Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KGR View Post
    One year ago.

I'll be playing Fall music as much as I can today, wfh.
    And me...

Comment

One year already? Not even possible.

Comment

You're living too late.

Comment

Clear Off! It's immortality...

Comment

Copped it.

Comment

I'd forgotten he'd died :/

Comment

I'm quite tempted by the forthcoming reissue of Bend Sinister (link below). On the down side, it looks like a fair amount of the extra material will duplicate the 458489 sets (and the singles themselves) and the Peel Sessions box. On the upside, it is my favourite Fall album and I'd love to hear it with a bit more aural poke as well any odds and ends.The 'Domesday' Pay-Off Triad always sounded super cool as a concept too. £20 for a double CD is just about reasonable, by Roxy Music standards anyway. I'm telling myself.

We are the catalogue and archive department for past and present Beggars Group labels & artists. We care passionately about sound quality, quality re-issues, artwork and when we can manage it….very fancy packaging.

Comment

I believe it was none other than Mark E himself who pronounced re-mastered re-issues as a waste of money. Words to the effect of: "It just means some idiot who doesn't know what he's doing fucked around with the original tapes and made them sound worse."

Comment

Playing the current version of the album at a higher volume is the other option, of course.

This may just be displaced pointless nerd acquisitiveness, after the New Order Movement box set was laughed off the wants list for a risible cost/content imbalance.

Comment

Paul Hanley's book about Hex Enduction Hour arrived yesterday. It's a great read.

Comment

I figured I'd start with the Fall completists on this list before messing around with doing my own comparisons on Discogs. Is this box set offering anything new that couldn't be pieced together already? [I already have the Peel Sessions box set so all of these releases adding Peel sessions never entice me but other stuff that hasn't been released on CD or sounds like garbage on CD and might be improved--while appreciating imp's point above] could be interesting.

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...82-6cd-boxset/

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                          I figured I'd start with the Fall completists on this list before messing around with doing my own comparisons on Discogs. Is this box set offering anything new that couldn't be pieced together already? [I already have the Peel Sessions box set so all of these releases adding Peel sessions never entice me but other stuff that hasn't been released on CD or sounds like garbage on CD and might be improved--while appreciating imp's point above] could be interesting.

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...82-6cd-boxset/
                          This thread on The Fall Online pretty much sums up my own views on this re-release:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/thef...19-t43532.html

If you have the LPs already, there's nowt new.

On the other hand, the reissue of Bend Sinister is pretty nice and worth getting if you don't have it, as the sometimes muddy sound of the orginal release has been cleared up and there are some extra (if sometimes inessential) bonus rough mixes of the songs):

https://archive.beggars.com/fall-the-bend-sinister/

Since MES died there's been even more dodgy live albums released then ever but unless you're a real completionist steer clear. I have most of these shows in bootleg version and have no intention of forking out cash I don't have for maybe only minimal sound improvements. Some examples here:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Fall-Set...lease/12966146

What would really be nice would be a comprehensive release of all the non-Peel session tracks, some of which have apppeared as bonus tracks on reissued albums but there are others as yet unavailable officially, Some nice bod has, in any case, uploaded all the non-Peel radio songs to Youtube:

Comment

Thanks, Sporting. I need to look back through my CDs. I know I have Bend Sinister but can't remember if that's on CD or LP (if LP then it's been in Los Angeles for a couple decades and not with me). I don't think I have Hex so this box set probably would be good for me but I would need to dig through Discogs and see if there are other issues that have other stuff (or more stuff).

Comment

Hex you must get and I do again recommend the Paul Hanley book I mentioned a couple of posts ago.

Comment

Yeah, I need that one and Grotesque. I think I have a lot on vinyl but not with me so I need to pick up the various deluxe CDs of the Rough Trade records. I have most of the Beggars stuff on CD.

Comment

https://stillunusual.tumblr.com/post...c-daze-fanzine

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stillunusual/17457141533

Comment

I can't remember if this is the book that was discussed as ripping off a lot of the work done Fall fans. If not, here's another recent publication:

https://www.faber.co.uk/blog/excavat...d-of-the-fall/

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                                      I can't remember if this is the book that was discussed as ripping off a lot of the work done Fall fans. If not, here's another recent publication:

https://www.faber.co.uk/blog/excavat...d-of-the-fall/
                                      No, that was another tome. The one you link to is much better and with original ideas.

Comment

Excavate is a decent effort. Bob Stanley's involvement in a project usually guarantees reasonable quality control.

I bought this, but haven't read it yet. It's an unfilmed screenplay for a horror film that MES wrote in collaboration with the other author.

In other news, his house is on the market. The listing has been amended since drawing some attention over the last few days but is still viewable at time of posting. The house looks a bit sad but I know from personal experience that illness and death exact a toll upon houses as well as their inhabitants.

Last edited by Benjm; 02-07-2021, 11:41. Reason: Link removed, in light of discussion below.

Comment

Yeah those two books above look good!

The listing of his house online I don't feel should be that big a deal. It's sad, it's shabby, but it was someone's house, and I'm not sure there is much public interest in us looking at a couple of piles of books and the disrepair of the place.

Comment

His semi detached house in Prestwich was up for sale on rightmove last week but has been removed by the estate agent. Looked a rightmess. Like a hoarders house that’d been burgled and any decent stuff taken. I hope he hadn’t been living like that.

Comment

A relevant thread from elsewhere:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/thef...se-t43948.html

Statement from his last partner:

"Just wanna clear a few things up cuz people have been messaging me today about Mark's house in Prestwich going up for sale. I don't need to read it in the news cuz I'm right in the middle of it all, the death aftermath... all these years later (it's complicated) so wanna just try to explain this a lil RE: the news stories and some fans being sad about the sale of Mark's house... guess what? It's no-ones else's fucking business, that's what. The house was left to Mark's three sisters and what they choose to do with it is THEIR decision only. Please respect what they want, their wishes and Mark's wishes. And lemme tell ya something, Mark was long DONE with that house. It was in a total state w/no working kitchen and many other major problems, the place was falling apart and Mark himself named it the 'House of Doom'... that's why we moved out, hence 'Second House Now' on the New Facts Emerge album. I'm honestly so glad he didn't have to die in that shit-hole of a house with all the mold & decay & depression, he passed in peace somewhere clean and warm and where he felt safe & free, with me. I appreciate the history there, I get it, but it's Mark's families decision and that HAS to be respected.

We've all been through enough, just let it go. Ironically, as all this was going down today, I happened to be going through some of Mark's things so here's a few pictures... please understand that Mark's stuff is right here with me safe & sound and the rest is with his family and NOT in his old dank house somewhere rotting. Not that he even had much stuff, quite honestly. Bits and pieces. It's crazy that so many people assume they know things about people, when really they know nothing. I'm a fan of many people, but I wouldn't get involved if they died and their house was sold. I mean, who does that? I'm actually trying to move on with my life a bit and it's wild how things can come up and drag ya back to the past. But all I can do is tell people some small truths, and show some pretty cool pictures. What-cha-gonna-do."

Comment

That's a shame that she had to write that.

That stuff was shared too readily online I think.

Comment

I was interested to see inside the house having read so much about it over the years but can't claim any more elevated motivation beyond idle curiosity. Certainly nothing to justify causing pain to those close to him.

Some reluctance just to take as read that a '30s semi will look like a '30s semi, or a basement bar with dodgy carpets like a basement bar with dodgy carpets and so on, may be a side effect of the way that certain locations take on an almost mythical status over time.

Comment

Oh, I had a look for sure, but I didn't share it around myself.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X