety could well have been the issue. Again, sorry if I portrayed Dave as the bad guy, blame my poor writing skills...

Comment

Sorry for making everyone feel bad.

I just thought Dave W was misunderstanding TH’s demeanour. I have panic attacks occasionally and my behaviour probably looks weird as f. Pacing, rubbing my head etc.

Your writing skills are fine.

Comment

Despite eschewing loud musical performances nowadays (painful ringing for days after, sorry), I realise I've been to the Sage again twice since Grandmaster Flash: Tom Robinson and Friends doing Power in the Darkness and Roddy Frame with his guitar. both great nights in their own ways.

TR was very witty and updated the lyrics to some of the songs in clever ways. Also made me realise how much i was part of a chunk of my generation in learning loads about politics through being a punk then a TRB fan: the volume of shouting along to every word of the lyrics indicated how formative the experience was, so i wished I'd prepared a questionnaire: 'what became of the people we used to be?'

Roddy is much less cocky a showman (but boy could he play guitar) and the spread of lovely moments across his career makes him a treasure. Losing his hair now (unlike much older Tom), bless.

Oh and TR DID make the obvious but funny joke of hoping that no-one had come to the wrong Tom(my) Robinson gig. (I believe that was also a cartoon in Private Eye, but I couldn't find it...)

A point about value for money, cf football: The Sage is a great venue, easy to get to, great acoustics, Ok bars. Neither of those gigs cost me more than a 3rd or 4th Div match ticket...

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                              A point about value for money, cf football: The Sage is a great venue, easy to get to, great acoustics, Ok bars. Neither of those gigs cost me more than a 3rd or 4th Div match ticket...
                              I haven't been to a game yet this season and the unfavourable comparison with concert ticket prices always springs into my mind when I half heartedly look at the weekend's fixtures with a view to going along.

Based on warm recommendations here and elsewhere, I've booked to see Idles next year. As the London dates are at the horrible Electric Ballroom, I opted for Brighton and an overnight trip. It's on March 29, so there are probably worse ways to spend the last few hours of being an EU citizen.

New Order on Friday, a month shy of 30 years since I first saw them at the G-Mex with ACR and the Mondays. They've been on something of a roll for the last few years, so even the prospect of trekking out to Alexandra Palace isn't dampening the anticipation.

Comment

Off to see Teenage Fanclub play Bandwagonesque and Thirteen tonight. The latter is my favourite album of theirs, but their least favourite, so I'm sure we'll have a WONDERFUL time!

Comment

Next week I'm going to see an up-and-coming popular music combo from Sheffield, England, called The Human League.

Comment

I last saw them two years ago, imp, and they're still fantastic. They always have great visuals too.

Comment

Phil Oakey is a much underestimated figure in pop, imo.

Comment

New Order tonight just up the road at Ally Pally. Bit annoyed that it clashes with Haringey Borough v Wimbledon.

Edit: Decided to flog my ticket and watch Boro instead.
                                        Last edited by RobW; 09-11-2018, 19:49.

Comment

Phil Oakey is a much underestimated figure in pop, imo.
                                          Agree. There was a bit of “he’s the lightweight who wears make-up and plays with girls, the ones who left were the serious ones” type snobbery around him. I love H17 but PO wrote brilliant songs and has a strong voice.

Comment

Saw H17 on the opening night of their tour in Northampton tonight, the, um, 35th anniversary of The Luxury Gap. They were great, aided by the fact it’s got some fantastic songs (Crushed By The Wheels Of Industry, Let Me Go and of course Temptation, among others), Glenn Gregory has a tremendous voice and Martyn Ware’s arrangements keep everything fresh and punchy. The set featured a bunch of Ware’s early period Human League tracks and a cover of Let’s Dance.

Support was from xPropaganda, aka Susanne Freytag and Claudia Brucken with three blokes. They played most of A Secret Wish and the arrangements were basically as per the originals. Claudia still is a great singer and they all seemed to have a fine old time.

Comment

OTF Oakey Crew's gonna come and duff you up, Furtho.

Did you have company for the H17 show, by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                                                Edit: Decided to flog my ticket and watch Boro instead.
                                                You madman! Who won?

Comment

OTF Oakey Crew's gonna come and duff you up, Furtho.

Did you have company for the H17 show, by any chance?
                                                  I love both H17 and The Human League, Benjm, and so would aim to plot a conciliatory course between any warring factions.

Re: company, no (tickets bought a while back), but recent events do include a great deal of texting (both Mmm, I Really Like You and Mmmmm, Saucy) and a restaurant table being booked for Saturday evening. No specific plans for Sunday other than doing fun stuff together...

Comment

Nothing to fear from asymmetrically fringed bovver gangs, Furtho; the rain and long journey back from Wood Green may have been affecting my mental processes by that point.

Have a great weekend!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X