Band Members with Least Musical Talent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Havencheese View Post
    When Madonna wears a guitar for a while live, just to look like a muso. Then again sans all her producers and songwriters, she is a solo artist so 'least talented' is confusing here.

She's at least still a pretty good dancer.
    Yes, but this seems to be a recurring them among frontmen (and women). It's as if strapping on a guitar and playing a few chords adds extra mystique and depth. I've seen Roger Daltrey, Freddie Mercury and Bono do it.

It's the equivalent of outfield footballers who fancy themselves as goalkeepers. Or goalkeepers who want to be centre-forwards..

Comment

The showman or woman has always been part of pop, though. Cliff Richard, Mick Jagger, Adam Faith, Marc Bolan, Adam Ant. Usually they have charisma, which is a talent in itself, like an actress who captivates on screen but cannot really act. It even happens in Indie with say early out of tune Morrissey. More puzzling are front men with no charisma. Whatever his faults, Morrissey is charismatic to many, but how did Freddie and the Dreamers pull it off, or Mud?

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
        Yes, but this seems to be a recurring them among frontmen (and women). It's as if strapping on a guitar and playing a few chords adds extra mystique and depth. I've seen Roger Daltrey, Freddie Mercury and Bono do it.

It's the equivalent of outfield footballers who fancy themselves as goalkeepers. Or goalkeepers who want to be centre-forwards..
        The René Higuitas of the music world.

Comment

Originally posted by Havencheese View Post
          When Madonna wears a guitar for a while live, just to look like a muso. Then again sans all her producers and songwriters, she is a solo artist so 'least talented' is confusing here.

She's at least still a pretty good dancer.
          Well, she works extremely hard at it - which I'm not sure is the same thing.

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
          The showman or woman has always been part of pop, though. Cliff Richard, Mick Jagger, Adam Faith, Marc Bolan, Adam Ant. Usually they have charisma, which is a talent in itself, like an actress who captivates on screen but cannot really act. It even happens in Indie with say early out of tune Morrissey. More puzzling are front men with no charisma. Whatever his faults, Morrissey is charismatic to many, but how did Freddie and the Dreamers pull it off, or Mud?
          With Freddie Garrity, it was his cheeky-chappy image - not to mention 'that' dance - that sold them. As for Mud, it was all about the overall look/image of the band as a whole (see also: The Rubettes, Showaddywaddy, etc): besides this, their big years were 1974-75, when sweet FA was happening in terms of UK pop, post-glam and pre-punk. They had little competition - and were happy to muck about and do that 'angel' dance on all the variety shows.

Comment

Madonna famously was totally ignored by the Hacienda audience on her first Tube performance - which qualifies for the Jackson 5 thread.

Comment

I see we have thread star ratings now. Fancy.
              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 28-06-2017, 00:27.

Comment

Shirley Manson. Although I am a fan of Garbage and she makes the whole concept work.

That's a good analysis upthread of what happened to Oasis. Definitely Maybe is still a huge album. Later when the musicians were better the music was infinitely more meh.

I'm not sure any of the Spice Girls were stand out musicians, but Victoria was probably the least musically talented. The others have had a modicum of solo success with vaguely listenable tunes.

Comment

The drummer (Brewer?) with Grand Funk Railroad. Couldn't keep time with a swiss watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                    Shirley Manson. Although I am a fan of Garbage and she makes the whole concept work.

That's a good analysis upthread of what happened to Oasis. Definitely Maybe is still a huge album. Later when the musicians were better the music was infinitely more meh.

I'm not sure any of the Spice Girls were stand out musicians, but Victoria was probably the least musically talented. The others have had a modicum of solo success with vaguely listenable tunes.
                    Bunton and C were the only ones who could carry a tune.

Comment

Indeed. Yet Geri Halliwell remains the only woman in UK chart history who can boast at least four number ones both solo and as a member of a group.

Let that sink in.

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
                        The drummer (Brewer?) with Grand Funk Railroad. Couldn't keep time with a swiss watch.
                        Yeah, but he did hit the drums with his head. I mean, did you ever see Gene Krupa do that.

Comment

Indeed. Yet Geri Halliwell remains the only woman in UK chart history who can boast at least four number ones both solo and as a member of a group. Let that sink in.

Beyoncé is unlucky on that score, with Destiny's Child having had two number ones and two number twos.

Comment

He said number twos.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                              Beyoncé is unlucky on that score, with Destiny's Child having had two number ones and two number twos.
                              She managed four chart-toppers with DC and five on her own in the USA, however is somewhat trumped by Diana Ross, who can boast no fewer than twelve - count them - with The Supremes and half as many again as a soloist.

Comment

Working...
                              X