• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Band Members with Least Musical Talent

Stu Sutcliffe

Linda McCartney

Sid Vicious

Bez

Note that Yoko Ono was a decent pianist, and Lennon wrote Because after hearing her play some Beethoven and deciding to reverse the melody

Andrew Ridgley

Her out of Deacon Blue

Comment

Variations on a theme:

Bobby Farrell

Fabrice Morvan

Rob Pilatus

Comment

Yep, it gets a bit muddy down that route. I once worked with Brian McFadden out of Westlife and he told me - around three number ones into their career - that he'd never actually sung a note.

Mr C out of The Shamen

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: Andrew Ridgley
          Does Son of Albert mean nothing to you?

Comment

I believe Peter "Hooky" Hook had little time for the keyboard player in New Order. Or am I mixing him and her up with the bassist in Talking Heads?

As a Metallica fan of a quarter of a century, even I admit that Lars Ulrich can't play the drums. He can hit drums perfectly well, but I've never been convinced that he can play them.

Comment

Snake Plissken wrote: I believe Peter "Hooky" Hook had little time for the keyboard player in New Order. Or am I mixing him and her up with the bassist in Talking Heads?
              Hook has said some very dismissive things about Gillian's contribution, but he's been extremely rude about all of the remaining members since he flounced out. If the recent NO Presents Be Music compilation of their outside production work is any guide, you could just as easily make a case for him being the weak link. He's a prick, basically.

Comment

David Knopfler

The Ones in "Tight Fit" who appeared on television as opposed to the record(s)

The remaining 3% of the original line-up of The Thompson Twins

The Frantic Elevators' lead singer (whatever happened to him?)

Comment

Satchmo Distel wrote: Linda McCartney
                  Definitely this. I remember seeing a clip from a Wings concert on TV Offal where the sound engineer from that gig had isolated the audio from her mic. Calling it "caterwauling" would be extremely kind.

Comment

I was always told that Adam Clayton couldn't play the bass.

Comment

I seem to recall, donkey's years ago, Drummie Zeb narrowing beating Paul Rutherford to the title of "Musician Least Likely To Have A Solo Career".

The former did, not that it made much of an impression on the world of popular music.

Comment

Antepli Ejderha wrote: I was always told that Adam Clayton couldn't play the bass.
                        And surely those stories of a supplemental lead guitarist under the stage at U2 gigs were just baloney.

Also: Steve Norman of Spandau Ballet
                        Andy Fletcher of Depeche Mode
                        Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Comment

Richey Edwards of the Manics although I certainly saw some gigs where you could hear his guitar.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: Andrew Ridgley

Her out of Deacon Blue
                            Lorraine McIntosh has a good voice, particularly on 'Real Gone Kid.'

Comment

Satchmo Distel wrote: Stu Sutcliffe
                              History has been somewhat kinder to Stuart Sutcliffe these last few years. Both Paul McCartney and Pete Best have said that he was a competent bass player, and Bill Smith, Nigel Whalley and Ivan Vaughan were just 'tea-chest' bass players and Pete Shotton was just the washboard player.

Stuart Sutcliffe's real talent was art, and he's influence on John Lennon was so strong that he saw similar qualities in Yoko Ono.

Comment

Serge Gainsbourg wrote:
                                Originally posted by Jah Womble
                                Andrew Ridgley

Her out of Deacon Blue
                                Lorraine McIntosh has a good voice, particularly on 'Real Gone Kid.'
                                That's very much a matter of opinion.

Comment

The two women in Human League

Were Pepsi and Shirley any good?

Comment

Yet would the League have gone stratospheric circa Dare without Susanne Sulley and Jo Catherall being added to the mix? Weirdly, it worked better than it ever ought to have done.

Auntie Beryl wrote: Andy Fletcher of Depeche Mode
                                    Hah, almost my first thought, even if they are my favourite band. As I joked early last year on the 'Bands still touring whose key members are absent thread', "Andy Fletcher is given a keyboard and a laptop on stage but I believe he just uses it to do the accounts spreadsheets." He nonetheless remains peculiarly integral to the band, even if he does act more like a manager than a musician, as his presence somehow glues everything together between the perhaps more clamorous personalities of Messrs Gore and Gahan.

Comment

Hasn't he basically been the band's manager at times over the years?

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Meg White.

Comment

Flynnie wrote: I can't believe nobody's mentioned Meg White.
                                        Low hanging fruit.

Wasn't one of the Bangles a complete passenger? I believe the "whistling solo" on Walk Like An Egyptian was credited to her to humour her, even though it was obviously played out on a synthesiser?

Comment

The Smiths managed to hold it together before - and after - Craig Gannon's involvement. Apparently a good guitarist, but I can't imagine he added much to the legacy.

Comment

Noel Gallagher often banged on about how terrible a drummer Tony McCarroll was, although others including early producer Owen Morris tell a different story. More likely was that Noel just didn't like him. Not sure how McCarroll feels looking back - having sued the band for a £600k pay-off (half of which went on his legal fees anyway), he could have earned royalties way in excess of that figure - and would still be earning twenty years on.

3 Colours Red wrote:
                                            Originally posted by Flynnie
                                            Low hanging fruit.
                                            Excuse me..?

Comment

Dieter Bohlen in Modern Talking.

Admittedly he wrote and produced all of their hits, but his only visible contribution was to jump around with a guitar and Pat Sharp mullet.

Comment

Stu Cook admits he was the fifth best vocalist in Creedence even after they shrunk to a trio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSBHYfsPAt0

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by 3 Colours Red
                                                  Originally posted by Flynnie
                                                  Low hanging fruit.
                                                  Excuse me..?
                                                  An easy pick - too easy.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X