No announcement yet.

Fyre Festival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, they were my thoughts too. "It'll all come out alright in the end if we just believe hard enough." (and everyone else does the work.) The Woodstock analogy, made by the older guy, casts a long shadow, but there were significant differences. Yes, it too was a colossal organizational and financial fuck-up, but it delivered because its promises weren't as ludicrous. It promised a three day festival, with a specific list of artists and that's what people got. They got the important stuff right. The lack of food, transportation, and toilet facilities were inconveniences but also part of the cultural zeitgeist at the time, that wasn't true of this effort, which seemed to promise Club Med with musical trimmings, way harder to deliver to an audience with much more critical expectations.

Comment

That was exactly what I thought about the Woodstock analogy. First, the guy was wrong that nobody remembers the mud, lack of water or overdoses from Woodstock. We all know about them.

But also Woodstock is remembered fondly because it was basically free, and there were a quarter of a million hippies many of whom had bought into an ideology of living frugally and accepting the conditions. One of New York's trust-fund entitled kids who's paid 3 grand to go to an island in the Bahamas to see Blink-182 is not going to have the same fond memories as a crusty hippy who's merely paid the gas to drive to upstate New York to see Hendrix, CSNY, Janis Joplin, CCR and the rest.

I thought the analogy showed just how deluded they all were, even now.

Comment

Disappointed that the Netflix doc didn't include a description of this meeting which resulted in the legendary quote:

With so little having been prepared ahead of time, the official verdict was that it would take $50 million to pull off. Planners also warned that it would be not be up to the standard they had advertised. The best idea, they said, would be to roll everyone's tickets over to 2018 and start planning for the next year immediately. They had a meeting with the Fyre execs to deliver the news. A guy from the marketing team said, "Let's just do it and be legends, man."

Comment

Mates, that programme. Where to start? Really a story like that should be a morality tale that brings to an end an era of society, but it hasn't and won't. There's no self-awareness from anyone, lots of reflection, lots of finger-pointing, lots of excuse making, but no self-awareness and no sense a lesson has been leant. We live in the age of the Emperor's New Dickhead. Absolutely everything people are fed is bollocks. Cig paper thin, style over substance bollocks. But no one wants to point it out. This programme does, but to what end? I mean, the whole influencer thing has always confused me, but it's still going on. There was a Twitter thread about some influencer called Caroline Calloway who was organising seminars or creativity workshops or some such shit and that all fell apart too. Hubris, big ideas, big promises, absolutely no delivery on it. These people are put on pedestals because they upload pictures to the internet. They think this makes them special. People think this makes them special. $150 to sit in a room with them and... what? Why are people spending this money? What do they think they can learn from these dickheads?

There has to come a point where people say no to these clowns. The Fyre wanker was surrounded by professionals who organise festivals for a living. It's not good enough to send an email one day before to say cancel it. They must have known from day 1 this wasn't possible. But no one said no. Because everyone is obsessed with what others think of them. No depth. No integrity. No professional pride. I had to organise a Christmas party for my punters in December and I couldn't sleep from stress, and all I had to do was text a DJ/Karaoke fella I've used before, plus sort out some scran. There is no way these people thought this was possible, and the minute they knew it wasn't they should have pulled the plug. Yes, Billy was a naive, optimistic, conman. But these people do it for a living. Professionals. The finger-pointing and buck-passing was pathetic. Feeding his ego, letting him soar higher and higher and higher (hyre, hyre and hyre?). None of them should ever work again.

I had a student work for me once who was writing a thesis on how we're entering an intellectual age of darkness. How before people were revered for achieving something. Thinkers, musicians, artists, philosophers. But now you can just be famous for being famous. Achieve nothing and live very well from it. This documentary is a culmination of that. Idiots elevating the normal to gods. And what's worse, they then aspire to do that same.

We're all fucked.

Comment

Jah Rule has always been shit, mind. Made famous by taking people's songs and making them worse.

Comment

He is always on time, though.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                But these people do it for a living. Professionals. The finger-pointing and buck-passing was pathetic. Feeding his ego, letting him soar higher and higher and higher (hyre, hyre and hyre?). None of them should ever work again.
                yeah Fuck Jerry (who should be shot just for their name) and that Yoga Boy beardo festival organizer can fuck the fuck off.

Comment

http://amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2019/...mpression=true

another piss poor past it rapper on the grift.

Comment

What sort of a name is Mdavid?

Comment

Of course yoga boy Marc Weinstein is now in cryptocurrency.

Comment

What sort of a name is Mdavid?
                        Jonatton Yeah? shit right there

Comment

I had to organise a Christmas party for my punters in December and I couldn't sleep from stress, and all I had to do was text a DJ/Karaoke fella I've used before, plus sort out some scran.
                          "EIM promised us gourmet rice and three but there was no three, just cold alphabet spaghetti. And the rice was puffed rice, like breakfast cereal. 8/10 - will definitely use again."

Comment

All this. And Blink-182.

Comment

Besides the locals, I actually felt worse for the trust fund dweebs than anyone else. Obviously mattress piss boy can fuck off, but that did not seem like a pleasant place to be or to get out of. No one reasonably expects people to fuck up organizing something that badly. Locking them in the airport without food or water seemed pretty awful.

I found everybody who worked for Fyre to be pretty unsympathetic, except the older guy who thought he was going to have to suck dick. I don't know why.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                                Besides the locals, I actually felt worse for the trust fund dweebs than anyone else. Obviously mattress piss boy can fuck off, but that did not seem like a pleasant place to be or to get out of. No one reasonably expects people to fuck up organizing something that badly. Locking them in the airport without food or water seemed pretty awful.
                                That was a strange detail and now I'm wondering what was behind it. After all they were on an otherwise fully functioning holiday island and while there was some talk of it being stupidly booked on the same weekend as a sailing regatta (which is apparently the busiest weekend of the year), even if they couldn't get beds there would be places to go for food and drink? Or did they just all head for the airport and start carrying themselves on when it became evident that there weren't flights immediately available to take them home?

Comment

Having looked into it a bit more it is claimed that they were locked in for safety reasons and I think the film did talk about attempted robberies after it all started going tits up, so fair enough if they didn't fancy going into town for a quiet pint...

Comment

So many hateable people in the documentary. Most of the facts I was already familiar with, but what struck me the most was McFarland's bizarre obsession with filming everything. Like, even the scam he was running while on bail for the Fyre scam. He's a prosecutor's dream.

Comment

Of all the things 'caught' on camera, for all time, piss-boy was honestly the only one where we said "Why the fuck would you cop to that on camera?"

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                                        I found everybody who worked for Fyre to be pretty unsympathetic, except the older guy who thought he was going to have to suck dick. I don't know why.
                                        I think it was because he seemed to have a trace of humanity. I felt sorry for him.

Comment

Him, and also anyone who tried to speak truth to the sociopath and was promptly removed from their role: the amateur pilot and the social media guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
                                            I'll admit I giggled when he said "head of cock, customs". But I kind of lost sympathy for him when after saying he went home and showered after the call from McFarland or whoever, he didn't say "And then I resigned". Also, it wasn't entirely clear to me what their prior involvement was but he said something along the lines of working with him for years. He knew what he was like and he still went along with all this shit, to the very end, without either saying no or calling the authorities. Presumably he was involved in that Magnises bullshit as well.

Comment

He had more apparent humanity than all the NY Tech Douches, but early on he said that he'd long been involved with McFarland and had done tons of stuff with him, so I didn't have all that much sympathy. More worryingly, I thought he looked and sounded and phrased everything like he was a character from a Steve Martin SNL sketch

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/4evrmalone/status/1124293684214812674?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Well, he should have his liver plucked out by eagles forever...

Comment

Surely it would need to be replaced occasionally for this to happen 'forever'?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X