No announcement yet.

Chart Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with you on Mk 1 Bee Gees, there, and was outraged at their shoddy treatment until I thought about it, but I'm very much a Mk. 0 man, when they were still in Australia. I love that stuff.
    Last edited by Alderman Barnes; 11-09-2019, 20:09.

Comment

I think we can agree with them that the Stevie song was on a different level to everything else on the show, but I feel it's a stretch to say Stevie 1968-1969 is on a par with 1971-76. His late 60s work is enjoyable partly because it's less familiar (at least to me) but if you could only keep one period, this isn't it, surely? It's produced by a team of writers rather than being Stevie's most personal and individual work.
      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 12-09-2019, 01:34.

Comment

I can never listen to Seasons in the Sun without being reminded of the football chant "We had joy, we had fun, we had [scousers] on the run, but the joy did not last cos the bastards ran too fast".

Is this still sung?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
          I can never listen to Seasons in the Sun without being reminded of the football chant "We had joy, we had fun, we had [scousers] on the run, but the joy did not last cos the bastards ran too fast".

Is this still sung?
          Still hear it occasionally, and its festive companion piece "Hark now hear".

Most of those singing it would have little clue of the original song, much like 'Son of My Father', 'Sloop John B', 'Tom Hark', and 'Pigbag', and probably few of them would have known 'Free From Desire' before it was adapted.

Comment

Add ‘Hello! Hello! (Arsenal) reject! (Arsenal) reject!’ to the above list.

(Gary Glitter, obvs.)

Comment

How about chants to the tune of The Mighty Quinn (maybe invented by Liverpool fans for E. Hughes)?

Comment

Is this still sung?
                For me it'll always be:-

We had joy, we had fun
                Flicking bogies at the sun
                But the sun got too hot
                So the bogies turned to snot

Comment

Circa 1973:

Georgie Best, superstar
                  Wears frilly* knickers and he wears a bra

*We sang it as "funny knickers" due to mishearing. And we had no idea this was from a musical about Jesus

Comment

At the time it was (what I heard) "...walks like a woman and he wears a bra".

Comment

Jesus Christ,
                      Superstar
                      Shot round the corner on his Yamaha
                      Did a skid,
                      Killed a kid
                      Paralysed his bollocks on a dustbin lid

Comment

Is tom hark the most famous black south african piece of music that isn't the Lion sleeps tonight? Anyone who has ever heard tom Hark once, knows the melody.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

Still hear it occasionally, and its festive companion piece "Hark now hear".

Most of those singing it would have little clue of the original song, much like 'Son of My Father', 'Sloop John B', 'Tom Hark', and 'Pigbag', and probably few of them would have known 'Free From Desire' before it was adapted.
                          I submit that very few people even here know the original "Son Of My Father". A German song by Michael Holm. And if you are about to object that you mean the English version, it's by Giorgio (Moroder), who wrote it with Holm.

Comment

i've never heard that son of my father song before. who uses that in chants?

Comment

Liverpool had a Sami Hyppia song to that tune.

Comment

"Son Of My Father" was a Lancashire cricket fans favourite

"Ooh, Lancy, Lancy; Lancy Lancy Lancy Lancy Lancashire."

And the Banana Splits song:

"La la la...Lancashire."

Confirmed in Martin Kelner's 'Sit Down In Cheer'.

Comment

Yorkshire fans also liked to sing the "Lancy, Lancy, Lancy, Lancy Lancashire" song, with a subtle replacement of the L with a W.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                    i've never heard that son of my father song before. who uses that in chants?
                                    "oh, Teddy Teddy
                                    Teddy Teddy Teddy Teddy Sheringham"

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post

I submit that very few people even here know the original "Son Of My Father". A German song by Michael Holm. And if you are about to object that you mean the English version, it's by Giorgio (Moroder), who wrote it with Holm.
                                      That was news to me at least.

Comment

Son of My Father only suits players with five-syllable names. So Frankie Worthington and Teddy Sheringham basically.

I was also surprised that the 60s-era Bee Gees got such a kicking. I'm quite fond of the yellow Best of LP. Odessa too. I like the disco period too.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                          Son of My Father only suits players with five-syllable names. So Frankie Worthington and Teddy Sheringham basically.
                                          Or three syllables. Like Joey Jones.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post

For me it'll always be:-

We had joy, we had fun
                                            Flicking bogies at the sun
                                            But the sun got too hot
                                            So the bogies turned to snot

There was also:

We had joy, we had fun
                                            We had Shirley Bassey's bum
                                            But the things we liked best
                                            Were the big things on her chest

Comment

Retro applause for CM #42 - TotP 27th August 1981. Excellent contributions from all. Probably my favourite so far, possibly because it's 'my' musical era.

Comment

How about chants to the tune of The Mighty Quinn (maybe invented by Liverpool fans for E. Hughes)?
                                                "You ain't seen nothing like the Mighty String" (Mike Stringfellow), so that was adapted pretty much straight away, though I've no idea whether Leicester fans originated it or heard it for a different player.

Comment

We had that song as pre-match music when John Quinn played for us in the late-sixties/early seventies and again when we had Steven Quinn playing for us (briefly) in the mid-noughties, but never when Emlyn was our player-manager...

Comment

I'm only part way through this, but I always had a soft spot for Never Ending Story. Not happy with the negativity

Comment

Working...
                                                    X