No announcement yet.

Chart Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm catching up still with the Christmas 1976 episode, which is one of the best yet, with several laugh-out-loud moments. Except Taylor on ABBA... On "Dancing Queen", Simon says that the women must be in their late 20s. "Naw, older," Taylor growls with authority, but only half-correctly. In 1976, Agnetha was 26; Frida was 30.

Later, the tax write-off for the costumes... Well, firstly, if tax write-offs are legal, then what's the problem. It's it like they write off Armani suits for their leisure under the guise of a business expense. One could also read Benny Anderson's comment as, "We'd not have spent as much on our stage costumers if they hadn't been tax deductible". And as the four members did not put their income in a tax haven but deliberately kept it in Sweden, so as to support the fiscus -- also, as per Benny Anderson -- it seems that ABBA are more social-minded and more ethical than many pop stars.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
      Sutherland is now editor of trade rag Music Week, his editorials usually parroting the party line of the major labels to an obvious degree.
      his twitter feed is just grey awful bollocks too. He's still trying that down with ver kids shit.

Comment

I hope people have told him about this podcast episode.

Comment

Wonder if Michael Bonner listened? And if he's still in luuurve with yer one. He must have been some unmemorable hack, his name is a blank for me even if I can't shake the turgid plod of Ian Gittin's prose.
          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 26-02-2019, 19:28.

Comment

Less a TOTP review, more a therapy session. But none the worse for it.

Also Sarah Bee's impressions are great.

Comment

Her Ronan is fuckin beautiful

Comment

Next episode on Tuesday for $5 subscribers (Wednesday generally)

Comment

Hooray!

I found the first episode of The Roxy on youtube today. I wonder if Chart Music fancy branching out from Top of the Pops and having a go at discussing it.

Comment

Pricey and Taylor. 1971. Pretty damn good so far

Comment

Very enjoyable episode - I do think Pricey and Taylor are the best combination (which is not to say the others are poor in any way). Both extremely knowledgeable and more than capable of disagreeing with each other without being rude.

Comment

This is sad (he's not dead):

Former boyband frontman threatened to self-harm during live stream from his home in Walthamstow

Comment

Double Barrel is one of the greatest things ever put to record.

version 2 but, that's where the genius lies.
                          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 23-03-2019, 01:55.

Comment

I was a bit rattled by Taylor's attitude towards the alleged victims of Michael Jackson's abuse in the Return To Neverland docu, which sounded to me like the sort of stuff a bishop in the Catholic Church might have said 15-20 years ago. "We know that the perp is a nonce, but can we really believe these complainants? No court has convicted the nonce, so even as we know he's a nonce, we'll regard him as innocent of all allegations." The comment about the incidental music served to undermine what I thought were plausible testimonies; at the very least, it was disrespectful to the courage these men showed in going public with their abuse. Taylor's disclaimer that our default position is to believe the accusers sounded mealy-mouthed in the context of what else he said.

The suggestion that Return To Neverland told us nothing new was surprising. We indeed knew that MJ was an alleged abuser of young teenagers, but we did not know that he allegedly sexually abused a seven-year-old (and not just fondling but by oral penetration), nor did we know the techniques by which he groomed these boys (and their parents). What was devastating about the docu was not the notion that MJ was a child molester, but the details of the alleged abuse.
                            Last edited by G-Man; 27-03-2019, 05:20.

Comment

I'm not even sure that Taylor watched the documentary that closely, which makes me angry that they would discuss something so important without doing their homework on it.

Comment

Next one is up. And it's a mammoth 4hrs 45.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                                  Hooray!

I found the first episode of The Roxy on youtube today. I wonder if Chart Music fancy branching out from Top of the Pops and having a go at discussing it.
                                  There was a question along these lines when they did the Q&A podcast - I think it gave Soul Train and the US TOTP as examples but I did think at the time they should have a go at The Roxy for a rich seam of 80s twattery, ITV flavoured in this case. I remember watching that first episode - think Erasure opened it and that Broken English song was on (the one that's in the charts on the current run of 1987 TOTPs I'm ploughing through at the moment).

Comment

Almost caught up with these... up to #33. I get G-Man's uneasiness with TP's comments on Jacko, but overall, he's my absolute favourite contributor to this podcast. Grumpy bastard but some of his contributions have me laughing out loud.

Comment

They really don't like Toyah.

Comment

Slight sense in the latest episode that access to a range of opinions might make for a richer and certainly more inclusive listen. I'm no fan of Toyah, for instance, but three blokes going on and on and on and on about how shit she was makes me feel uneasy.

Comment

There's an inherent sexism in the non-Sarah episodes. A man who was as fake as Toyah would not get the same language thrown at him.

Comment

And Taylor is def the worst offender.

Toyah does seem shit and shallow and a NIMBY racist nowadays by all accounts, but posh wankers being wankers has been a thing in pop culture forever. Damon Albarn in the nineties was a hideous bastard. Maybe Neil would attack him with maximum righteous venom but I doubt Taylor would.

Comment

Nah I'm not having that. They spent nearly an entire hour talking about the horrendous but strangely popular and normalized hyper-toxic masculinity of DLT. They even bought a book that somehow got published.

Perhaps the reason that Toyah gets all that abuse is that she got to make an hour long tv documentary about how terrible she is. before she had even had a record in the charts. That's a lot of what they are talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdDmjEMQ8rk&list=PLS6eS2M7j6AAOWVFZJ1B G0ZeQC_JaX8CV&index=52]There's a clip of the documentary in this bizarre panel show. [/url] It's terrifying. I can't imagine what an hour like that is like, even if this clip is unrepresentative, and she's lovely for the rest of it, The person in that clip is a straight up monster. (The rest of that panel discussion is very funny. Is that what television used to be like? jesus it's bizarre, why are they calling a woman in her twenties, a girl?) Also in fairness, she is offensively bad. That song she does on the show is extraordinary. I mean...... jesus wept. "I'm going to turn suburbia upside down."

I'd consider them fairly even handed in their playing of the man and not the ball (the ball was there, I think).

Comment

When Toyah made that pre-success doc, people - well, the minority aware of her - weren't thinking that she was terrible. She was generally getting decent reviews in the press and folk (for whatever reason) even liked her performance cameo on Shoestring.

Regular chart occupancy, plus the ridiculous amount of TV she was doing around 1981-82 exposed her obvious limitations to a wider audience.

But agreed, I Want to Be Free was probably the moment that those scales fell away.

Comment

There was an episode of TOTP a couple of years back on BBC4 with both Toyah and Siouxsie And The Banshees on. Compare and contrast...

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                                    And Taylor is def the worst offender.

Damon Albarn in the nineties was a hideous bastard. Maybe Neil would attack him with maximum righteous venom but I doubt Taylor would.
                                                    Albarn doesn't get off scot free in this piece on Parklife - https://thequietus.com/articles/1509...versary-review - although I'd agree the ball gets played more than the man.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X